Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:32 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,896,522 times

Advertisements

....so I made some Melbourne Climate jokes.

You Know you're in Melbourne when....

-You have to use lighting to see at midday,
-Temperatures considered "warm" here are considered "cold to the rest of Australia,
-People who are allergic to sunlight can enjoy the outdoors without risk for most of the year,
-you find you have to wear a sweater during your beachside jog on a January afternoon,
-you start comparing your weather to Vancouver's, Scotland's or the Falkland's,
-british tourists feel right at home,
-Christmas day feels like a christmas day in London,
-the amount of cloudy days equals the cloudy days of all other capital cities put together
-you want to wage war on the other capitals because you're jealous of their superior climates,
-a forecast of fine weather ends up being cloudy and rainy
-everyone worldwide recognises your hometown from its crappy weather
-doing the washing becomes a bigger challenge than your final year calculus exam,
-you throw away your weather station because you discoverd a much cheaper alternative, fidning that you can count the number of clear days each winter on your hands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 06:40 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,109 times
Weird. I always heard that Australia is one of the hottest places on earth. Reading posts like yours always teaches me something.

I hate the climate here because it's hotter than the devil's underpants, and twice as humid. We have bugs in JANUARY, which proves to me that this IS hell.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:45 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,896,522 times
^^ Australia is only really, really hot in some parts of the outback. There is one patch of desert in the northwest of the country which sees average temps over 100F 6 months of the year, where the small town of Marble Bar had an average high temp of 113ºF / 45ºC in February 2006.

Melbourne is far from being hot. It's summers resemble Los Angeles and winters are similar to southern inland Texas.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:41 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
SAB, have you considered moving to the outback? Maybe some day you'll be able to live where it's hot all the time.

I actually don't love the hot weather as much as despising the cold weather. I love my climate about 5 months during an average year. I whine and moan about it the other 7 months. It can get very cold here though and part of the reason is aches and pains related.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:33 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,342 times
Can't stand hot.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:45 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,957,701 times
I HATE the climate here(SE FL), WAAAAY too hot for 9 months of the year(March-November), mattyj46's climate sounds good to me right now

Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,776 times
Well if you think its hot right now, just wait a few years. On the other hand, if you think its too cold, you might be in for a pleasant surprise. I figure I might start looking for a nice piece of property I can retire to in Canada in about 15 years. By then it will be perfect up there.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2008/20080619_climatereport.html

Old 06-27-2008, 10:41 AM

343 posts, read 932,354 times
I live in Philly and the climate is pretty bad. I'm originally from Santa Barbara, CA where the climate is perfect. Perhaps I've been spoiled.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:03 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
I live in Philly and the climate is pretty bad. I'm originally from Santa Barbara, CA where the climate is perfect. Perhaps I've been spoiled.
You ain't seen nothin yet

Old 06-27-2008, 11:51 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,156 times
I live in San Antonio, TX. And yes, I hate the climate here. I force myself and the kids to get our daily "dose" of sunshine but aside from that I try my best to stay INSIDE from May through September/October. Blech and blech. I cannot stand trying to do stuff with sweat running in my eyes. The other day I was outside tending to some of my plants, for about 30 minutes, and I came inside and was dizzy and seeing spots for another 30 minutes!

I actually do all my gardening after dark with a big flashlight/spotlight now!

I remember when I worked at my kids' school, how we had to severely limit their outside time due to heatstroke concerns.

I was raised in South Texas and despite that fact I feel like I will NEVER be accustomed to the weather here. Ever!

Here are some of those "you know your from Texas when..." funnies that are weather related for these parts:

You no longer associate bridges with water.

You can say 110 degrees without fainting.

You eat hot chilies to cool your mouth off.

You can make instant sun tea.

You learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron.

The temperature drops below 95 and you feel a bit chilly.

You discover that in July it takes only two fingers to drive your car.

You discover that you can get a sunburn through your car window.

You know the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

Hot water comes out of both taps.

You actually burn your hand opening the car door.

No one would dream of putting vinyl upholstery in a car or not having air conditioning.

You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m. before work.

You realize asphalt has a liquid state.

It's so hot the birds have to use pot holders to pull worms out of the ground.

It's so hot that potatoes cook underground and all you have to do for lunch is to pull one out and add butter with trimmings.

It's so hot farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying hard boiled eggs.

You've taken your kids trick-or-treating when it was 90 degrees outside.

*When it rains, everyone is smiling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather