Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:52 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomineMalum View Post
irish_bob, I know. I've been doing some research myself. I would wager a bet that the sunniest part of Ireland (1550 hours) is the Dublin area and the 1150 hours area is on the northwestern coast (which is not that heavily populated), right?
There are all sorts of national sunshine maps in this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...ies-world.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 02:18 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:
Weather just happens to be a very subjective matter to people. I see that you are interested mainly in the purely meteorological and not so much in the human aspect of the subject. Me? I tend to say, who cares if the weather is particularly bad on the top of some particular mountain or on some island where hardly anybody lives. Besides, this thread is specifically about cities with little sunshine. I doubt whether there are a whole lot of major cities with a population of more than 500,000 (like Dortmund and Essen in Germany) where the sun shines 1350 hours a year or less. So, I don't quite see where my post is out of line.
I didn't say it was out of line - but given the huge range of preferences, it would be better if any selection was qualified by stating what the desirable and undesirable climate types are for the poster. Some will write off a place simply because they find it "boring". - e.g. the guy who slagged off San Diego.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:21 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:
irish_bob, I know. I've been doing some research myself. I would wager a bet that the sunniest part of Ireland (1550 hours) is the Dublin area and the 1150 hours area is on the northwestern coast (which is not that heavily populated), right?
There's an expert on this in another forum:

UKweatherworld Forums

Look for the poster "Butterfly" who has tons of Irish stats.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:37 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Mecca

Old 06-30-2012, 03:07 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Manaus does it for me.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:08 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
NomineMalum has a point. Those places in Germany probably are the cloudiest cities of their size anywhere in the world. As for what a "city" is, I'd put the threshold at 100 000 at the most, probably closer to 30 000. I think that includes many duller places than the dullest major cities. Reykjavik at 1269 sun hours and a population of 200 000 would have to be a contender.

As for this thread being about the cloudiest cities, the OP mentioned absolutely nothing about sunshine . This thread isn't even about sunshine, unless the cloudiest cities represent the worst weather for you. Cloudiness is not universally reviled; there are many who like cloudiness, and even among sun-lovers there are often worse things than sunshine. A good example would be Mount Washington - even most sun-lovers would prefer Reykjavik over Mount Washington despite Reykjavik being cloudier because Mount Washington is much colder and windier (most sun-lovers dislike cold).

I don't know what you mean by the human aspect, but for what it's worth most mountains are visited by humans (including every single mountaineer), and some mountains are inhabited (Mount Washington for one). I am much more interested in meteorology than the human impacts in terms of population, but even using your criteria mountains aren't completely irrelevant.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:15 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
no , the sunniest is the south east , wexford and waterford , known as the sunny south east

dublin has above average sunshine however and recieves the least rainfall of any part of the country

Old 06-30-2012, 05:29 PM

116 posts, read 267,360 times
Patricius, sorry you're right. The thread is about "worst" not "least sunny" weather. I guess those two terms truly are synonymous for me. Call me single-minded ;-)

Old 06-30-2012, 06:18 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
That's okay. You're as entitled to post your idea of a cloudy hell just as much as Dunno is entitled to post his idea of hot sunny hell.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:19 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,183,689 times
The deserts of the Middle East, American Southwest... basically any hot desert climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather