Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

I enjoy the snow, but the cold air is equally refreshing. A nice 15-20F day is awesome for doing some ice fishing or snowshoeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 05:29 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimzymusic View Post
i love it! It's so boring when a place is sunny all year (california) or rainy all year (oregon). I like the feel of the seasons.
love it!

Old 10-17-2008, 08:51 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,678 times
Michigan is really beautiful when it snows, with the previously mentioned exception of the gray slush on the roadsides. I don't even mind driving in it, and I don't have an SUV or 4-wheel drive vehicle.

The only thing I can think of that would make me want to move to a non-snowy climate is the difficulty I have in getting someone reliable to clear/snowblow/shovel my sidewalks and driveway. Because of a medical problem, I've been told I shouldn't shovel snow. My city writes tickets to homeowners who don't keep their sidewalks clear. I have a wonderful neighbor who does it when he can, but he works crazy hours, sometimes in other states, and can't always get to it.

I have hired companies to do this; one disappeared mid-winter, another told me they couldn't clear the driveway because their snow-blower broke. Their shovels apparently broke at the same time.

I've tried asking the neighborhood teens but they don't want to do it, even for $20 for 15 minutes' work. I guess they get allowances for playing their video games, so I can see why they wouldn't! (Yup, I'm turning into a cranky old thing!)

Anyway, contending with piles of snow will either kill me or send me south. Hobson's Choice.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:55 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
From December through the middle of Jan to beginning of Feb of enjoy it. Once the Super Bowl is over, Valentine's day comes and spring training starts, I want 60's and 70's. WOn't happen in Chi-town.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:22 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
Michigan is really beautiful when it snows, with the previously mentioned exception of the gray slush on the roadsides. I don't even mind driving in it, and I don't have an SUV or 4-wheel drive vehicle.

The only thing I can think of that would make me want to move to a non-snowy climate is the difficulty I have in getting someone reliable to clear/snowblow/shovel my sidewalks and driveway. Because of a medical problem, I've been told I shouldn't shovel snow. My city writes tickets to homeowners who don't keep their sidewalks clear. I have a wonderful neighbor who does it when he can, but he works crazy hours, sometimes in other states, and can't always get to it.

I have hired companies to do this; one disappeared mid-winter, another told me they couldn't clear the driveway because their snow-blower broke. Their shovels apparently broke at the same time.

I've tried asking the neighborhood teens but they don't want to do it, even for $20 for 15 minutes' work. I guess they get allowances for playing their video games, so I can see why they wouldn't! (Yup, I'm turning into a cranky old thing!)

Anyway, contending with piles of snow will either kill me or send me south. Hobson's Choice.
That's so different from my town. You see teens walking around town in groups of like 3 with shovels in their hands ringing everyone's doorbells, trying to make some extra cash.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:36 PM

750 posts, read 1,434,678 times
I'm jealous, Tymel!
Forgetting the kids for a moment (their reluctance to do manual labor may just be a local abberation... maybe "not cool" or something) you'd think with Michigan's sky-high unemployment rate that people would be going door to door and offering, wouldn't you?
Ah well. Things to ponder on those cold winter nights!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:31 PM

514 posts, read 765,107 times
Smile try harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I've never lived in a state with four seasons since I've only lived in California and Arizona. But I am so sick of these hot summers 6 months out of the year here in Arizona not to mention no pretty season change scenery as well.
I've never lived in a state that snows but I think it might be better than these miserable summers.
Don't you ever go up to Flag or the Grand Canyon or Catalina Mtn or the Rim country? And you should see the fall colors on the west side of Mt. Humphries. We get snow in our mountains in SD and there's tons of it in the mountains east of LA. There are a number of legitimate ski resorts there. I remember a day at the beach on a 70+degree day in Point Loma and seeing those mountains covered in snow. They were a hundred miles away and people were up there enjoying all the winter sports. My son lives in Bishop (5 hrs away) and is in Mammoth Lakes nearly every day. 3 of the last 5 winters have seen a minimum of 600"(inches!) of snow. Here in CA we can love it and enjoy it without living in it. You don't seem to try very hard.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 12,950 times
Love it. Sunshine year round gets boring.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:16 AM

254 posts, read 653,382 times
Like my parents in Minnesota say. "It's pretty.. for about 10 minutes" Same with when I lived there, it's nice the first snow but it gets old.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:30 AM

711 posts, read 1,143,777 times
I hate it when I have to drive to work in it, have to clean it off my truck, etc. It gets annoying especially when it is icey. When you get alot, you have to shovel it all the time and it's hard to walk in it, and driving can get dangerous... it's horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather