Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 04:56 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times

Advertisements

After living in Tennessee for 30 years, I'm going to say that hot, humid weather is drastically overrated. People around here don't complain that much about cold weather, but they like to talk about how awesome Summer is. Then when Summer gets here, they're covered from head to toe in sweat, bugs, and spider webs, and look like they're going to pass out any second, yet they'll sheepishly swear they love hot weather. Denial, I tell you! I think they tell themselves they like it because they think they're supposed to like it. When it's winter and it's 60 outside, I can't tell you how many times I hear people say, "Man, it's not bad outside!" But they never, ever say that in Summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 05:34 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Australian perspective:
Most over-rated - hot and humid weather -Queensland and Northern NSW - too humid, 28 degrees Celsius (82.5 degrees Farenheit) or more is unbearable in summer at these latitudes, despite their "perfect climate" claims.
Taking the temperature on a coastal headland so as not to give an accurate representation of the true temperature in town, makes places such places even more over-rated.
Most under-rated - true four seasons weather -which is rare in Australia eg Canberra :dry heat in summer, cold and frosty in winter. A true autumn and spring.
Similarly under-rated - classic Mediterranean climates, such as Perth in the West.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:56 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times
But readings on coastal headlands in those locations will yield higher dewpoints and humidities, as well as higher overnight lows...taking that into account, temps 'in town" are almost always cooler at night and somewhat less humid during the day.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:58 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
But readings on coastal headlands in those locations will yield higher dewpoints and humidities, as well as higher overnight lows...taking that into account, temps 'in town" are almost always cooler at night and somewhat less humid during the day.
You are probably correct, and many weather stations near light houses etc are there purely from an historical basis, and not tourism or real estate value driven as they are now.
However the "top end" temperatures are cut out as it is diffcult to get temps above 30 degrees Celsius at such locations, and the net result is a lowered mean annual temperature than that which actually occurs.
I used to live in the NSW Norther Rivers, you could barely go outside after mid-morning in summer without being totally covered in sweat.
And yet this particular town claims that the "CSIRO" rated it as perfect.
How could that be?
Obviously the CSIRO, based in Melbourne, has never actually lived there.
Many sea-changers heading North to retire, or semi-retire, are in for a nasty surprise when the exceedingly long (6 months +) of summer arrives.
By comparison, Newcastle just north of Sydney, is tame and moderate.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:01 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Overrated: Cool Crisp Fall Temperatures

Underrated: Extreme Heat

Old 10-30-2009, 06:51 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
Overrated: Fall weather, Fall foliage and dry cool weather. Sunny cloudless days. I cannot think of many things that are more depressing than being denied the color Green, and seeing ugly fall colors and shades of grey and brown. The lack of fascinating geometry in places that lack palm trees and waxy tropical foliage puts me in severe withdrawal with near panic. --ok, that's a bit dramatic, but this is nearly the case, and given enough time spent in that particular environment, it WOULD be the case. This is what I spent 17 years in when I lived in Colorado. San Diego California is a step up, but still way too dry and cool for my taste.

Underrated: Steamy humid days where the daytime temperatures stay in the high 80's to low 90's and the pre-dawn temps remain in the 78-85 degree range. Dewpoints of 75-79 degrees, condensation forming on windows of air-conditioned buildings, green mildew on stucco walls, the smell of mold, lichens and mosses on the trunks of palm trees, air plants and ferns growing out of coral structures. Tree trunks dark with the moisture of the constant rains. Brilliant direct overhead illumination of the turquoise water and radiant green foliage with the tropical sun at dead zenith with the blue-black clouds of approaching thunderstorms as a backdrop.

The constancy of the scattered thunderstorms and the high angle of the tropical sun in Miami give the landscape a dramatic chiaroscuro effect that only intensifies the shades of green and gives a slight blueish tint to everything. Nine to Ten months of this kind of weather is just fine with me. I'll just hibernate when they have their few dry days.

Last edited by Reptoid Humidian; 10-30-2009 at 07:15 PM..

Old 10-30-2009, 08:48 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
Underrated: very humid, overcast cool weather (55F to 65F). Doesn't feel cold because its humid and doesn't feel hot because its cool. Very refreshing.

Overrated: Sunny, clear skies any time it is over 85F. Sun can be very draining for some reason.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:11 PM

18 posts, read 50,468 times
Most underrated: heat waves
most overrated: Jesse James

Old 04-05-2010, 07:20 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
I agree with MrMarbles. I love cool overcast weather in the 50s as well and I think it's highly underrated as well.

I think driving in sunny weather is overrated/annoying.....I was driving to my Girlfriend's house this afternoon and I can tell you there's nothing more annoying than the sun glaring down at your eyes while you're driving!

I think ideal driving weather is overcast weather but at the same time no precipitation falling from the sky.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:39 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I

I think driving in sunny weather is overrated/annoying.....I was driving to my Girlfriend's house this afternoon and I can tell you there's nothing more annoying than the sun glaring down at your eyes while you're driving!
I hate that aswell, most freeways here are east-west orientated, the sun becomes a bastard when I'm driving to work in the evening. But I suppose us heat lovers have to drink some of our own medicine

I also drove thru one of the most intense supercell thunderstorms ever to hit Melbourne, and I was ontop of a multi-level stacked interchange at the time.....as much as I love storms, they are not fun to drive thru!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather