Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 10:35 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,230 times

Advertisements

We are from Michigan and just moved to North Carolina. We are learning about Hurricanes and other stroms that go with that with hanna. As a new person in the area I see that it is common that people who are from a area and are used to that weather were they live just get use to it. THat can be good to not get over excited but in some cases it can make people to relaxed as they judge other situations that somehing didn't happen. I see the same thing in Michigan there can be a winter storm warning that can be posted days before and some will not get supplies or gas. THen there is the I can't believe it people who hear one then it goes in the ear and it must sound different to them. Like when you see a drift as high up as your door and your car isn't big they try and drive through it anyway. Or a tornado that has been sighted and you are told to go to the safest part of your home and I guess to some that means the front porch to watch it. But the best one is the people and it is mostly men and happens every year. Stay off the eye it isn't safe. To those people they hear Lets go fishing and then they have to be rescued. Now they are making them pay for the rescue. I guess it is the same everywhere. I never went through a hurricane or tropical storm I'm not to worried . Went to the store can't find flashlights. But for me living in Michigan and driving in a winter white out. Very scarry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 12:46 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Michigan, I saw when you posted in the sub-forum that this will be your first tropical weather experience. I'd be a bit on edge and cautious just because I wouldn't know what to expect. The worst I ever saw was when one of the 2004 canes had swung around and was at Daytona the day we left there. It was nothing more then a tropical disturbance since it had already wreaked it's havoc. It made the ocean look black and the waves were scary~we didn't even walk near the water that day. It seemed like the clouds were so dark and different looking, too. It was just strange cause it was so foreign to us.

A lot of the people that you live near are so used to this and have spent their entire lives with that type of weather. They'd probably be terrified if they went to Michigan and went through a full fledged snowstorm.

Not everyone in NC is non-chalant about this though. We have an adopted daughter and her family (Not legal adoption~she's from NC~long story) and she and one of her co-workers have been tense about this for a couple days already. They've both spent their entire lives there and they KNOW that canes can be pretty wild and they also spawn tornadoes.

But I understand exactly what you are saying. Many people don't actually heed any of the warnings and get themselves into predicaments and wait to be rescued. Sometimes it just happens. We had a lady who left work in a nearby town back in the horrible blizzard of 1996. She could see and figured she could make it those few miles home. She ended up disoriented and in the ditch and sat there for days. They finally tracked her because of her cell phone and rescued her a few days later. She had such an ordeal and was actually on national tv. There were articles done about her and I believe she even wrote a book about her experience. (Not sure about that part though) She took the proceeds that she made and re-imbursed our state for all expenses that were incurred because of her negligence. There was no court trial and she wasn't forced to do it. She just knew it was the right thing to do. It was silly on her part, BUT DH was heading to work (we lived nearby) and he could also see quite well when he left. Two miles down the road, it hit and he couldn't see a thing. It took him betweeen one and two hours to make it 12 miles. We were aware that the snowstorm was heading our direction, but it hit earlier and harder then expected. That incident happened the same day the lady ended up stranded and covered in snow.

Unfortunately, we also make the mistake of standing outside when there are tornado warnings~not sure why either. It really is just silly to do that. Maybe we just become too complacent in storms that we've lived with our entire lives.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:43 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
I grew up and lived most of my adult life on the Florida coast. There are a couple of reasons why people who are used to the 'storm life' don't get too excited or overly nervous. First of all, what is reported that might happen and what actually happens is usually not one and the same. Second of all, life has to go on. If we freak all out every time we see another named hurricane in the Atlantic...we would all be loony toons by now.

At the same time, people should always have the needed supplies on hand, gas up their vehicles and keep some extra cash stashed away in case things go wrong.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:00 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
We also stand outside when tornado warnings are issued, but it is usually while we are at the storm shelter and we are checking out the storm and how it is moving. We are one step from the door and can easily get inside and lock the door. Our storms usually split off at a ridge just down from our town and that is why we stand outside. Of course, it does not have anything to do with all the dogs and cats that are in cages inside getting to know one another!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:06 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
We also stand outside when tornado warnings are issued, but it is usually while we are at the storm shelter and we are checking out the storm and how it is moving. We are one step from the door and can easily get inside and lock the door. Our storms usually split off at a ridge just down from our town and that is why we stand outside. Of course, it does not have anything to do with all the dogs and cats that are in cages inside getting to know one another!
Oh fantastic!!! It sounds like you are involved with a safety shelter, too and that you also welcome pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather