Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 12:59 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Heathrow averages 9-18C during May, so it doesn't look too unusual. Just a bit cloudier than usual.
The average high for today is 18c, by the end of the forecast period it is 20c. That gives about 5 days in the forecast which are average. They have just updated it, when I originally posted it, there were 3 days with highs of 19c, and nothing higher

It's really cloudy as well, we should be seeing 6-7 hours per day on average.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
The average high for today is 18c, by the end of the forecast period it is 20c. That gives about 3 days in the forecast which are average or above.
The 14 day forecast isn't that accurate, I'd only use the 8 day forecast. Only two maybe three days are not within 2°C of the forecast high and the rest are close. So doesn't seem atypical in temperature, though not sunshine.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:08 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Meh the temperatures aren't too bad, by the end of May the average is about 20C..

But the cloudy rubbish just sucks. Fed up of it, after having a sunny start to the year, it all goes down the bin once May comes around, in time for summer. The 15C highs don't really help either.. 'inbetween' temperatures where it can feel OK in the sun, but cold without it.

Is it increased convective or stratus cloud?

Late spring/early summer is our cloudiest time of the year, so I'm used to a bit more cloud at that time of year, as convective buildup means a higher chance of afternoon cloud.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:14 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,407,199 times
Quote:
Is it increased convective or stratus cloud?

Late spring/early summer is our cloudiest time of the year, so I'm used to a bit more cloud at that time of year, as convective buildup means a higher chance of afternoon cloud.
Oh, it changed just as I came to this thread lol.. well not so bad any more.. the 7-14 day is always a guess anyway but is usually a trend for what to expect.

Hmm at the moment it is stratus.. into July it becomes less so.. from now until August is our sunniest period of the year!

(I always wondered why places in Scotland have May as their sunniest month?)

Old 05-15-2015, 01:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
I'm surprised how much you mention convection in your climate. It seems like you have more of it than us. Except for high dew points, convection rarely leads to enough cloud to block the sun. Stratus clouds today.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:57 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,691,940 times
Slight warm up, but no 20C - days

Old 05-15-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm surprised how much you mention convection in your climate. It seems like you have more of it than us. Except for high dew points, convection rarely leads to enough cloud to block the sun. Stratus clouds today.
Convection cloud is very common here. The difference is that the sea is always close enough for cooler air to be drawn in, so convection cloud doesn't mean hot temperatures.

Convection means cloud and reduced sunshine here, as the afternoon sun is closer to the hills where the cloud typically forms.

I don't get why your climate gets convection without cloud build up -isn't it typical for convection to lead to cloud?.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:25 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
No 20C here either:

Old 05-15-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Convection cloud is very common here. The difference is that the sea is always close enough for cooler air to be drawn in, so convection cloud doesn't mean hot temperatures.
Wouldn't the cooler air inhibit convection by reducing the vertical temperature gradient

Quote:
I don't get why your climate gets convection without cloud build up -isn't it typical for convection to lead to cloud?.
I meant enough cloud to reduce sunshine. Big, puffy cumulus often don't block the sun as much of the sky is still sunny and the sun tends to burn off the clouds in its path (I think). When it does block on hotter days, that suggest a thunderstorm is likely. Looking through photos I took last summer. Sample might not be the best (cloudiest days I'd be less likely to be out taking photos), but here's what I have. Morning was clear, midday had convective clouds. Not enough to block the sun:

Similar afternoon:

looks like some cirrus mixed in:

Spoiler

another day, rather cool for late June. Midmorning cumulus:

getting cloudier midday:

Spoiler

Now mostly cloudy from cumulus. Probably wouldn't have happened on a warmer day

Got less cloudy past 5 pm or so

A rather hot and humid day. Convective cloud from high humidity, I think:

and sunset

much cooler, clearer skies:

It's easy to tell from the sky it's not a humid day, and probably not a hot one either

Another humid day. Around noontime:

Clouding over:

still some sun.

Some rain happened, but I missed the most of it

Last edited by nei; 05-15-2015 at 03:20 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
wouldn't the cooler air inhibit convection by reducing the vertical temperature gradient
Yes, that's why summer thunderstorms are rare here. The buildup for summer thunderstorms is almost standard weather here from October to about mid January. It's initially quite rapid, after the sea breeze blows for about 2-3 hours, it starts to have a cooling effect. The increased cloud cover also means thermals off land slow down as well. Visitors from elsewhere, often comment that thunder is far off, but it seldom happens.

Quote:
i meant enough cloud to reduce sunshine. Big, puffy cumulus often don't block the sun as much of the sky is still sunny and the sun tends to burn off the clouds in its path (i think). When it does block on hotter days, that suggest a thunderstorm is likely.
The buildup is over the hills to the west, and by mid afternoon extends to the coast. That's why December is the cloudiest month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather