Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 04:43 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times

Advertisements

^^ Just having some fun, relax. and anyways it's not anymore "extreme" than SAB's hot climates anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 05:20 PM

578 posts, read 1,188,547 times
35-45C feels like a cross between a sauna and a hairdryer. I can't begin to imagine what -22C feels like (your January high). The coldest I've ever experienced was about -5C and that felt painful.

Here's the 5-day forecast for my imaginary climate.

9/11
High 20C
Low 14C
Sunny

10/11
High 17C
Low 12C
Cloudy

11/11
High 21C
Low 13C
Sunny

12/11
High 22C
Low 10C
Sunny, PM showers

13/11
High 18C
Low 11C
Light rain

Old 11-07-2010, 05:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I would live in a valley, where it ranges from 70-80 most of the time. Sunny and warm, then rainy in the afternoons with a quick intense storm. The mountians have snow in them year round, and it only snows at night, so there is fresh powder every day for skiing. It is about 45 minutes to the ski area from my home on the beach.

Could life be any better? sigh...

Old 11-07-2010, 05:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1987 View Post
35-45C feels like a cross between a sauna and a hairdryer. I can't begin to imagine what -22C feels like (your January high). The coldest I've ever experienced was about -5C and that felt painful.
-22°C is horrible and kinda stingy. I've waited for the bus on mornings with -16°C and it was miserable. Haven't experienced temps that much colder that often.

I biked to a place to go swimming (spot by a river) on a summer day that was almost 35°C. Going back felt like I had a hairdryer blowing into me. Convenient way to dry off.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:11 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,067,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Jan: -30/-51
Feb: -26/-46
Mar: -11/-31
Apr: 18/-3
May: 46/25
June: 72/50
July: 81/60
August: 78/56
September: 54/34
October: 24/4
November: -10/-30
December: -28/-46
Well, at least the summers are nice (presumably with 24 hours of daylight, perfect for outdoor activities).

Yakutsk is a pretty good match, as is Siberia in general. Such extreme seasonal variation would be an interesting thing to experience.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
it's not anymore "extreme" than SAB's hot climates anyways.
I don't know about that. Sabtown at it's worst might be 25 C above the optimal temperature for human comfort. Whereas your average January low is more than 70 C below optimal (which I would say is around 25 C / 77 F). So in that sense it is a lot more extreme. This is why the bulk of the world's population resides in tropical and subtropical regions while the polar regions are laregly uninhabited.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:36 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I don't know about that. Sabtown at it's worst might be 25 C above the optimal temperature for human comfort. Whereas your average January low is more than 70 C below optimal (which I would say is around 25 C / 77 F). So in that sense it is a lot more extreme. This is why the bulk of the world's population resides in tropical and subtropical regions while the polar regions are laregly uninhabited.

If I had a nickel for everytime I heard this I would be rich.

When temperature warms up, it quickly becomes MUCH more extreme. The difference between 110F and 90F in terms of "extreme" is way more than from 0 to 20F. So the optimum human temperature is what? 68F? So you're saying that 115F is just as extreme as 20F? Gimme a break..

Old 11-07-2010, 09:39 PM

87 posts, read 120,180 times
Sabtown, Saab Island Forecast

Temps are in celcius.

SYNOPSIS

Extremely high temps will be caused by a deep heat low in northern Western Australia generating high temps with these conditions carried over Saab Island in persistant southwesterly winds. The northern inland and the east of the 'South island" will see the highest temps. Temps are exprected to reach the 50C mark on Thursday in the Sabtown Basin and in the Mercury Depression and in places near the N and NE coastline. Exposed coastal locations with strong SW'ly winds may experience temps exceeding 50C if the seabreeze holds off. Overnight lows into Friday will be in the low-mid 30's across the N and NE, although locations experiencing a seabreezes may drop below 30, while an exposed coastal station with gusty SW'lies may see spikes of up to 40C overnight.

A change in wind direction to easterlies will cool things off on Saturday evening, returning temps to normal, with a slight chance of showers and storms early next week.

Tuesday
Clear, very hot with light S/SW winds and evening seabreezes.

Low 24 / High 42

Wednesday
Clear, very hot with moderate S/SW winds and possible weak evening seabreezes.

Low 27 / High 46

Thursday
Clear, very hot with moderate to fresh SW'ly winds.

Low 31/ High 50

Friday
Clear, very hot with moderate SW'ly winds easing and tending southerly later.

Low 33 / High 45

Saturday
Clear, very hot with light to moderate SW'ly winds and afternoon seabrezes.

Low 27 / High 45

Sunday
Clear. Moderate S/SW'ly winds tending easterly and easing during the morning.

Low 27 / High 37

Monday
Fine at first although an afternoon shower or storm developing. Light variable winds and afternoon seabreezes.

low 27 / High 36

Tuesday
Clear. Light easterly winds tending southerly during the afternoon.

low 26 / High 39

---------------------------------
Fahrenheit conversions:

Tue ........ 75 / 106
Wed ....... 81 / 114
Thu ........ 88 / 122
Fri .......... 91 / 112
Sat ........ 81 / 112
Sun ........ 81 / 98
Mon ........ 81 / 96
Tue ........ 79 / 102

Last edited by Medway; 11-07-2010 at 09:55 PM..

Old 11-07-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:

If I had a nickel for everytime I heard this I would be rich.

When temperature warms up, it quickly becomes MUCH more extreme. The difference between 110F and 90F in terms of "extreme" is way more than from 0 to 20F. So the optimum human temperature is what? 68F? So you're saying that 115F is just as extreme as 20F? Gimme a break..
68 F is a bit low. I would say about 73 - 77 F is optimal, assuming one is stationary in shade, wearing ordinary clothing (jeans and t-shirt, say). Obviously the optimal value decreases according to clothing, sunshine and physical exertion. Also, note that we need to consider heat indices rather than raw temperatures over 80 F and wind chill below 70 F).

So 130 F would be as extreme as 20 F by my reckoning. If I were only wearing a shirt and pants I'd probably be ambivalent between 20 F and 130 F. Both would be potentially lethal. It would really depend on the wind and humidity. I've been in saunas hotter than 130 F and found it very pleasant. I've also experienced 20 F while skiing and even though I was wearing thermal overalls and a ski jacket I still felt like a popsicle.

On the other hand, 20 F would probably be very nice... if one were inside sitting by the fire in an 80 F room! And 130 F probably wouldn't be so bad if you're in an air conditioned car.

Your dream climate has an average low of -51 F in January, probably getting down to -80 F or lower during cold snaps. That is exceptionally cold. There are only a handful of inhabited places on earth that experience such severe conditions (even Barrow, AK has an average low of only -22 F in its coldest month). Your climate has more in common with mars than earth during winter!

I have to wonder if you've ever actually experienced anything approaching your dream temperatures? Where do you live? Have you ever been to Siberia or Antarctica before (I can't think of anywhere else that regularly gets below -50 F)?

Old 11-08-2010, 02:36 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Coltingbury, New Floridania Weather Forecast
Valid 9th - 14th November, 2010

Forecast Summary:

Severe Weather Warning: With a southerly tracking jet-stream and powerful jet-streak located over the area in the next 24 hours, there is a scope for a potentially severe thunderstorm outbreak along the cold front during the late hours of 9th November. Very cold, dry air descending at the cold front in mid-levels of the troposphere also means hail, possibly large, could occur, and there is a high chance of squally winds, and given the upper level wind-shear, even tornadoes.

Tuesday 9th November
A humid, mild night, then warming quickly under fair conditions AM, but clouding over. Heavy, squally thunderstorms with a high chance of violent winds (60mph+) and hail to 1-2" most likely between 1600 - 19:00.
Low of 18°C / 64°F high of 26°C / 79°F

Wednesday 10th November
A much cooler night, and a day of "sunshine and showers" in the post frontal air mass, as a secondary trough develops - there will be long clear periods, but heavy, thundery showers with hail likely throughout the afternoon. A windy day, gusts to 35mph, and 50+ possible in some showers.
Low of 10°C / 50°F high of 20°C / 68°F

Thursday 11th November
A secondary cold front moving through the area on a vicious north westerly wind, but becoming mostly clear through the day, however, it will be extremely cool, with a chance of frost mid-morning. Cloud increases later after dark.
Low of 1°C / 34°F high of 13°C / 55°F

Friday 12th November
Cloudy throughout much of the morning, and again cold. 70% chance of light showers PM, and also quite windy at times with a NW wind gusting to 40mph.
Low of 6°C / 43°F high of 12°C / 53°F

Saturday 13th November
A cool night, then scattered clouds and light/moderate showers developing. Winds NW to 25-30mph.
Low of 3°C / 38°F high of 15°C / 59°F

Sunday 14th November
A very similar day, but more cloud. 60% chance heavy showers mid-day/afternoon. Winds NW to 30mph.
Low of 5°C / 41°F high of 15°C / 59°F

Further Outlook:
Looks to be quite sunny and not so cool to start the next week, but there will be a threat of showers most days, this increasing a lot later in the week. Temperatures may show a slight rising trend through the week but remain below average over-all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather