Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 10:53 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times

Advertisements

I would say the northern Plains (North Dakota, South Dakota, Northwestern Minnesota).

I mean, they have rapidly changing weather, lots of frontal systems that bring severe thunderstorms, and rapid temperature swings, blizzards, extreme cold, extreme heat, they have everything.

and nowhere else in the Lower 48 has more of a difference between extreme high temperature in summer, and extreme low in winter

how about you guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 09:22 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
DX, I have to agree with you. It does get interesting around here. So. Dak. also has the record for the biggest temp change and it happened within minutes. DaninEFG had found the incident I'm referring to, but again I can't remember exactly how it went.

I would actually have to add Montana and Wyoming to that list. They can have some pretty strange weather, too.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Id also agree, the Great Plains have extremely interesting weather.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:35 PM

144 posts, read 552,298 times
I live in SW MO. We have ridiculous weather down here. We have crazy ice storms, snow, etc in the winter. It is not uncommon to go a week or so without power in the winter due to ice...and I live in a pretty decent sized city. Our entire city was down last year for several days. Oh, and one day, in just 2 hours...the temp dropped over 60 degrees. My students came to school in shorts and left with temps in the high teens. It's been a while since we had a good snow (we got one average snowfall this year) but it has also been known to snow feet of snow here. Lord knows us Missouri people can't drive in it!! We have about 10 snow days a year. MO state law now says all schools must include a minimum of 6 in their calendar, because lord knows they will need them!

In the spring we have 70+ mile an hour wind with thunderstorms and tornadoes and baseball size hail. My car (which is garaged most of the time) has been victim of golf-baseball size hail 3 times this year. One more good storm and our brand new house is going to probably need its second replacement roof. Just a couple months ago an F4 tornado tore through town just a few miles south of my house and killed 14 people. Then comes summer, where it is 105 and HUMID. We count down the days until Fall....until it gets here and we remember that it brings tornado season all over again!

So we basically have

Ice season, tornado season, Tropical heat wave-people killing over due to heat stroke season , and then tornado season-part duex.

But I like it here. The weather keeps things interesting!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:46 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Anywhere on the plains (as mentioned) will likely have the most varied weather in a given location (over the course of a year). The Pacific Northwest has the most variation at any one moment (over a broader area at any given moment) since the Cascades divide Washington and Oregon in half giving each half a very different climate than the other (desert vs rainforest) and of course the higher mountains in the region have glaciers (so lots of snow and artic-like weather there obviously).

Ken

Old 08-22-2008, 10:31 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
I find it kind of funny anywhere I go I hear, "well (this insert any city)weather is so unpredictable." isn't that weather in general?

Old 08-26-2008, 07:01 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
I`d go with Florida because of the thunderstorms and hurricanes/tornado's

And the mid west because of the super cell storms and powerful tornado`s.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
Jammie, it was in Spearfish... Here's a copy/paste from a Wikipedia article...
Spearfish holds the world record for the fastest temperature change. On January 22, 1943, at about 7:30am MST, the temperature in Spearfish, SD was −4 °F (−20 °C). The chinook kicked in, and two minutes later the temperature was 45 °F (7 °C) above zero. The 49-degree rise (27 °C) in two minutes set a world record that still holds. By 9:00am, the temperature had risen to 54 °F (12 °C). Suddenly, the chinook died down and the temperature tumbled back to −4 °F (−20 °C). The 58-degree drop (32 °C) took only 27 minutes.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:53 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
MJ, thank you so much for posting that. Actually, I didn't realize it was a world's record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather