Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When do you usually have the A/C on?
(Almost) the whole summer 14 28.00%
Only when it's Hot & Humid 10 20.00%
High humidity 6 12.00%
When it's hot 11 22.00%
During warm evenings 7 14.00%
During the day 5 10.00%
I use fan instead 3 6.00%
My A/C is automatically on 12 24.00%
I don't use A/C / Don't have or need to 6 12.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:02 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
SAV, there are people from the western part of my state that don't have AC. It cools off in the evening in the mountains so they can get by without it. Over here, it'd be a bit more difficult because we have some very humid days.

Mental note to self~can't be roomates with Angel or ILNC.
hey Jammie when I lived in GA, we used our fireplace a pretty good amount of times, usually between January 10-February 10 because that's the coldest time of the year. A.K.A my favorite time of the year(except christmas)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 06:28 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,856,674 times
The air comes on when there's the slightest hint of 65-68 degrees or more temps. If the humidity is low, 70-72 at best. This means it's on nonstop from May to September, and intermittently in April and October. Even when the temps are naturally perfect for me, some sort of air must be blowing. Attic fans are a nice thing. I'd much rather have to use the heater for longer periods. Maybe I'll retire to the Upper Peninsula someday.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:58 AM

7 posts, read 6,085 times
I live in south florida so its on pretty much the whole year. Sometimes in Jan or so I can turn it off for a day or two but mostly its just always running. On the bright side its about $450 less a month to run it than my heat in NH.. litearlly

Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,159 times
Ya OIL heat is more, gee that may be due to the OIL PRICES, electricity keeps going up too... And it completely sucks that in Florida you get NO, and I mean NO fresh air in your house most of the year, nothing but stale, nasty, air conditioned, air... If you don't turn it on(AC) your house will mold up, and you may die from heat exhaustion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Come_on_now View Post
I live in south florida so its on pretty much the whole year. Sometimes in Jan or so I can turn it off for a day or two but mostly its just always running. On the bright side its about $450 less a month to run it than my heat in NH.. litearlly

Old 07-02-2008, 05:42 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
All I know is that in order for my allergies to NOT act up, it has to be cool in here. Usually when I go to sleep at night, the tip of my nose is cold. I like it like that, I rest easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie
Mental note to self~can't be roomates with Angel or ILNC.
Brutal. Allergies suck.
Cold on your nose makes it easy to sleep?

Anytime the room temp is below 68 F it's a bit more challenging for me to get relaxed enough to drift off.
Any cold spots and I'm usually awake and agitated.

I sleep best when the room is 75 F; (and under the covers it's probably 85-94 F )
even in a room at 72 F my toes can be like popcicles for the first 10 minutes under the covers.
I'd rather be nearly-sweating under the covers, but it has to be 78-82 F (depending on my mood) for that.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:08 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Brutal. Allergies suck.
Cold on your nose makes it easy to sleep?

Anytime the room temp is below 68 F it's a bit more challenging for me to get relaxed enough to drift off.
Any cold spots and I'm usually awake and agitated.

I sleep best when the room is 75 F; (and under the covers it's probably 85-94 F )
even in a room at 72 F my toes can be like popcicles for the first 10 minutes under the covers.
I'd rather be nearly-sweating under the covers, but it has to be 78-82 F (depending on my mood) for that.
Ok, you and I could never roommates But you already knew that. The cold air does help my allergies and the colder the air, the better I sleep.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:58 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
It is probably on at some time from March-November...and maybe February depending on the temps!

Old 07-03-2008, 11:44 AM

149 posts, read 762,067 times
I almost never turn on the AC, I like it warm and don't mind humidity as long as it stays in the 80's. If it gets stuffy in the house I turn on some fans. But a few times in the summer we get one of those heat waves where it is in the 90s with a heat index of 100, and then it is a relief to have the option available.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:01 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Wow you should be very happy this afternoon Jammie! We rarely turn the heat on in the winter. We have a fireplace and used it once last year and the never even used it the year before. My husband is very hot natured just like me.
Really? In Dallas (which I know is a bit cooler) we run the heat some every day and night during December -January and much of February. We usually have to turn the heat on in late October.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:40 PM

343 posts, read 932,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
In my 7.5 years of living within 3 miles of the coast in San Diego I have yet to live in a place that has air conditioning.
Sweet. Love it. Gotta appreciate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather