U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,120,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Lol.....100F is much more than "some" late-winter warmth , and they suffer through 6-8 months of that weather so I see why it would be annoying. How annoyed would you be if it was below 0F in late August?
Actually they don't. 100F temps there are the exception rather than rule year round, summer highs tend to stick in the 25-33C range due to the dominant NE/SE winds and seabreezes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 07:29 PM

29,910 posts, read 9,074,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Actually they don't. 100F temps there are the exception rather than rule year round, summer highs tend to stick in the 25-33C range due to the dominant NE/SE winds and seabreezes.
Yeah I was talking about Laredo, TX. They can have 100+ weather for more than 6 months of the year.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:48 AM

60 posts, read 86,702 times
In the Kimberely and Pilbara , Yes. In Melbourne however, you'd be replicating London's extreme cloudiness.

Btw, Perth is not the perpetual sunshine and heat heaven that people here are banging on about. They get some strong cold fronts in winter which bring extended periods of cloudiness, cold and rain, so beware. Like any other location on the southern half of Australia, it is prone to some truly garbage weather in any time outside of summer, but some summer months can be cold. It is not the Sahara desert that the Perth residents on this forum seem believe it is

I haven't studied Perth's weather but i have been looking at it pretty much every day in the last year and it seemed hot in the summer and warm in the winter. NT seemed hot all year round

Old 08-27-2009, 09:46 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,120,011 times
NT is hot all year round, well the northern half is. The southern half does get cold in winter. In Alice springs, daytime highs of 9-10C are not unknown and nights frequently drop below freezing.

Darwin is the best place - year round warmth, and awesome huge spectacular storms in summer.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:04 PM

2,400 posts, read 2,905,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah2911 View Post
Sydney has hit it's warmest day on record at 38.1C. It's winter!!!! We dont hit that in the summer in boring London
Sarah - thought you may like to have a read of this (About this month's hotter than usual weather):

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/curren...ents/scs18.pdf

Old 08-27-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah2911 View Post
I haven't studied Perth's weather but i have been looking at it pretty much every day in the last year and it seemed hot in the summer and warm in the winter. NT seemed hot all year round
Correct. Perth gets hot in the summer, heat-waves occur when winds blow from the east but it's dry, not humid although it can get so sometimes after a cooler wind change. Winter is changeable with showery/windy periods but a week of fine days can occur. August last year saw Perth getting almost no rain and almost 265 hours of sun. Winter nights can be quite cold however, minimums can drop to zero but only a few times per year. Perth is the second sunniest state capital after Darwin, both get over 3,000 hours of sun per annum.

NT is hot, seeing as you like sunshine, the "Dry" is the best time to go travelling. The "Wet" is hot, humid with storms every afternoon and rain can be very heavy. Cyclones can occur but they don't happen every year. Last major cyclone Darwin had was Tracy in December 1974 and boy did Tracy nearly wipe out the whole city.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Melbourne gets 600-700 more hours of sunshine than London!

If you want some climate facts about Perth:

Climate statistics for Australian locations
Quite so. All state capitals (including Hobart) gets far more sun (2100 -2200 for Hobart and over 2300 for others) than any major UK city (except the southern part where averages 1900 - 2100 hours).

Old 08-27-2009, 02:18 PM

5,127 posts, read 7,292,120 times
Even there, the only UK location with a reliable quoted average over 1900 hrs is Bognor, which averaged about 1905 for 1971-2000. Channel Islands may be a little higher but it's not easy to get data from the money-grabbing UK met office - I've emailed them several times and got no response.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:17 PM

Typical of the UK met office aye!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:29 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,317,137 times
I love tropics because of the ocean breezes and sounds of the palms in the wind, but as far as temps.....Warm during the day (70-83ish) with cool ocean breezes and clear to partly cloudy skies Cooler nights with clear skies, but not below 40's. I love tropical weather but starting to dislike humidity. Great sunsets over the ocean, but I love to be out of town away from all the bright lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather