U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2008, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Sarasota FL
6,864 posts, read 10,951,941 times
Reputation: 6675

Advertisements

Alaska glacier grew from unusual cold June, July, August
Pendelton OR 22 degrees broke 118 yr record
31 degrees in Ukiah ValleyCA coldest 10/12 since 1893
Earliest Utah snow
earliest October freeze Fairbanks AK
Tampa Fl 10/28 breaks 98 yr record low 42 degrees
snow in London first in October since 1922
Switzerland most snow since records kept
Ocala FL 10/29 33 degrees breaks 122 yr record
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2008, 01:12 AM
 
Location: So. Dak.
13,495 posts, read 35,756,696 times
Reputation: 15179
That is a very interesting list and I've read about most of it and it appears to all be accurate.

To me, weather is fascinating and it just goes in cycles. I was glad to see that all the cold wasn't just hanging over my area like often happens with those Arctic blasts. I'm always happy to share the cold.

It was ironic cause my area went from way below average to well above average while a huge portion of the country was pretty chilly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2008, 02:20 AM
 
Location: Seattle area
8,826 posts, read 10,834,414 times
Reputation: 5973
Snow in Seattle on April 19 2008. The week before the snow (April 12) the temperature reached 79 degrees.
Photo Op: April Seattle Snow
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2008, 03:47 AM
 
Location: Subarctic maritime Melbourne
5,054 posts, read 6,377,007 times
Reputation: 2855
definately global warming lol

here they are even introducing a bloody carbon tax
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 07:34 AM
 
458 posts, read 732,728 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Alaska glacier grew from unusual cold June, July, August
Pendelton OR 22 degrees broke 118 yr record
31 degrees in Ukiah ValleyCA coldest 10/12 since 1893
Earliest Utah snow
earliest October freeze Fairbanks AK
Tampa Fl 10/28 breaks 98 yr record low 42 degrees
snow in London first in October since 1922
Switzerland most snow since records kept
Ocala FL 10/29 33 degrees breaks 122 yr record
That is "Climate Change" The climate changing back to a colder period. At least folks will be able to stop worrying about the Polar Bears!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Floyd County, IN
23,817 posts, read 41,146,414 times
Reputation: 16380
This downward trend in temperatures matches up fairly nicely with the solar minimum. Global average temperatures have warmed 1F in the past 100 years. I would not really judge one cooler year compared with the overwhelming warming trend. If the cooling trend persists for more than several years it would be more significant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
13,251 posts, read 13,171,289 times
Reputation: 13063
I think weather just follows certain cycles, remember when they were always talking about el nino and la nina patterns? A year or two ago (maybe more) that is all we heard about how our weather was caused by those two (and this was in the midwest).

I'm back and forth about global warming because of a transatlantic cruise I took that included stops at Greenland and Iceland. The naturalist and science-type guys onboard made a good case for global warming, scarey actually.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 11:52 AM
 
Location: So. Dak.
13,495 posts, read 35,756,696 times
Reputation: 15179
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I think weather just follows certain cycles, remember when they were always talking about el nino and la nina patterns? A year or two ago (maybe more) that is all we heard about how our weather was caused by those two (and this was in the midwest).

I'm back and forth about global warming because of a transatlantic cruise I took that included stops at Greenland and Iceland. The naturalist and science-type guys onboard made a good case for global warming, scarey actually.
TWC makes a good case for it, too. Personally, I don't believe in it because I feel it's nature as God intended it to be.

But the thing that annoys me is when TWC centers on 30% of the country and goes on and on about the temps are 10 degrees above average for this time of year. The other 70% of the country gets a quick flash and they're 20 below average.

Actually, I'm exaggerating just a bit, but they really do push that agenda. It's funny how they've changed it from "global warming" to "climate change".

The glaciers never did recede more then they were 600 years ago and they're now starting to expand in the area that is frozen over.

I do respect everyone's opinion on this though. Guess it's just how we interpret things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 05:52 PM
 
458 posts, read 732,728 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
This downward trend in temperatures matches up fairly nicely with the solar minimum. Global average temperatures have warmed 1F in the past 100 years. I would not really judge one cooler year compared with the overwhelming warming trend. If the cooling trend persists for more than several years it would be more significant.
In the United States 1998 was the hottest year since the 1930's. Yes 1934 was the hottest year ever in the United States. So you could argue that temperatures peaked in 1998. With the current cooling trend which is totally the opposite of previous predictions of runaway warming, IMHO we are seeing a cooling trend that is now in its 10th year and accelerating.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Floyd County, IN
23,817 posts, read 41,146,414 times
Reputation: 16380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
TWC makes a good case for it, too. Personally, I don't believe in it because I feel it's nature as God intended it to be.
I don't agree entirely with that assesment. Human activities can have dramatic positive and negative impacts on the surface of the earth. Some examples include: 1) Forest clearing, 2) Urban development + factual evidence of urban heat island, 3) Industrial development, and China's rush to build a coal plant a week. (The trend in CO2 emissions coorelates well with the beginning of the industrial revolution) 4) The agricultural revolution increased the overall carrying capacity of the planet, but also led to dramatic increases in fertilizers, irrigation, pesticides, etc. The increase in yields can not last forever because of the finite amount of natural resources that include oil and natural gas. Fertilizers are derived from natural gas, and farm machinery needs oil to run.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top