Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which warm temp do you prefer?
60's 46 18.40%
70's 112 44.80%
80's 60 24.00%
90's 32 12.80%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:09 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piazza View Post
Ah, temperature range in Melbourne arent that **** boring as in Amsterdam. This month: 19-22°C for weeks, and weeks and weeks.
That almost describes the weather here this last February. Truly vile.

Quote:
On Dec 10, 2006 it was an pleasant 42°C in Melbourne . And yes, this was a record heat (maybe is was a little too hot). Two days later, on Dec 12, the thermometer reads 19°C. Dec 13: 32°C !! It seems like life is adventurous there
That's exactlky what I hate about Melboune. You get those frequent crappy cold days mixed with the proper summer days. That's just gross and it also means that it gets cold at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 03:50 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piazza View Post
Very roughly, I can distinguish three climates:
The good: Los Angeles
The bad: Seattle, Vancouver
The ugly: Amsterdam (NL), London (UK)
Amsterdam and London have better climate than Seattle and Vancouver?

Old 08-23-2008, 05:47 PM

Seattle wins over Amsterdam and London but Vancouver on the other hand probably ties in the crappiness stakes.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:21 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Seattle wins over Amsterdam and London but Vancouver on the other hand probably ties in the crappiness stakes.
At least Vancouver has mountains and if you drive a few hours east to some of the mountain valleys you're in a nearly-desert climate,
where summer temps at 40 C are not unheard of.

IMHO, the best way to live in Canada would be to spend November to March near the Pacific coast
(you will get your butt whooped by cold everywhere else, plus all-day sunshine in winter is not common coast to coast anyways)
and the rest of the time in the southern interior of B.C. ...
or around Windsor if you like higher nighttime temps but with less sun and a lot more humidity.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
At least Vancouver has mountains and if you drive a few hours east to some of the mountain valleys you're in a nearly-desert climate,
where summer temps at 40 C are not unheard of.
Yup but just *thinking* about Vancouver's climate makes me ill. I;d just settle in those Mountain Valleys and enjoy having Canada's best weather

Quote:
IMHO, the best way to live in Canada would be to spend November to March near the Pacific coast
The only thing worse than Melbourne weather is: (Melbourne weather - 5 to 10ºC) + (drizzle + rainfall + skin penetrating wind) x Horror squared.

The answer to that equation is leaning over a toilet bowl and puking ya intestines out..

Quote:
(you will get your butt whooped by cold everywhere else, plus all-day sunshine in winter is not common coast to coast anyways)
and the rest of the time in the southern interior of B.C. ...
or around Windsor if you like higher nighttime temps but with less sun and a lot more humidity.
I don't know but I find cloud and drizzle intolerable. I'd rather -10C and snow over 0-5C and ugly cold rain/drizzle.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
The only thing worse than Melbourne weather is: (Melbourne weather - 5 to 10ºC) + (drizzle + rainfall + skin penetrating wind) x Horror squared.

The answer to that equation is leaning over a toilet bowl and puking ya intestines out..

I don't know but I find cloud and drizzle intolerable. I'd rather -10C and snow over 0-5C and ugly cold rain/drizzle.
Your winter temperature scale is a little high...
Warmest average in January in any part of Canada is only +6 C;
so that means highs from +3 C to +9 C most of the time,
not +5 C to +10 C.

Suit yourself, but my fingers sting almost-exponentially worse as the temperatures drop each degree below 7 C.
Because of this, I'll always be happier having "above freezing with gloom" to having -10 C or colder.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:49 PM

In any case, 35C is better than all of the above. According to the poll, we're a minority

Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
In any case, 35C is better than all of the above. According to the poll, we're a minority
No, we're a majority. I posted a link today on another thread and happened to notice that the site has two questions that you can vote on. One of them was if you prefer warm or cold weather. Only 35% of the responders (at the time I saw it) preferred the cold.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
No, we're a majority. I posted a link today on another thread and happened to notice that the site has two questions that you can vote on. One of them was if you prefer warm or cold weather. Only 35% of the responders (at the time I saw it) preferred the cold.
Funny!

And if you only asked Canadians, I think it'd be pretty safe to say 10% or less would pick cold.
Is that about the same as you'd suspect from your neighbours in Mitchell, S.D.?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Do Australians have a different scale of what's warm and what's not?

It seems fairly universal that in Canada and the U.S. 70's F are considered warm, even 70 F itself. That's only 21 Celcius.
In Canada and maybe a lot of the U.S. too, 65+ F (18+ C) could easily count as warmth.

For myself, 80's F is the only category that's always entirely "warm." (27-31 C)
*70's F is cool from 70-74 F and 90's is hot from 95-99 F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather