Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:59 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times

Advertisements

Many moons ago I visited Houston, Texas for a missions trip. A group of us stayed in some people's un-airconditioned house for close to a week. While that was about 20 years ago, I have never forgotten how miserable we were during the day and night. We did spend one night sleeping in the host church and it had a/c! I decided I wouldn't make a good missionary overseas...or in Houston!

Humidity here in Minnesota ranks right up there with all the skeeters we get! Lots and lots! Since the grand Mississippi river is across the street from our house, I assume that's why it's more humid and we have more mosquitos than elsewhere in our little town.

Growing up in the cornfield of Hoosier-land, aka: Indiana...that is humid and simply nasty. It ranks up there with Houston. But I think it was extra humid because our mom didn't believe in too much a/c or fans. We had to sweat! If you were thirsty she'd tell you to swallow some spit. Ah well, that's another story for another forum. Maybe they should start a forum on psychologically disturbed people and the parents they are running away from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 08:10 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
LOL. I guess how like the Houston Astros had the killer "B's"(Bagwell, Biggio, Berkman), Houston has the the killer "H's" (Hot, Humid, Hazy).

no, but in all seriousness that's one reason I would never live in Houston, because it's like a somewhat "cooler" version of south FL

Old 07-17-2008, 09:31 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Hoosier, 20 years later, it's only gotten worse!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:41 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
After his escape to CO from Houston my son told me it was over the heat and humidity. The city was OK but the weather just did him in. 13 years of it was just a tad to much. Now them winters in CO would do me in. I can't win.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
After his escape to CO from Houston my son told me it was over the heat and humidity. The city was OK but the weather just did him in. 13 years of it was just a tad to much. Now them winters in CO would do me in. I can't win.
Maybe you can spend your winters here and your summers there. I'm going to escape someday too

Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Maybe you can spend your winters here and your summers there. I'm going to escape someday too
Thanks but no thanks, I'm suffering the heat enough in FL. Winter is OK. The one whole week of it. I'm escaping to S MO. Maybe I can take that year round Now if you don't have enough weather in Houston, I maybe could go into the weather export business. Got plenty to spare and can share with ya.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Thanks but no thanks, I'm suffering the heat enough in FL. Winter is OK. The one whole week of it. I'm escaping to S MO. Maybe I can take that year round Now if you don't have enough weather in Houston, I maybe could go into the weather export business. Got plenty to spare and can share with ya.
Only if you can export some cooler weather and rain would be nice too.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:50 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
We've never been to Texas and I'm just curious~is Houston more humid then Fla? I love the humidity down there. It does make my hair flat as a pancake, but my at least I don't have to use a bottle of lotion for my skin every day like I do here in the wintertime.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
We've never been to Texas and I'm just curious~is Houston more humid then Fla? I love the humidity down there. It does make my hair flat as a pancake, but my at least I don't have to use a bottle of lotion for my skin every day like I do here in the wintertime.
I really don't know. Need to do some digging. I see what I can stir up facts wise this PM.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:23 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Jammie - I'm familiar with both state's (Texas and Florida) summer weather and humidty. I'm really looking forward to hearing the answer to your question. I'd like to read the opinions about how some people compare Houston's humidity to Florida's humidity - Florida being a state where tens of millions of people from all over the U.S. have decided to move and call their home for decades...many of them retirees that did not move to Florida only for employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather