Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:49 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times

Advertisements

I worked on Seattle's old Melbourne trams. One day it was pouring rain and we had a tourist aboard from Melbourne. He commented something to the effect of " These trams 'll feel right at home in this weather."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:56 PM

343 posts, read 932,902 times
Yeah, man. Texas sucks. What a messed up place.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:53 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
I like the climate where I live but I wish it was a little warmer overall. I think I'm starting to like the heat more even though I hated it growing up. It's always in the 60's and 70's year round where I live, inland it's warmer more 70's and 80's but I like living by the ocean. I think I just have gotten so used to San Diego's climate I complain about small, trivial things most people wouldn't even care about; if it's below 65 it's cold, if it's above 85 it's hot, and god forbid I go more than 2 days w/o seeing the sun. But one thing is nice is how little I need to heat or cool my home. I don't even have AC and only use my heater a few weeks at night during the year.

Personally I think Hawaii has the best weather overall. It's warm, a little humid, and breezy year round.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:42 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Dallas is hot and I would like it to be cooler and less humid I grew up in West Texas and it's a bit cooler and drier out there, but it's windy with duststorms. Very few places have perfect climate, I suppose.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Melbourne is far from being hot. It's summers resemble Los Angeles and winters are similar to southern inland Texas.
Sounds rather nice to me! Of course I like my snow, which I take you dont get any of? Anyways, those temps are mild. If you like it really hot, I suggest Phoenix, Lake Havasu City, or Yuma, Arizona. Winters are similar to what you have in Melbourne from the sound of it, but summers are intense, and sunny beyond your belief. I believe Yuma has 350 (!!!!) days of sun per year. It becomes monotonous though, it really does.

Me? I do like the climate where I live (outside Chicago), and heres why: Winter... pretty snowy, but not overly snowy (like Buffalo, NY). We average 36" of snow per year. Sunshine % during the winter is around 45-50%. We can get 65 degree days followed by 35 degree days, nights in the 20s and teens with an occasional sub-zero night, which I love! Spring is beautiful... not too hot, not too cold... anywhere from 40 degees to 80 degrees, on and off rain showers to green things up. Once things bloom, the sights/smells/sounds that accompany it are Heavenly. Summer? Pretty warm, but not hot. Average temps in the lower 80s with occasional 90 degree days (we average 20 of them per year). One day will be downright tropical in feel, with high temps and high humidities, the next can be in the 70s and low humidity, its great! Fall is glorious. Temps in teh 50s/60s/70s, all the changing colors, etc. Late fall is when the leaves drop and the skies become gray more often, which signals the arrival of winter in my book. We usually get our first measurable snowfall around late November, around Thanksgiving.

All in all, I enjoy our weather here in IL (many dont), its interesting and never gets boring! haha I dont like when weather stays the same for too long, it gets boring.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:11 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
YES!!!!! I HATE the climate in Houston!!!!!! It is way too HOT and HUMID!!!! I can't wait to get out of here and move to Tenn or NC!!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:18 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,529,014 times
I hated the climate I grew up in - New England but love where I live now. Here we do not have snow or a lot of rain. The sun shines almost every day. It is very rare to have a day with no sun at all. About the coldest average high temp in the winter is approx 68 in Dec. and Jan. The average highs every other month are over 70. I can enjoy the outdoors all year. I love the heat in the summer. (ok the 117 a couple weeks ago was a bit much but todays 107 is just fine) I also love the lack of humidity. I also like to work in my yard and I can keep my flowers and plants blooming all winter...and all year. And another good thing about the heat is we do not have a huge mosquito or bug problem when outdoors at night- we can be outside all evening with no mosquito bites. If we get a lot of moisture later in the summer we will get a few but nothing like other area of the country. I could probably be very happy in parts of southern CA or Hawaii but anywhere else not so much. (at least as far as the US) I love it where I am.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:26 PM

343 posts, read 932,902 times
I've never understood people who say "I need to live in a place with seasons". What that really means is: "I'm trying to see the bright side of my terrible climate"

Old 06-27-2008, 05:36 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
I've never understood people who say "I need to live in a place with seasons". What that really means is: "I'm trying to see the bright side of my terrible climate"
lol that is so true! Our fabled "4 seasons in one day" is often tried to be seen as a positive thing by the population and even the media here. None of that 4 seasons BS for me thanks, there is nothing positive about cold cloudy days in summer, afternoon seabreezes and having to change clothes 3 times a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
SAB, have you considered moving to the outback? Maybe some day you'll be able to live where it's hot all the time.
Unfortunately, the outback doesn't have any decent sized towns.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:38 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,962,141 times
I actually like 4 seasons, I love a change in environment, 1 season year-around gets so monotonous and boring, IMO. My ideal place would have:

1. Very Cold, snowy winters(lasts at least 5 months)
2. cool springs
3. Warm Summers(75-84F for highs, cool nights)
4. crisp, cool falls with brilliant colors

can anyone suggest a place?, my best guess is northern New Hampshire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather