Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:14 PM

338 posts, read 613,353 times

Advertisements

What do you think about Stockholm, Swedens climate? (read the facts taken from wikipedia below and discuss.

Stockholm has a humid continental climate according to the Köppen climate classification. Due to the city's high northern latitude, the climate of Stockholm is extremely varied, with four distinct seasons and pretty mild throughout the year, mainly because of the Gulf stream. During the summer, the daylight extend 18 hours, wheareas only around 6 hours in winter. The city has over 1,800 hours of sunshine, and 59 sunny days every year.

Summers are warm and pleasant with average high temperatures of 22°C (72°F) and lows of 13°C (55°F), but temperatures of 25°C (77°F) or warmer occurs on average 16 days each summer. However, heatwaves with hot and sunny weather for a week or two occurs 2-3 times every summer, and there could also be periods of occasional rainy weather. Winters are cold with average temperatures just below freezing, but it stay above freezing on many days. Spring and autumn are mostly fairly cool to mild.

Annual precipitation is 539 mm (21.2 inches) with light rainfall throughout the year. Summers are somewhat wetter than winters, but it is also the sunniest. Snow mainly occurs from january thru march, but most of the winters are free of snow accumulation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 05:21 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
I would expect the climate of Stockholm to be mild, but I do have some meteorlogical background. As soon as you go EAST away from the impact of the Gulf Stream the average winter temperatures quickly decrease. This would hold true for Finland, and most all of Russia. Norway is greatly moderated by the Gulf Stream as well as the UK and Western Europe.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 09-20-2008 at 07:54 PM..

Old 09-20-2008, 07:02 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Well, I'm not one to throw stones at other people's climate considering my own, BUT....

I actually like hotter temps then you described. I wouldn't like the short hours of sunshine during the wintertime. You probably aren't too tropical and I love that.

On the flip side, you have humidity and I like that. Your winters are much better then mine.

But it wouldn't be an ideal climate for me.

Mattias, do you like that climate?

Old 09-20-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Well, I'm not one to throw stones at other people's climate considering my own, BUT....

I actually like hotter temps then you described. I wouldn't like the short hours of sunshine during the wintertime. You probably aren't too tropical and I love that.

On the flip side, you have humidity and I like that. Your winters are much better then mine.

But it wouldn't be an ideal climate for me.

Mattias, do you like that climate?
First of all, summers are not humid in Stockholm.
Well, I like the summers in Stockholm because they are nice and pleasant, but I wish the city had slightly warmer temperatures both winter and summer, and more sunshine.
But now I live in New Jersey.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:55 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Winters in Scandinavia would be a little bit too much on the dark side based on latitude alone. I like a nordic climate at a lower latitude in the US.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:56 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
What do you think about Stockholm, Swedens climate? (read the facts taken from wikipedia below and discuss.

Summers are warm and pleasant with average high temperatures of 22°C (72°F) and lows of 13°C (55°F), but temperatures of 25°C (77°F) or warmer occurs on average 16 days each summer.
72 F is not warm for summer, () however it does sound cool and probably pleasant.
Those 16 days at 77+ F sound warm and especially pleasant though.

In general their climate does not impress me...
But there is a bright side, their winters are probably better than here
since the North Sea keeps them from getting extreme cold, like below -15 C or 5 F.

That annual average of 21 inches does sound a little lighter than I'd expect,
so it's probably fairly nice in Stockholm compared to a few other locations near the North Sea.
(like England, Ireland and Scotland; most places average 40-60 inches of precip)

*At northern latitudes, moderately low annual precip is a good thing, as there are many soggy climates up here.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
72 F is not warm for summer, () however it does sound cool and probably pleasant.
Those 16 days at 77+ F sound warm and especially pleasant though.

In general their climate does not impress me...
But there is a bright side, their winters are probably better than here
since the North Sea keeps them from getting extreme cold, like below -15 C or 5 F.

That annual average of 21 inches does sound a little lighter than I'd expect,
so it's probably fairly nice in Stockholm compared to a few other locations near the North Sea.
(like England, Ireland and Scotland; most places average 40-60 inches of precip)

*At northern latitudes, moderately low annual precip is a good thing, as there are many soggy climates up here.

I wish the avg. temperature in Stockholm during the summer was mid to upper 70s, and not low 70s

Old 09-21-2008, 12:42 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,896,522 times
Considering Stockholms latitude of 60º, their year round temps look ok but you wouldn't see me house hunting there that's for sure :P

I want much warmer temps.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:10 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,121,823 times
I don't like it.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:46 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
I wish the avg. temperature in Stockholm during the summer was mid to upper 70s, and not low 70s
I wish it were the mid to upper 80's, like Athens or Rome.

** All in all though, for it's latitude (and that's WAY too far north for me ) it's probably a decent climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather