Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:31 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,315,305 times

Advertisements

Hoosier, it's so good to see you back again. I hope you are doing well.

I am the exact same way~I will never acclimate to winters here even though I've been a lifer so far. I guess it's just how we prefer to feel~I hate being cold and shivering and I also hate the pain that cold weather brings to me. I feel very normal when it's warm, but like a half cripple as soon as it gets too cold. I know that's just the opposite of what ILNC has been going through so I understand why you'd like to move to a cooler climate. I would probably fit into Houston well except for the size of it and the high traffic.

OH, and ILNC isn't old. You guys are all just really young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 02:35 PM

22,995 posts, read 34,256,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Hoosier, it's so good to see you back again. I hope you are doing well.

I am the exact same way~I will never acclimate to winters here even though I've been a lifer so far. I guess it's just how we prefer to feel~I hate being cold and shivering and I also hate the pain that cold weather brings to me. I feel very normal when it's warm, but like a half cripple as soon as it gets too cold. I know that's just the opposite of what ILNC has been going through so I understand why you'd like to move to a cooler climate. I would probably fit into Houston well except for the size of it and the high traffic.

OH, and ILNC isn't old. You guys are all just really young.
Jammie, he ain't that young

Old 07-27-2008, 02:37 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,694,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Jammie, he ain't that young

C'mon gramma! you know I am! Well, younger than you. I'm in a different decade of life than you.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:46 PM

22,995 posts, read 34,256,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
C'mon gramma! you know I am! Well, younger than you. I'm in a different decade of life than you.
Younger.....yes, better looking......well we'll let the coons decided

Old 07-27-2008, 06:33 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,315,305 times
ILNC, you and I are the same age~I think you have me beat by a few months.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:30 PM

5,402 posts, read 13,220,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
From what I see from ILNC's posts, most of the time Houston does not look bad. Especially with current conditions like 84 F and a dewpoint around 70 F.

Could be, then again I'm probably more acclimated to Texas weather than most Texans, I've never even been there... Maybe a lot of it is attitude or mood.

Example:
A few days ago there was a gentle-warmth inside.
I checked my little indoor weather station and it said it was 80 F with 60% humidity,
and even with that amount of humidity it still felt pleastantly-dry for me.
Right now to me, the way the weather felt Friday and Saturday in Houston beats what it's doing now in Central Texas where I am and in Dallas. It's 100 degrees with a dew point of 50 and 19% humidity. Actually where I am, it's 99, dp 48, and 18% humidity. I'm about 75 miles southwest of Dallas. I never thought dry heat was supposed to feel this horrible. It's very hot and uncomfortable.

We get some mighty humid days here too and it's not fun either. Let's face it, Texas summers are usually pretty miserable. November, where are you?

Old 07-28-2008, 07:31 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,693,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Right now to me, the way the weather felt Friday and Saturday in Houston beats what it's doing now in Central Texas where I am and in Dallas. It's 100 degrees with a dew point of 50 and 19% humidity. Actually where I am, it's 99, dp 48, and 18% humidity. I'm about 75 miles southwest of Dallas. I never thought dry heat was supposed to feel this horrible. It's very hot and uncomfortable.

We get some mighty humid days here too and it's not fun either. Let's face it, Texas summers are usually pretty miserable. November, where are you?
Yes, but if you had a large glass of an iced-drink or ice cream, wouldn't the heat be no problem?
That's been my experience with 100 F weather.

Up here you need an extra 10-20 lbs of layers for 3-4 months. Definitely restrictive.
I hate not being able to touch anything with bare hands for over 100 days a year, every year.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:37 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,693,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post

Wait a minute...

I was in Raleigh NC and it was 103 F with 33% humidity and it was to-die-for.
The shade was (gently) toasty-warm and the sun was hotter, but not a crazy amount hotter than the shade.

This is how it felt to me:

Imagine you're in 72 F weather but on one side of you is like being 2 feet from a toaster (the shade) and the other side feels like you're 6 feet from a campfire. (the sun)

How can that feel horrible?
Is it worse with 19% humidity instead of 33% because you dehydrate faster?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Yes, but if you had a large glass of an iced-drink or ice cream, wouldn't the heat be no problem?
That's been my experience with 100 F weather.

Up here you need an extra 10-20 lbs of layers for 3-4 months. Definitely restrictive.
I hate not being able to touch anything with bare hands for over 100 days a year, every year.
No, iced drinks and ice cream don't help when it's hot. The only thing that helps is air conditioning or being in water. I don't have a pool and I'm not swimming in a dirty Texas lake, so A/C is the answer. Actually, I don't like iced drinks and if I'm around ice cream, I'm uncontrollable. I'll eat the whole dang carton.

I've never had to deal with cold weather, so I don't know how I'd fare but just thinking about Canandian snow, I guess I'll take the heat. Snow is so pretty though.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Wait a minute...

I was in Raleigh NC and it was 103 F with 33% humidity and it was to-die-for.
The shade was (gently) toasty-warm and the sun was hotter, but not a crazy amount hotter than the shade.

This is how it felt to me:

Imagine you're in 72 F weather but on one side of you is like being 2 feet from a toaster (the shade) and the other side feels like you're 6 feet from a campfire. (the sun)

How can that feel horrible?
Is it worse with 19% humidity instead of 33% because you dehydrate faster?
I can't answer your questions. I just know that from about 10 a.m. until the sun sets, it's miserable here. Today is day 16 for triple digit temperatures in Dallas and the average is 17 days a season. Looks like this summer will beat the average as there isn't going to be any let up any time soon.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 07-28-2008 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather