Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 07:44 AM

13,481 posts, read 9,022,590 times

Advertisements

Turning warmer again by the end of next week... And my lows will be 2/3C higher than these

Old 06-18-2017, 07:48 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,814,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Turning warmer again by the end of next week... And my lows will be 2/3C higher than these
Why would your lows be that much warmer than Valletta, when Valletta is on the coast, as well as being a much bigger built up area. Seems like a big difference over such a short distance too.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Why would your lows be that much warmer than Valletta, when Valletta is on the coast, as well as being a much bigger built up area. Seems like a big difference over such a short distance too.
That forecast isn't actually based on Valletta, but Luqa Airport. WeatherOnline only gives one forecast for Malta & uses Valletta as it's the capital. The area where I live is actually more built up than Valletta too, Valletta is actually quite small...

Old 06-18-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
That forecast isn't actually based on Valletta, but Luqa Airport. WeatherOnline only gives one forecast for Malta & uses Valletta as it's the capital. The area where I live is actually more built up than Valletta too, Valletta is actually quite small...
Ah well that makes sense. I just assumed that Valletta was the biggest place in Malta!

Old 06-18-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Ah well that makes sense. I just assumed that Valletta was the biggest place in Malta!
No, it's very small & situated on a little peninsula It's also a UNESCO World Heritage Site, so there are no high rise buildings or anything, just mostly original & traditional old buildings...

Old 06-18-2017, 09:05 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,618,080 times
Quote:
He uses his personal PWS in comparison, which shows warmer temps. The Luqa station is a NOAA approved station.

Luqa airport is more inland so normally that means warmer temps than the coast (as the coast is more moderated, isn't it?) although even Luqa is barely a few kms from the coast as Malta itself is small and the highest point of the island has just 250m, and funny but the highest peak is exactly near the sea, not in the middle of the island!

Even in Valencia, being a really big city with 800k population and real UHI it's not that difference between the central park (green lung of the city) and the beach stations, never a difference of 2-3°C between eachothers. That's only the difference with the airport of Valencia which is pretty inland and affected by the thermal inversion.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
He uses his personal PWS in comparison, which shows warmer temps. The Luqa station is a NOAA approved station.

Luqa airport is more inland so normally that means warmer temps than the coast (as the coast is more moderated, isn't it?) although even Luqa is barely a few kms from the coast as Malta itself is small and the highest point of the island has just 250m, and funny but the highest peak is exactly near the sea, not in the middle of the island!

Even in Valencia, being a really big city with 800k population and real UHI it's not that difference between the central park (green lung of the city) and the beach stations, never a difference of 2-3°C between eachothers. That's only the difference with the airport of Valencia which is pretty inland and affected by the thermal inversion.
I live on the coast, in a built up area. Luqa airport is 10 miles from me, inland & 300ft asl... Of course the minimums are going to be warmer here

My daytime highs are usually very similar to Luqa, but it can be warmer here in southerly winds, as Luqa is in the southern part of the Island, so the air warms over land before it reaches me on the northern coast.

It pays to know what you are talking about before you try to discredit what someone else is saying

Old 06-18-2017, 09:46 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,618,080 times
Quote:
I live on the coast, in a built up area. Luqa airport is 10 miles from me, inland & 300ft asl... Of course the minimums are going to be warmer here

My daytime highs are usually very similar to Luqa, but it can be warmer here in southerly winds, as Luqa is in the southern part of the Island, so the air warms over land before it reaches me on the northern coast.

It pays to know what you are talking about before you try to discredit what someone else is saying
lol i was just agreeing with you saying that Luqa has warmer highs for being inland.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:51 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,951,905 times
bleh, winters aren't even cloudy anymore.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
No, it's very small & situated on a little peninsula It's also a UNESCO World Heritage Site, so there are no high rise buildings or anything, just mostly original & traditional old buildings...
Thanks. I've been to Valletta with the Navy, but I didn't really see much of it tbh. We were too busy drinking as much as we could before moving on to Gibraltar. It was certainly very hot there though, I definitely remember that!

Oh, and please don't think I was implying that you were lying or anything. I do believe you, I was just interested to know why it's so warm where you are. What you've said certainly makes sense with regards to the difference between your place and Luqa. It's quite common with Mediterranean climates for coastal towns to have such differences between the coast and a few miles inland.

Presumably Valletta itself, particularly around the harbour, would have noticeably warmer lows than Luqa too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.