U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 PM

893 posts, read 2,608,806 times

Advertisements

Definetly Toronto, Chicago and Indinapolis.

Hot summers with thunderstorms.
Cold snowy winters.
Nice Falls and Springs.

Whats not to love?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 11:40 AM

5,835 posts, read 4,354,287 times
Cool crisp fall weather is the best. I hate to sweat!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 PM

9,594 posts, read 24,974,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post

Cold snowy winters.
Nice Falls and Springs.

Whats not to love?
I WOULD LOVE TORONTO, IF THE CLIMATE ACTUALLY FELT THAT WAY! (to me)

But to me, Toronto has:

Warmish summers with thunderstorms
Winters so cold it could rip your skin off your bones
Cold, dreary and sometimes snowy Falls and Springs (cool and sunny, when we're lucky)

Old 08-09-2008, 08:12 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,668,376 times
I like cold rainy weather . anywhere.
I hate hot weather . I become ill

Old 08-09-2008, 08:13 AM

29,910 posts, read 9,017,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post

Cold snowy winters.
Nice Falls and Springs.

Whats not to love?
I agree w/ everything except the Hot Summer part.

hey Monaliza, i love cold rainy weather also

Old 08-09-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I agree w/ everything except the Hot Summer part.

hey Monaliza, i love cold rainy weather also
I suppose to some people 45-59 F weather under mostly overcast skies would count as "Nice" or "Pleasant" Fall and Spring,
but for most people here we think it's kind of gross usually.

*Example: No one would "love" to have a picnic in our typical Fall or Spring weather, outside of the earliest weeks in fall or the latest weeks in spring.

Most people here would call "Nice" Fall or Spring weather 60-70 F with sunshine "Nice," but that is not normal.
This kind of weather only happens in Spring or Fall when we have unusually warm and dry weather.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 08-09-2008 at 10:34 AM..

Old 08-09-2008, 12:25 PM

32 posts, read 74,657 times
Is it "only" the case that weather in Toronto is unfavourable, or does it also matter that inhabitants of that Canadian city experience worse weather than most people in other developed countries (especially the USA, because the main comparison is probably with other North-American regions)?

If the latter is the case, than maybe it helps that in the ‘other’ continent (i.e. Europe) circumstances are usually vastly worse. Many sites in Europe, like London or Amsterdam, does not have a ‘real’ summer. For most Europeans, moving is not an easy task, because that needs emigration and hence, learning a new language.

Could you agree that an average of 2038 sunshine hours per year or a daily high of 26,5°C in July (1961-1990) isn't that bad? Hence, the great question is whether absolute or relative figures matter.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piazza View Post
Could you agree that an average of 2038 sunshine hours per year or a daily high of 26,5°C in July (1961-1990) isn't that bad?

Hence, the great question is whether absolute or relative figures matter.
Toronto doesn't average that much sunshine...
The numbers are more like 1900 hours.
Ottawa away from the Great Lakes gets over 2000 hours, but also a lot more cold.
London Ontario about 2 hours west gets 1800 hours of sunshine and is quite the soggy and snowy place.
We're somewhere in between.

I'd like zero summer days below 27 C, so I suppose I'll need to immigrate.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:34 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,950,328 times
Piazza, I don't know the answer to your question, but I can say that the weather where Cold Canadian lives isn't that pleasant. We had exchanged a DM at one time for the specific places that he and I live. We did a weather comparison and my weather in So. Dak. is actually worse then his. If I remember correctly, my summers are warmer, but my winters are also colder. And you probably know that I don't even live in the very coldest part of the U.S. No. Dak., Wyo., Mont., and Mn. are colder states then my own.

The problem for CC is that he can't relocate like many of us can. There are those of us who don't like the weather where we live~winter is my least fave here. But unfortunately some people just have a few more years until retiring from their employer or have family in their area so moving is just difficult.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piazza View Post
For most Europeans, moving is not an easy task, because that needs emigration and hence, learning a new language.
True, I suppose I'm lucky there.

But then again it's also annoying that people who's speech is nearly identical to mine live in places like Hawaii, Florida, Arizona etc.; places where some residents complain about the persistant warmth/heat/sun and wishing to see snow, which to a Canadian sounds like they're living on a different planet. Sometimes I've wished I couldn't understand what they were saying, so it might make sense to why I live where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or