Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 10:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Growing up in the South and spending several years living in Japan, I've been in several hurricanes, typhoons, and earthquakes.

But the worst weather related thing that ever happened to me didn't actually happen TO me. My 17 year old son was attending a military school just outside of New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina hit. I did not hear from him or anyone at the school for TWO WEEKS due to the devastation of the infrastructure down there. I did get a message from the National Guard but all it was was "No news is good news." The parents were told adamantly - "Do NOT drive down here. The roads are impassable. STAY HOME and wait for news."

When I finally did hear from him, both of us burst into tears. His school had been severely damaged. None of the students were injured but none were able to contact their parents. My son said it was honestly almost like Lord of the Flies for those two weeks - food shortages, no electricity, boil water notices - and nearly all the instructors left to go take care of their own families, leaving only two instructors there to try to control about 75 very scared, very traumatized teenage boys. I can't even imagine.

That experience really bothered my son for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 11:03 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
I've been through snow storms in the mountains at Big bear lake California growing up that locked up town and collapsed buildings ,some of the worst were rain on snow that was slush 3'deep .very hard to move. Lot of flooding .
But the worst thing I think is the "92" quake ,it was a 6.2 and almost every fire place went down ,some falling inward and some falling out ward .
The Landers quake got every one out of place, just moments before the big one hit us. Unfortunately the landers quake did take one little boys life.
The big bear quake locked up the valley, all roads had land slides, and all communications except ham radio were available and the hams proved them selves during that event. Proud of them.
ON top of all that it was a busy weekend with lots of folk from out of town, so there were a lot that had no where to stay, beyond those that lost their homes .
After being through that stuff, I think the hurricanes and tornados are far worse you all are sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather