Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:06 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Indiana...that is humid and simply nasty. It ranks up there with Houston
Not even close. Sure there are several days a year that feel Houston-esque in terms of humidity and temps, but overall IN doesnt suffer from the heat and humidity that TX does. Lets take a look...

Indianapolis, for example, averages only 19 days all year with temps over 90 degrees.
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Indianapolis, Indiana, United States of America

Houston? 97 days (!!!!) over 90 degrees. Yeah, BIG difference.
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Houston, Texas, United States of America

I used to think Chicagoland was hot until I spent time in AZ and TN and FL in summer. NEVER AGAIN WILL I COMPLAIN!!! lolol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:15 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Hoosier, 20 years later, it's only gotten worse!
When I first saw this thread, I figured ILNC posted it!

I can't imagine being in Houston without air-conditioning! (Dallas either, for that matter, but certainly not Houston!!)

Old 07-18-2008, 11:06 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Default Houston vs FL Heat & Humidity for today:

This is the best way I came up with for a true comparison as requested. We'll use today's forecast for this mid July weather. Obviously this is just one day. Now for those who are aware of City-Data's powerful database on city stats you need to do some research there. Go to the home page, select your city in which ever state and scroll down to the weather graphs. Now that's not anyone's opinion just stats. I used these stats for months before deciding to try and entertain with my 2¢ worth from time to time on the forums. For this comparison for today I'm using Houston, Pensacola, Jacksonville, Tampa, and Miami. Without farther ado:

Houston Weather Forecast and Conditions Texas

Pensacola Weather Forecast and Conditions Florida

Jacksonville Weather Forecast and Conditions Florida

Tampa Weather Forecast and Conditions Florida

Miami Weather Forecast and Conditions Florida

Now I've given it to you straight, right from a FL cracker's keyboard. If ya don't like it....

Old 07-18-2008, 11:16 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I am a native Dallasite and lived in Houston for a couple of years. I can't imagine anyone there not having AC 20 years ago. What kind of place was this?

Anyhow, I have traveled to South Florida many times - usually in the late spring or very early fall and I can tell you the humidity seemed much worse to me. I've had trouble adjusting to DC and even NYC can get pretty bad in the summer.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:36 AM

I'm on the record as being of the generation that knew not of AC in FL while growing up. I attended schools all my life here in Cen FL with no AC. We had crank out windows and when it stormed you can imagine how hot it must have been. Funny thing is I can't remember the heat then. My only trip to Houston was not during the summer months so I can't make a personal comparison either. The truth be know AC is making it seem worse because we use it during all the time now indoors and are not in the least acclimated to the heat and humidity when we do get out. Now the exceptions are construction workers and those with outdoor jobs. Their outlook on the heat and humidity anywhere is probably not as negative as office workers. Maybe we'll here some input from some outdoor folks??? Please

Old 07-18-2008, 12:01 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
I lived in Houston from the age of 3 to the age of 39. You never get used to the heat and humidity. It's not just that it's hot and humid, it's how long the heat and humidity last. For-freaking-ever is how long.

The first time my husband came to visit me (we met on the internet, he lived in NC), it was 107 degrees with humidity in the 95% range. At 10:00 at night, it was still in the 90s. We went to Galveston for a day to cool off, because it was only 97 degrees there.

There are some things I miss about Houston (friends, great restaurants, etc.), and some things in the surrounding area (bluebonnets, Texas RenFest) but other than that, nothing else. I love the weather here. We have our hot spells, but they're very temporary. I love having four seasons.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:48 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Thanks Nomadicus. On that same site there is a spot where you can compare averages~temps only but it generally gives a good picture of it. That map doesn't work for me anymore and it's kind of a bummer cause I had liked that.

Today Houston pretty much blows Tampa out of the water, but they've been having so much rain the past few days.

Kooter, it's almost appearing that Texas is now a very popular state to relocate to. It seems that Fla. was just getting WAY too expensive.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Nomadicus I didn't have AC in school here in Texas until high school, so I know what you are talking about - also one of my grandmothers refused to have AC and the other had one but didn't use it much. Of course they were born in the late 1800s.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post

Kooter, it's almost appearing that Texas is now a very popular state to relocate to. It seems that Fla. was just getting WAY too expensive.
You can blame the FL cost of living on the wide spread use of AC. Until AC came on the scene it was just to hot for many. They made more AC but no more land. Bummer.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:38 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
My kids elementary school does not have a/c. It was built in the early 1900s. I will say they did somehow have enough funding for the principal's office to get a/c, but couldn't find it for the rest of the school. And let me tell you, it's humid in Minnesota!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather