Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:42 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times

Advertisements

The coldest temperature i experienced in Buenos Aires was 9 july (independe day lol) of 2007 that it SNOWED! (it hadnt snowed in 100 years! Buenos Aires doesnt have the conditions for the snow to happen and its very very rare it did) where the weather was between 32 and 35! . It was truly freezing but the snow in BA was AWESOME!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
The coldest temperature i experienced in Buenos Aires was 9 july (independe day lol) of 2007 that it SNOWED! (it hadnt snowed in 100 years! Buenos Aires doesnt have the conditions for the snow to happen and its very very rare it did) where the weather was between 32 and 35! . It was truly freezing but the snow in BA was AWESOME!
Yeah, snow can be awesome.
It is usually the only time where I can put up with the cold weather and enjoy it when it snows.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Yeah, snow can be awesome.
It is usually the only time where I can put up with the cold weather and enjoy it when it snows.
yes, itrs truly lovely! Specially cause i never lived in a city that has snow so the view of the snow falling and the white landscape its just so new and beautiful! I hope this winter snows again!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
yes, itrs truly lovely! Specially cause i never lived in a city that has snow so the view of the snow falling and the white landscape its just so new and beautiful! I hope this winter snows again!
Wow. You saw and experienced snow in person only once in your life?

Since you like snow, I hope you have more snow experiences soon. I thought it snowed more often in Southern Argentina south of Buenos Aires and in the Andes mountains.

Yeah. Even though I generally like warm/hot temperatures more than cold weather I still like snow and for the reasons you mentions for liking snow.

I enjoyed the two snow blizzards that I experienced this past winter where I live right now. 50 inches of snow in just one month. While I like snow, I just like it for one or two months of the year so it was the perfect amount of time.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Wow. You saw and experienced snow in person only once in your life?

Since you like snow, I hope you have more snow experiences soon. I thought it snowed more often in Southern Argentina south of Buenos Aires and in the Andes mountains.

Yeah. Even though I generally like warm/hot temperatures more than cold weather I still like snow and for the reasons you mentions for liking snow.

I enjoyed the two snow blizzards that I experienced this past winter where I live right now. 50 inches of snow in just one month. While I like snow, I just like it for one or two months of the year so it was the perfect amount of time.
Well, not only once, cause i have traveled to places with snow (Bariloche, Argentina and Minneapolis, USA). But I actually never lived somewhere where it snows. The city i was born and lived until i was 18 is Mar del Plata, south of Buenos Aires province and MUCH colder than B.A, where i live now. But i only experienced snow ONCE in Mar del Plata, and it was in year 1990 (a much bigger snow than the one in BA in 2007). Mar del Plata its a cold city compared to BA but it doesnt snow there either, almost never! In BA its even more rare (twice in 100 years!) and i experienced one of them, yay!.
Then, i traveled once to Bariloche and once to Minneapolis. So i ve seen snow 4 times in my life. Its still not much and i will love to see snow again. Its actually nearly impossible that it will ever snow here, but im hoping i ll travel to a snowy city sometime in the future. 50 inches of snow like you experienced would be awesome!! It means you can actually play with the snow and make snowdolls and stuff! Buenos Aires snow wasnt like that at all, just a very thin lay of snow, but you couldnt even hold it in your hand it melted.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:14 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
In the 2 1/2 years I've lived in Sydney, the coldest maximum was 12.1C (53.8F) which occurred on 2nd July 2010 (our wintertime).
Extending that a bit further, the coldest maximum based on the 55 year's worth of data I have was 9.3C (48.7F) which occurred on 21 Aug 1962 - well before my time .

Winters are very mild here and quite enjoyable, at least compared to winters I've had in the past.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
I dont know the date, but I remember a couple of years ago, we had a high of like 20° or 21° in January... pretty impressive since our "coldest" average low for mid January is 25°. I remember it was frigid. I think that is what finished off my spanish moss.

I think though in January of '85 when we had our all-time record low of -21° on January 21, 1985 (at the airport), we probably had a high in the upper single digits, which is incredible and I dont think we have ever been anywhere near that cold since. I was only 9, so dont remember it that well. I do remember them closing down the schools tight. It was like 3 days no one got out... that was amazingly cold for the south. I remember seeing old news footage where Nashville had a windchill of like -56°!! 56 below zero!!

Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
^^ According to the NWS, your record low max is 8F on January 11, 1982. Which is pretty cold for the south! It's weird because Nashville's record low max is 2F on January 12, 1918 but it has slightly warmer winters and is at a lower elevation than Bristol. Maybe Nashville is more in the way of the arctic air masses that come from Northern Canada since it's further west?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:40 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
^^ According to the NWS, your record low max is 8F on January 11, 1982. Which is pretty cold for the south! It's weird because Nashville's record low max is 2F on January 12, 1918 but it has slightly warmer winters and is at a lower elevation than Bristol. Maybe Nashville is more in the way of the arctic air masses that come from Northern Canada since it's further west?
Thanks for that data! I was not even quite 6 years old yet in January of '82, so I dont remember that one, lol. Probably glad I didnt. LOL. Yeah, that is strange that Nashvilles is colder since they are lower, but you know that was the case for our all-time record low. It fell on January 21, 1985. It was -21° at the Tri-Cities airport.... however, Knoxville dropped to -24°, which is about 600-700 ft lower in elevation and their airport is almost always warmer than our airport... our airport is in a rural river valley location and theirs is like on a heat-island. Example right now, our airport is reporting 66°, Knoxville airport is reporting 77°! At my house we are also at 77° (and we are only 23 miles NE of the airport, but I am close to downtown). Strange how that works.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:18 AM

326 posts, read 871,643 times
The lowest I remember is -10 F on January 7th, 2009.

However, the NWS reports that on Christmas Eve, 1917 the high was -21 F.

This is for Anchorage, AK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather