U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:15 PM

29,910 posts, read 9,007,482 times

Advertisements

I like having cold, snowy winters and warm, humid summers with a good amount of storms during summer....so a place like Chicago or Minneapolis would be ideal for me
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:51 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,063,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah2911 View Post
I'd love to live in either Perth, Sydney or Adelaide. Or Dallas or Houston. They all have hot weather and I love the heat. Not like London which is cold and grey all day long in the summer. Slightest bit of warmth we get and they call it a heat wave here. I'd love to be a weather presenter. In the UK they get so cheery when the weather hits 70. I'd be depressed-looking on the tv until the weather hit 105 but this is london so we'd never hit that
Perth, Sydney and Adelaide are all icy cold compared to Dallas or Houston. Sure, Dallas has slightly colder winters, but a Dallas or Houston summer craps all over Perth, Sydney and Adelaide.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:20 AM

2,400 posts, read 2,878,674 times
Quote:
Perth is by far and all the best for summer heat. Sydney does not get as hot as Perth but the humidity would have you think otherwise.

Sydney is just beautiful. I understand it might not be as hot as Perth but Manly is beautiful
Good for you , can totally understand how Sydney's weather/beaches can appeal to a Londoner. We've got the annual influx of backpackers from Europe/UK flocking in now for the summer season.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:24 PM

3,792 posts, read 7,071,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Perth, Sydney and Adelaide are all icy cold compared to Dallas or Houston. Sure, Dallas has slightly colder winters, but a Dallas or Houston summer craps all over Perth, Sydney and Adelaide.
Not really. Dallas' winter is more than just slightly colder than those cities. Their winters are warm compared most North American cities, but it would probably be freezing to most Australians. It's cooler than Melbourne in the winter. They get a few ice or snow storms each winter. However, the summers, particularly this one, are brutal like you like it.

I like the semi-arid, four-season-type climates near the Rocky Mountains. Cities like Colorado Springs, Denver, Boise and Spokane. I like Lubbock's climate well enough, but it's a little warmer than I would like. I want more snow and less 90+ temperatures.

Last edited by Westerner92; 08-22-2009 at 05:33 PM..

Old 08-24-2009, 12:36 AM

5,127 posts, read 7,184,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Neither Dallas nor (especially) Houston see anywhere near the levels of sunshine that Perth (or even Adelaide) get in summer - and they are both humid, especially Houston. IT people in IBM and other companies refused to shift to Dallas until the air-conditioning era was properly underway. I'd pick Perth in a flash, and neither of the other two for any kind of money.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:13 AM

11,340 posts, read 18,024,727 times
Extreme Heat is my type of weather. The Northeast/Southeast/Southwest US supplies this type of weather.

I choose Tampa, FL .

Old 08-24-2009, 07:46 AM

60 posts, read 86,350 times
Sydney has hit it's warmest day on record at 38.1C. It's winter!!!! We dont hit that in the summer in boring London

Old 08-24-2009, 07:09 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,063,011 times
Quote:
Sydney has hit it's warmest day on record at 38.1C. It's winter!!!! We dont hit that in the summer in boring London
That is wrong. Obviously the stupid media can't get their facts right, as per bloody usual.

The actual high temp in Sydney was 24C. That 38C (38.0 exactly) was recorded in Evans Head, a small coastal village near the NSW/Queensland border - Nowhere near Sydney!!

Old 08-25-2009, 02:47 AM

2,400 posts, read 2,878,674 times
Quote:
Certainly got nowhere as hot as that thank goodness!

Sydney's hottest August day on record goes to 1995 with 31oC.

Maximum yesterday (to 9am today) was 23oC but that was in the early hours of yesterday morning, in fact the temperature dropped progressively to be 17oC by 5pm and was overcast (from mid morning onwards) with afternoon and evening rain.

(Yesterday, Monday 24th) - Parts of the North Coast (of NSW) exceeded 35oC with 35.5 at Lismore; 36.7 Ballina; 36.1 Yamba and 37.6 for Evans Head. Mungindi recorded 37.8oC - highest ever August temperature for anywhere in NSW, more details on the link: Summer days in winter continue to break more records in NSW

Note how previous highest temperatures prior to this one were broken by a margin of up to 6 degrees in some cases!

Old 08-25-2009, 08:14 PM

2,789 posts, read 5,641,552 times
I need to move to Oz...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or