Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:39 PM

403 posts, read 1,576,242 times

Advertisements

I was visting Tampa last week and I noticed that some of the maple trees there were already turning orange and brown, and they weren't falling off of the trees either, and I though it was kind of strange how they were changing so soon, especially in August. I also noticed that the temperature doesn't seem as hot as it did last year, the high for Tampa this week is 84, which is cool for this time of the year, when the average high is 90.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,925,785 times
that's strange.....I wouldn't expect fall colors in Tampa until at least mid-December

same thing hapened in North-GA last year, I noticed leaves changing in late August, but it was because of extremely hot and dry conditions

Old 08-04-2008, 10:51 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,873,050 times
Here we were getting Autumn colours and leaves falling off trees in February, because it was so damn cold.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:03 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,328,324 times
Well, our trees weren't even filled out yet until mid June because our spring was so cold. I hope we have an extended summer because in about another 4 or 5 weeks, we'll be looking at autumn if it's an average year. Three months of summer just isn't long enough for me.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:49 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,873,050 times
^^ in Melbourne, REAL summer lasts only 2 months at best. The remaining period is just a transition (meaning 16-22C days 80% of the time and 10C nights). Even the 2 months of high summer are regulary punctuated by 20-25C days and below 15C nights. Autumn starts in mid March typically for us. By May, the trees are stripped bare.

ideally, I'd like about a month of Kuwait summer, and a month of winter with cold nights (~5C) so I can rug up and enjoy a nice hot coffee ... with a nice transition between!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:10 AM

403 posts, read 1,576,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
that's strange.....I wouldn't expect fall colors in Tampa until at least mid-December

same thing hapened in North-GA last year, I noticed leaves changing in late August, but it was because of extremely hot and dry conditions
Yea. I though that too.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:47 AM

26,374 posts, read 46,232,890 times
Drought or being in the northwoods would be the only reasons for leaves to change in August.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,733,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Drought or being in the northwoods would be the only reasons for leaves to change in August.
Yep, extreme heat can do it too. I've noticed a lot of birches and maples "changing" here in Little Rock too and we've had plenty of rain. It's just the heat. Those types of trees don't really belong here even though they can survive the summers. What's being seen is just the death cycle of the leaves as the chlorophyl fades revealing the underlying color briefly before they brown out totally. Pretty similar process to the fall change I guess but the color certainly doesn't last as long and represents the tree's response to extreme stress.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:01 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,213,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Yep, extreme heat can do it too. I've noticed a lot of birches and maples "changing" here in Little Rock too and we've had plenty of rain. It's just the heat. Those types of trees don't really belong here even though they can survive the summers. What's being seen is just the death cycle of the leaves as the chlorophyl fades revealing the underlying color briefly before they brown out totally. Pretty similar process to the fall change I guess but the color certainly doesn't last as long and represents the tree's response to extreme stress.
Yeah, sometimes you will see "browning of leaves" here in Texas in August but it's due to extreme heat/dryness. It seems to me that some trees are more prone to this than others too.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:46 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,702,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
NICE! So you've found a way to find fall colour without fall or winter-like weather.

I think I might like seeing fall colour if it was caused by the heat index being 100 F or higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather