Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:37 PM

322 posts, read 1,100,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
^^
You know where Island Pond, VT is? That's the coldest spot in VT usually and they average 150 inches a year.

I like Old Forge, NY.....they average 252 inches of snow a year and they have the coldest temperature ever record in NY (-52)

that's what's up.... -52 degrees man.. the coldest temperature ive ever been in..is -16 degrees when i was living in Illinois a year and a half ago.... it was great i loved it.. and i had to work at 5 am too... it was so awesome god i wish i could go back..there..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 02:42 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,933,360 times
-16 sounds great .

I didn't experience the -52 temp though.....but the people who were living there on Feb 17, 1979 sure did.

coldest I've experienced was -35.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:12 PM

576 posts, read 1,815,230 times
Um, WA is in the western US last I checked, and we don't "deal" with high pressure ridges. Most of us embrace them.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
Um, WA is in the western US last I checked, and we don't "deal" with high pressure ridges. Most of us embrace them.

uhhh...im well aware of that... lol... still for most of the year...more commonly in the summertime.. the Jet Stream is still farther to the north of washington ...it just still rains there in the summer sometimes because washington gets the Southern band of weather systems in the summertime the rest of the storm just wraps around the Ridge and pours into the Midwest.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:06 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,838,115 times
Well it's raining like crazy here on the Oregon coast today. I don't know how far the storm extends, but it's sure getting wet here tonight.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:08 AM

2,611 posts, read 3,582,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
that's what's up.... -52 degrees man.. the coldest temperature ive ever been in..is -16 degrees when i was living in Illinois a year and a half ago.... it was great i loved it.. and i had to work at 5 am too... it was so awesome god i wish i could go back..there..
As much as I love cold weather, I hate it in the morning. I'm not a morning person, but I could be without a t-shirt in 20° weather in the day or night, but if it is below 45° at least in the morning I will feel cold until my body wakes up. Weird, huh?

Old 10-09-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
As much as I love cold weather, I hate it in the morning. I'm not a morning person, but I could be without a t-shirt in 20° weather in the day or night, but if it is below 45° at least in the morning I will feel cold until my body wakes up. Weird, huh?

yeah that's somewhat true...i know exactly what you mean by that..lol you have to give your body time to adjust to the cold mornings especially after you just wake up from sleeping in a warm bed.... yep...you couldn't be more right about that

Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 PM

26,397 posts, read 46,304,639 times
It is a little hard to wake up in the morning when the temperature outside is below zero. You adjust after awhile, but 64F indoor temps are a little chilly in the morning. (In the winter you have to keep the heat low to save money$$$)

Old 10-10-2008, 06:07 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,724,192 times
Quote:
another thing... cold weather doesn't drain your energy like Hot weather does... it wakes me up when it's cold outside... .i love it..
You must be well adapted (genetically) to cold.
If only you lived here, I'd be very envious of you.

98 F with or without humidity, does very little to me except make me sweaty and thirsty.
Cold drains me only because I fight it so much;
any windchill approaching freezing will probably sting my unprotected skin.

I LOVE sunshine, both from the brightness and the extra heat.
(I feel like I'm part iguana )

I live in a climate with 10 times as much cloud,
a 100 times as much cold (hours with temps under 60 F)
and one-tenth the amount of summer-heat (combo of hours and higher temps) that I'd prefer to see.
(Toronto area)

Or another way to put it...
Santa Barbra CA has an undesirably-chilly climate while San Diego and L.A. would be just decent
(if I was a Californian)

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-10-2008 at 06:16 PM..

Old 10-11-2008, 12:16 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,496,173 times
Quote:
I really want to become a Meteorologist, so i always wanted to know...living in california for most of my life i always wondered, Why the Western US for most of the Year has a Strong High Pressure Ridge , what causes it to create Dry and Hot Conditions especially in the Summertime and Why also is the Jet Stream always far to the North?
Theres a couple of things going on.

Much of the west is at high elevations. The Great Basin has big mountains...but even the valleys are at 4000 feet. So...this area really heats up in late spring and early summer. There is not much vegetation to suck up the heat either...so it goes right into the ground...which heats the air near it. This warmer air expands...and you end up with a strong ridge aloft. You can often get low pressure at the surface...but it is a thermal low and has no weather with it.

Also...the jet stream is created by the difference in temperature between the polar regions and the more temperate mid-latitudes. The jet will be wherever the strongest temperature difference is. So...in summer the colder air retreats north...and so does that band of stronger temp change.

Now when the summer ridge sets up over the west...it can effectively block the jet from coming south into the western US. The jet can and often does dive into the central and eastern US however...because there is not this huge mass of hot air in the way :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather