Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:17 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times

Advertisements

Oh wait.....I used degrees in my description....and considering I started this thread.....

CC, you really need a warmer climate. Have you ever heard of Valdosta, GA? It's about 18 miles north of the FL border...usually in winter their days range from 50-75F and nights from 25-45F. They have ample sunshine, spring starts as early as Mid-February sometimes and Winter can start as late as Mid- December. Usually they get temps in the 80s from Mid April through Late October...temps peak in July.....94 for an average high. They reach the triple digits about 7-12 times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:27 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Oh wait.....I used degrees in my description....and considering I started this thread.....

CC, you really need a warmer climate.
Have you ever heard of Valdosta, GA?
It's about 18 miles north of the FL border...usually in winter their days range from 50-75F and nights from 25-45F. They have ample sunshine, spring starts as early as Mid-February sometimes and Winter can start as late as Mid- December. Usually they get temps in the 80s from Mid April through Late October...temps peak in July.....94 for an average high. They reach the triple digits about 7-12 times a year.
^^

Probably, maybe one day.
The whole idea of citizenship stinks IMHO.
I wish it was just based on skills; both language and job skills.
(ie. I can speak English and perform professional tasks flawlessly)

Yes, I've been there. It's on or near I-65.
I noticed that while driving to Florida, it'd nearly always warm up dramatically within an hour of the Florida border. I always thought it was excellent that they "don't get winter" there... People in t-shirts at 10 am, not looking uncomfortable; fantastic; unheard of before late May without a warm spell.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:32 PM

It's on I-75...not I-65. I-65 would be in Alabama...around Mobile or Montgomery and goes all the way up thru TN, KY, and ends in Gary, IN.

Anyways, yes....South GA is significantly warmer than North GA for topographical reasons and because North GA often recieves much more cloudy days, more cold fronts, and sometimes we get "wedges" where a Low pressure system forms off the coast of NC or VA and a warm front wraps around that Low pressure and it gives a narrow band about 70 miles wide...strecthing from Atlanta to Norfolk, cold and cloudy weather. Usually in happens in March or April. Prime example was on March 30th this year....it was 42 degrees in Atlanta in mid-Afternoon and in Macon it was 72 degrees. And it was also 66 in Birmingham. Quite interesting actually.....

Old 11-23-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
It's on I-75...not I-65. I-65 would be in Alabama...around Mobile or Montgomery and goes all the way up thru TN, KY, and ends in Gary, IN.

Anyways, yes....South GA is significantly warmer than North GA for topographical reasons and because North GA often recieves much more cloudy days, more cold fronts, and sometimes we get "wedges" where a Low pressure system forms off the coast of NC or VA and a warm front wraps around that Low pressure and it gives a narrow band about 70 miles wide...strecthing from Atlanta to Norfolk, cold and cloudy weather. Usually in happens in March or April. Prime example was on March 30th this year....it was 42 degrees in Atlanta in mid-Afternoon and in Macon it was 72 degrees. And it was also 66 in Birmingham. Quite interesting actually.....
Oops.

What I meant was it took us about 5 hours to cross GA.
For the first 4 hours there were only sublte changes in warmth.
When we were probably about as far south as just past Tifton,
it started getting radically warmer,
changing from a "mild, southern-style winter" (still chilly but slightly so)
to zero winter, felt like spring was suddenly in full swing. (zero chill, break out the shorts )

It basically felt like "Florida" extends at least 30-45 miles north of the Florida border
as it seemed nothing like north, central and parts of southern Georgia.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:44 PM

LOL, that is true....Palm Trees extend as far North as Ashburn, GA (87 miles north of the border) and abruptly end there. Also "Piney Woods" turns into more of a Decidious Mix once you pass Macon. There's palm trees in Augusta because it's part of the Coastal Plain and it's only at 350 ft in elevation, while ATL is at 1,050 . Part of the reason you see far more Palms in Columbia, SC than you see in Atlanta even though Columbia is further north....

Old 11-23-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
LOL, that is true....Palm Trees extend as far North as Ashburn, GA (87 miles north of the border) and abruptly end there. Also "Piney Woods" turns into more of a Decidious Mix once you pass Macon. There's palm trees in Augusta because it's part of the Coastal Plain and it's only at 350 ft in elevation, while ATL is at 1,050 . Part of the reason you see far more Palms in Columbia, SC than you see in Atlanta even though Columbia is further north....
Interesting facts.

I'm into gardening and plants too.

I think I've seen a wild palmetto or two north(east) of Columbia,
near "South-of-the-Border" on I-95. (NC/SC border)

Old 11-23-2008, 09:02 PM

I wish I could highlight on a map where Palms grow in the Southeast U.S....unfortunately, I have no clue how to do that Graphic here on this forum. .

Oh well. Yes, Palmettos are native to SC....Mostly to the east of Columbia....but some palms grow as far north as Virginia....like the Norfolk area.

In GA, you rarely see a palm that's "native" if you are north of a Columbus-Macon-Augusta line. Usually you have too import them.....and they usually survive....especially the hardier species. You might have to cover them up in Janaury though

Old 11-23-2008, 09:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
cool and sunny;not cold and cloudy or snow.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:14 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
80 to 85 degrees with sunshine every day of the year. Nights can cool down to 70. I'll take some humidity, too. For a wardrobe~shorts, tank tops, sandals, and a bathing suit.
Thats a ditto for me!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:02 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I think you could have snow until the middle of May in Duluth, maybe not every year but a good possibility!

Me I prefer my snow to start Dec. 1 (I'm looking out at 3" right now) and I want it to stop by the middle of April. Can't control it here by the lake but that's my ideal situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather