Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:29 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I checked the stats. Something fishy here. I notice a few off stats for some other stations on the NOAA list. Especially when Sacramento is so much cloudier in winter 46% and 72% for Redding? No way. Yet Redding gets more precipitation in winter than Sacramento.
Check it out with NOAA.

Quoted averages to 2008: (monthly, annual %)

72 82 85 90 91 94 97 97 94 92 84 73 88.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Check it out with NOAA.

Quoted averages to 2008: (monthly, annual %)

72 82 85 90 91 94 97 97 94 92 84 73 88.
Those are the stats I saw. I also saw no. cloudy days and Redding gets 18 in January which is more than the 16 reported by Sacramento. Sounds like a pretty cloudy place in winter to me (Melbourne-like cloudiness), while I'm not sure even sunny Miami gets 72% sun in Jan.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:12 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Those are the stats I saw. I also saw no. cloudy days and Redding gets 18 in January which is more than the 16 reported by Sacramento. Sounds like a pretty cloudy place in winter to me (Melbourne-like cloudiness), while I'm not sure even sunny Miami gets 72% sun in Jan.
Those "cloudy/partly cloudy/clear" descriptions are pretty subjective and I attach little value to them, especially since studies have shown that the correlation with sunshine totals is not as firm as you might think. As someone living in a country which is cloudy compared to much of the US, I'd like to think the sunshine totals there are exaggerated, but I don't really think it is so.

You should also note that the Redding average is only for 10 years, and the other places you cited in northen Calif. may have done better in those same years than in their overall period of record.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:31 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Those "cloudy/partly cloudy/clear" descriptions are pretty subjective and I attach little value to them, especially since studies have shown that the correlation with sunshine totals is not as firm as you might think. As someone living in a country which is cloudy compared to much of the US, I'd like to think the sunshine totals there are exaggerated, but I don't really think it is so.

You should also note that the Redding average is only for 10 years, and the other places you cited in northen Calif. may have done better in those same years than in their overall period of record.
Even counting that 72% in the middle of winter? I dunno, even for a 10 year period it's hard to imagine Redding having Phoenix-like sunniness. 10 years is absolutely unreliable as a guide to climate anyhow, so they must have had winter drought conditions in the past 10 years for such high sunshine totals.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:57 AM

Location: From the Shanghai Metro Region in China to the New York TriState Region in USA.
12 posts, read 32,680 times
70 Degrees with Overcast skies, since I want a variety of weather, and San Fran is most likely the perfect match but it has Earthquakes, which totally draws me away, :P...

Old 04-10-2010, 12:53 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times
I would have to say that IMO I truly feel that Portland OR or Seattle would have my preferred kind of climate. I have talked about this in previous posts. Also, another city that I think should get credit but does not get enough credit is Tokyo. Although its summers can be hot and sticky, they are tolerable enough due to the reason that its air quality is not as dirty and smoggy as my current location of Los Angeles. Smog is the big reason why I get bothered by the summers out here more than any other reason, that and the enormous amount of dust buildup inside and outside of the home and the general lack of rain. I visited Tokyo in 2005 in the middle of summer and if I had to be totally honest, it really was not as bad as some may think. Yes it was hot and humid, but not unbearable. Winters are chilly but not as cold as the Midwest. I have been told Fall and Spring are the best months in Tokyo. I just checked its 10 day forecast and weather is in the 50s and 60s with few days of showers Who can complain about that? I would do anything to be there now. Tokyo is one of those places that has left such a lasting good image in my heart and it is a gem when it comes to weather

Last edited by AliveandWell; 04-10-2010 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: typing error

Old 04-12-2010, 03:20 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,772,561 times
I actually enjoy the rain! I love rainy days & even more rainy nights with stormy weather.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:36 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I would have to say that IMO I truly feel that Portland OR or Seattle would have my preferred kind of climate. I have talked about this in previous posts. Also, another city that I think should get credit but does not get enough credit is Tokyo. Although its summers can be hot and sticky, they are tolerable enough due to the reason that its air quality is not as dirty and smoggy as my current location of Los Angeles. Smog is the big reason why I get bothered by the summers out here more than any other reason, that and the enormous amount of dust buildup inside and outside of the home and the general lack of rain. I visited Tokyo in 2005 in the middle of summer and if I had to be totally honest, it really was not as bad as some may think. Yes it was hot and humid, but not unbearable. Winters are chilly but not as cold as the Midwest. I have been told Fall and Spring are the best months in Tokyo. I just checked its 10 day forecast and weather is in the 50s and 60s with few days of showers Who can complain about that? I would do anything to be there now. Tokyo is one of those places that has left such a lasting good image in my heart and it is a gem when it comes to weather
I also think Tokyo looks pretty good for a cloudy climate.
(not a fan of cloud, but Tokyo's stats are pretty decent if I had to be somewhere cloudy )

Old 04-12-2010, 08:30 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Tokyo is too cold in the winter for me... its averages in winter are only a few degrees warmer than where I am in Vancouver. It has to be minimum 65F in winter for me to find it enjoyable.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:03 AM

42 posts, read 105,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Perfect weather:

- low 70's F in the early morning (21-23 C)
- 80's late morning until noon (27-31 C)
- low-90's F all afternoon (32-34 C)
- cooling to low 80's not a minute before sunset (27-29 C)
- staying above 75 F until at least mid-night (24 C)

Basically, this is pretty similar to the typical daytime forecast of your hotter Caribbean winter destinations.

Toronto is getting a day exactly like this today.

Last time it was this warm was in early October 2007,
about 2 months later than typical for that kind of "heat wave"
how the heck can anyone like this weather?

as for me, anything a little bit cooler than Los Angeles (where I'm from and have been for most of my life). As soon as I graduate from school, I'm gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather