U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:02 PM

9,594 posts, read 24,949,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
My favorite climate is mild in winter, hot but dry in summer...
I'd take Spain, Southern Italy, Greece, California....plenty of other locations, no doubt.

I am in the wrong place as far as climate goes... cold and wet New England! Other than the climate, I love it though.... LOL.
A true Meditteranean climate is one of the climate types that's also appealling for me too.

It really is confusing for me when most days are not 85+ F (29+ C) with mostly sunny conditions when it's supposed to be summer.

I love it when it's above 90 F (32+ C) yet under 45% humidity...
which would be pretty much all summer long in places like Athens or Madrid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,064,673 times
Yer I agree. I used to find Melbourne's summers nice but then i saw the big picture and our summers are very dissapointing when compared to ALOT of other places at similar latitudes.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:49 AM

312 posts, read 1,424,381 times
well,we have days above 35°C,but I don't like it

Old 07-26-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Yer I agree. I used to find Melbourne's summers nice but then i saw the big picture and our summers are very dissapointing when compared to ALOT of other places at similar latitudes.
Compared to Europe, Toronto's entire climate is shockingly cold.

At the same latitude, you have France's Meditterranean coast.
Venice, Italy is north of Toronto.
If Venice were in Canada, it's canals would be frozen solid 2-3 months a year.

*Meditterranean is noted for having milder than typical weather for its latitude.

I also noticed looking on a map, Bagdad Iraq is slightly north of Altanta and Los Angeles,
yet Bagdad's winters average about 70 F (21 C) and summers 115 F (45 C)
making it's annual average probably hotter than some sea level locations in the tropics.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:42 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,064,673 times
Actually Baghdad averages about 3-13ºC in winter, and therefore believe it or not their winters are colder than Melbourne's

Baghdad's summers are to die for though, average low 24C and high 42C.

Some of the world's highest annual average temps are actually found right here in AUstralia, the small towns of Wyndham and Fitzroy Crossing have an ANNUAL average HIGH temp of 35.6ºC According to Wikipedia, Fitzroy Crossing is the world's hottest permanently inhabited settlement.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme...laces_on_Earth

http://www.freewebs.com/extremeclima...aceonearth.htm

I'm sure there are regions near those areas at lower elevations and without weather stations that exceed 36ºC, maybe even 37C annual averages.

Last edited by §AB; 07-26-2008 at 07:59 AM..

Old 07-26-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Actually Baghdad averages about 3-13ºC in winter, and therefore believe it or not their winters are colder than Melbourne's

Baghdad's summers are to die for though, average low 24C and high 42C.

Some of the world's highest annual average temps are actually found right here in AUstralia, the small towns of Wyndham and Fitzroy Crossing have an ANNUAL average HIGH temp of 35.6ºC According to Wikipedia, Fitzroy Crossing is the world's hottest permanently inhabited settlement.
Extremes on Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Extreme Climates | It'll take you all over the world

I'm sure there are regions near those areas at lower elevations and without weather stations that exceed 36ºC, maybe even 37C annual averages.
Really? Well that's the same winter temp as Atlanta, but summer is another 10 C hotter.

I'm not surprised there are hot places in Australia, even hottest in the world as there are many dry places close to the tropics or in the tropics.

After you finish school, is there a chance you might be able to live and work in one of those hot, small northern Australia towns?

Old 07-26-2008, 05:56 PM

574 posts, read 1,160,832 times
Perth has a true Mediterranean climate! so does Adelaide.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:50 PM

174 posts, read 477,994 times
The original poster's summary of Perth sounds exactly like Los Angeles to me. LA is okay except for August and September - much too hot.

Quote:
have to say Perth has the best climate in the world

Winter temps: Max: 60-70F Min: 40-50F
Summer temps: Max: 75-95F Min: 60-65F

Summer has mostly sunny days with an odd storm
Winter has rainy days with suny breaks in between the wet days
I'm a cool weather person myself. San Francisco is better than LA, but the coast of British Columbia has always held an appeal for me - even with the rain. I just NEVER want to see the temperature rise above 80 degrees F.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:19 AM

9 posts, read 17,360 times
I saw people getting confused on how the mediterranean in europe has milder winters than cities on the same latitude in canada. The answer is very simple. While latitude is a component in determining the weather in any given location, so too is the surface land area. Land heats up faster than water, and also cools down faster than water. There is more land in canada whereas Italy and the like is tempered by the mediterranean ocean, thus giving canada colder winters!

This is also illustrated by the fact that Florida is below much of the latitude of the sahara desert. The sahara desert is land, and florida is surrounded by water. The sahara desert sustaines temperatures well above 50C (122F) all summer, while Florida's summer is almost always sustained in the 90'sF (32-37C).

Old 08-07-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...D-Man... View Post
I saw people getting confused on how the mediterranean in europe has milder winters than cities on the same latitude in canada. The answer is very simple. While latitude is a component in determining the weather in any given location, so too is the surface land area. Land heats up faster than water, and also cools down faster than water. There is more land in canada whereas Italy and the like is tempered by the mediterranean ocean, thus giving canada colder winters!

This is also illustrated by the fact that Florida is below much of the latitude of the sahara desert. The sahara desert is land, and florida is surrounded by water. The sahara desert sustaines temperatures well above 50C (122F) all summer, while Florida's summer is almost always sustained in the 90'sF (32-37C).
That explains our colder winters,
but not our our springs, falls and perhaps even summer too.

Can you imagine the French Riviera, a place of sunsine and tall palm trees with an annual daytime high of 52 F. (11 C)
Honestly I don't know what their annual average is, but I'd be stunned if it was not at least 68-74 F (20-23 C)

Toronto's "hottest" () month only averages 80 F (27 C) in the day and 60 F (16 C) at night.
Again I do not know what the averages are in the French Riviera,
but I'll take an educated-guess and say they're probably 83-90 F (28-32)
with overnight lows no cooler than 62-67 F (17-19 C)

So even though we're at the same latitude and nearly the same altitude,
I suspect the French Riviera is a full 10 Celcius (18 F) warmer than Toronto year round,
with an annual average of say, 21 C in the day and 12 C at night.

*Am I wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or