Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:57 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
That's what I would have thought but climate varies a great deal between places (and so do people's preferences, apparently). To some, 50F in winter will seem balmy or at least very very mild. In NYC, if it is over 50 outside in January, people can't stop talking about how warm it is : "Have you been outside? Did you see how warm it is??"

To others, 50F is very cold, depressing and miserable. Everyone is different I guess. Or maybe it's just an Australian thing
To me, 50F is certainly closer to hell than heaven. Last night, I was out with my dogs, it was overcrappy cast and everything was bleached a dull grey, it was actually a bit warmer than 50F, more like 53-54, with a breeze, and it felt very cold. Very cold and I wished I had a coat. It's certainly not an australian thing, go on the australian weather forums and all you'll see is joy and praise for cold and rain. Those dingleberries are not happy unless it's 0 degrees everyday iof the year and/or if their houses are under water

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
As you know very well, it's not equivalent to Seattle - the margin is at least 250 hours - and to compare it with England with that country's mean of 1460 hours is just laughable. Who do you think you're trying to kid? Anyone with a reasonable grasp of climatology would laugh themselves silly.
Yeah I know that, I was just venting. Although that margin of 250 hours between Cloudbourne and Seatlle is pretty small, so it's comparable....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
It's not necessarily "an Australian thing". And the mythology here about the lack of sunshine in Melbourne has been resoundingly refuted in other threads - you should all be made aware of that.
Mythology? LOL obviously you don't spend much time in Melbourne. Average June sunshine so far is 1.9 hours/day. By your logic, that's sunny as hell isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Same here, it's meant to be summer here, and this June so far we have had 39 sunshine hours (now the 12th) and tons of rain, with an average maximum temperature of 16c/60f. What a pile of old crap. I definately will be moving away quick as possible.

The 7th June was the most "so crap it's funny" day I have experienced in the "crummer" ever before in my life, 8c throughout the afternoon with lashings of torrential rain and squalls of wind. My shoes had to be thrown away as they were ruined by water damage, and my coat and hat were soaked through, and my jeans actually went moudly. That was when I was hit by a squall and nearly fell in Brayford Wharf. What a pile of BS indeed.
8C during the DAY?? YUCK!!! So far we've had 19 hours of sunshine up until the 12th.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:21 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
To me, 50F is certainly closer to hell than heaven. Last night, I was out with my dogs, it was overcrappy cast and everything was bleached a dull grey, it was actually a bit warmer than 50F, more like 53-54, with a breeze, and it felt very cold. Very cold and I wished I had a coat. It's certainly not an australian thing, go on the australian weather forums and all you'll see is joy and praise for cold and rain. Those dingleberries are not happy unless it's 0 degrees everyday iof the year and/or if their houses are under water
Ok but it just seems to me that the whole idea of what is cold and what is not is a bit skewed in Australia. Australia is a very warm continent overall and very few places, probably high in the mountains somewhere, dip down below freezing for any length of time. (I was very surprised not too long ago to learn there are ski resorts in Australia.) And yes, 10C and wind can feel cold and uncomfortable, but it is nothing like negative 10C with wind.

Incidentally, I was reading a thread in the Fargo, ND forum. Here is what one poster had to say about the climate there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabells View Post
I live in Fargo, moved here from CA for the same reasons you did. I thought, wow this place sounds great! But the cold *hurts* You can't breathe when there is 40 mph wind going in your face, and the air outside is 35 below or worse. Your eyes tear up, you can't see through the blurriness, then your eyelashes freeze. Any snot inside your nose that you couldn't normally feel freezes, your lungs ache. You have to get up and start your car at least a half hour before you go *anywhere* in the winter (which is October to March, easily) Don't think that places close or anything just because of the cold. Even if it's 50 below here, they still have class at NDSU. People park in the visitor lot so they don't have to walk a half mile or more from their lot, and they leave their cars running the whole time their in class. No matter how well your windows seal in your house, the wind forces it's way in. You are pretty much stuck inside all winter, from your heated house, to your heated car, to the bar, or the store. Therefore, the alcoholism rate here is very high. There really isn't much to do here besides drink and go to bars. I am the only one I know here that has not had at least 1 DUI.
Now THAT is hell. 54F is tropical compared to that.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:26 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
Quote:

Yeah I know that, I was just venting. Although that margin of 250 hours between Cloudbourne and Seatlle is pretty small, so it's comparable....

Mythology? LOL obviously you don't spend much time in Melbourne. Average June sunshine so far is 1.9 hours/day. By your logic, that's sunny as hell isn't it?
No it's not, but you can admit you're cherry-picking. A few days from one particular month in winter proves stuff-all about the general numbers.

I do suggest you read the quote about Fargo - now that is pretty cold.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
June here is warmer and drier than average

Quote:
June's 2009 weather for Seattle has brought very warm temperatures, sunshine, and dry skies after a warm, partly cloudy, and wet May. For June 1 - 11, there have been nine days with partly cloudy sky conditions and two days with cloudy/overcast sky conditions. Seattle has now gone twenty-three days without any measurable precipitation --- from May 20 through June 11. The average daily high is running 9.3 degrees above normal at 77.1 degrees compared to the normal 67.8 degrees. As of June 11, there are eight days that have reached a high temperature of 70 degrees or above. The warmest day has been June 4 when the temperature reached a high of 91 degrees breaking the previous record of 88 degrees set in 1989; the coolest day has been June 8 when the temperature reached a low of 52 degrees. June 3 set a record high temperature of 89 degrees breaking the previous record of 87 degrees set in 1978.
Seattle Climate Data - Monthly Summary

Old 06-13-2009, 07:32 PM

709 posts, read 1,767,209 times
Quote:
To me, 50F is certainly closer to hell than heaven.
I eat 50F for breakfast.

Quote:
Now THAT is hell. 54F is tropical compared to that
54F is more like spring weather to me rather than winter weather.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:23 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,980 times
Quote:
1.9 hours average daily sunshine so far this crappy June.

Melboune would have to be in the top 1% cloudiest places in Australia this rotting month
This is subarctic maritime weather
Enjoy it while you can

To be fair January saw a record high of 351 hrs. For the January to May period Melbourne is ahead of Sydney by 50 hours.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:28 AM

Enjoy this garbage? Yeah right

Old 06-14-2009, 10:49 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
^^ Scotland and Ireland have some of the crap crap crappiest summers of any inhabited place on Earth. SE Alaska and Punta Arenas would tie for that dubious title.

Average highs in both Ireland and Scotland in July range from 15-19C depending on where you are in the country. In some years (like this one), the temp doesn't even exceed 27C/80F ANYWHERE in the country! YUCK!!!! Most of Siberia and northern Canada and even alaska is warmer than that in summer.
That sounds like heaven to me! I hate sunny, hot weather with a passion! Well, I don't necessarily hate sunny days, I just associate sun with heat so it's hard for me to like it.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:30 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,980 times
Quote:
Enjoy this garbage? Yeah right
Nice isn't it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather