Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 05:38 PM

242 posts, read 595,375 times

Advertisements

I live here by force because I'm in high school.

Basically what that is, is only one true month of summer, but comfortable to cold the rest of the time (comfortable being below 90). Just mixed it up on accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 06:33 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,751,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl14 View Post
I live here by force because I'm in high school.

Basically what that is, is only one true month of summer, but comfortable to cold the rest of the time (comfortable being below 90). Just mixed it up on accident.
Nothing wrong with that; these are meant to be dreams, not neccessarily real climates.
A rapid early warm-up with delayed onset of summer actually does sound pretty cool.

Toronto has the opposite;
delayed early-spring warm-up with a typically rapid transition from mid-late Spring into summer.

Toronto averages:

Jan: 28 F
Feb 30 F (+2 F)
Mar 39 F (+9 F)
Apr 52 F (+13 F)
May 66 F (+14 F)
Jun 75 F (+9 F)
Jul 80 F (+5 F)

Even compared with Toronto,
going from 83 F in June to 90 F in July is stunning transition, especially when accompanied by a relatively-mild winter.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,324,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Georgia Girl's stats show a peculiar trend of rapid early spring warm-up, with delayed onset of summer.
*Raleigh NC for example avgs no lower than 49 F in Jan, is "only" 63 F in Mar, but already 85-86 F by June.
The February is distinctly warmer than December, which is rather odd. It looks like spring starts in February instead of March.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The February is distinctly warmer than December, which is rather odd. It looks like spring starts in February instead of March.
I think there are a lot of places in the Deep South where February has higher average highs than December,
because of the longer days, higher sun and less "seasonal lag" from large bodies of winter-chilled water.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl14 View Post
Apr - > 70/45 - > 5.1 inches----Beautiful spring days with occasional rain and thunderstorms to bring out the color in plants.
^^ I can see why you were stunned about me prefering 82 F and cloudy for the purpose of avoiding 45 F lows.

I would count 70/45 F as "...Nice, but expect cold between 10 pm and 9 am..."

The thing I found about non-summer weather in the southeastern US
is that some part of the day usually feels good for people who hate cold.

We can go precisely 6 months with zero days reaching 60+ F,
yet still have several days with lows into the 40's F, maybe past 50 F.
Sunshine is uncommon Oct-Mar and our temperatures usually change slowly throughout the day.
If it's cold in the morning, it will probably still be chilly late afternoon here.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,185,114 times
Quote:
^^ I can see why you were stunned about me prefering 82 F and cloudy for the purpose of avoiding 45 F lows.

Sunshine is uncommon Oct-Mar and our temperatures usually change slowly throughout the day.
If it's cold in the morning, it will probably still be chilly late afternoon here.
Usually I only notice a "drastic" difference in temperature between early morning and mid-afternoon during spring and fall. It can be a chilly 42 F at 7AM, but quickly warm up to 70 F by 3PM. I really notice this in September and October.

During the summer, while 66 F (for example) in the morning may feel cool compared to say 87 F during the afternoon, many would find 66 F mild enough to go outside in a t shirt and feel comfortable. Summer mornings just feel so mild despite being on the cool-ish side. Probably the humidity plays a role.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,651,535 times
Quote:

Here it seems we can get days anytime of the year where the high fails to reach 60F.. I'm sure historically there are days in July and August where we haven't had a 60F high. It makes for some chilly days at the outdoor pool when you're not in the water.
Ironically enough, I read that they have outdoor swimming pools that are open all year round that are heated by geothermal water in Reykjavik, Iceland (64N). I think that's pretty amazing. Check out the photo

http://wikitravel.org/upload/en/2/2f/Laugardalslaug.JPG

Old 06-03-2010, 04:49 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,055,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Or Asab Island, just north of mainland Saab Island.
Where is this?

Old 06-03-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Usually I only notice a "drastic" difference in temperature between early morning and mid-afternoon during spring and fall. It can be a chilly 42 F at 7AM, but quickly warm up to 70 F by 3PM. I really notice this in September and October.

During the summer, while 66 F (for example) in the morning may feel cool compared to say 87 F during the afternoon, many would find 66 F mild enough to go outside in a t shirt and feel comfortable. Summer mornings just feel so mild despite being on the cool-ish side. Probably the humidity plays a role.
Well Toronto has heat-island-effect and a semi-maritime influence from the Great Lakes.
Probably 1/3 the maritime influence as somewhere like Vancouver.
Climates anywhere over 60 miles from a Great Lake are still dramatically more-continental, like Ottawa for example.

If we are 42 F (5 C) in the morning,
it's doubtful we will pass 65 F (18 C) and more likely we won't pass 62 F (16 C) even on a sunny day.

If we are 42 F in the morning on a cloudy day, we won't pass 59 F (15 C) almost gauranteed.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Here it seems we can get days anytime of the year where the high fails to reach 60F.. I'm sure historically there are days in July and August where we haven't had a 60F high. It makes for some chilly days at the outdoor pool when you're not in the water.
Ironically enough, I read that they have outdoor swimming pools that are open all year round that are heated by geothermal water in Reykjavik, Iceland (64N). I think that's pretty amazing. Check out the photo

http://wikitravel.org/upload/en/2/2f/Laugardalslaug.JPG
We can have that too, though highs below 60 F are exceedingly-rare for July or August.

How many months can Vancouver go with no highs reaching 60 F/16 C?
(I figured Toronto's trend out for myself, just watching forecasts, hoping for 60+ F. )

Typically, early Oct has our last 60+ F days
and we don't see them return until sometime in Apr...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather