Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:09 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at the GFS computer models lately and it would appear that much of the eastern US will have temperatures warmer than average for most of September. A large positive height anomaly center in Canada will impact areas of the northern tier and will be tough to dislodge. The North Atlantic Oscillation and Arctic Oscillation look to stay in positive territory, so that also implies a warmer pattern. I am also seeing more El Nino influences in the jet stream pattern out in the Pacific. It will be interesting to see how late the first freeze will come to most areas this fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 08:14 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
Thanks, you just made my day with this thread.

I'm so happy right now, I just hope the same patterns occur in Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan & Feb .

Old 09-06-2009, 08:15 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,376,254 times
We're still hot in Houston

Old 09-06-2009, 08:17 PM

36,416 posts, read 16,024,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
We're still hot in Houston
Poor baby, I know it has been terrible!! I can't believe it is still so hot there!! I won't tell you what it has been like here!!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:18 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,376,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Poor baby, I know it has been terrible!! I can't believe it is still so hot there!! I won't tell you what it has been like here!!
Oh it's very normal to still be hot here in November I know how nice it is where you are, sure wish I was there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-06-2009, 10:18 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,958,753 times
Oh crap...

Old 09-06-2009, 11:40 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I have been looking at the GFS computer models lately and it would appear that much of the eastern US will have temperatures warmer than average for most of September. A large positive height anomaly center in Canada will impact areas of the northern tier and will be tough to dislodge. The North Atlantic Oscillation and Arctic Oscillation look to stay in positive territory, so that also implies a warmer pattern. I am also seeing more El Nino influences in the jet stream pattern out in the Pacific. It will be interesting to see how late the first freeze will come to most areas this fall.
I think you are probably right...this is good news for agriculture as we try to make up for a pathetic June/July.

The only issue for warmth is along the coast. It looks like a series of surface highs may develop...and keep the mean winds along the coast easterly. This will help keep temps down. But inland...it does look like Sept could average 2-4 deg above normal.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:27 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,615,637 times
Sounds good to me! A Canadian high has been giving us our great weather that we've had for awhile now, I think. However, things will change towards the end of this week and for the coming weekend

Old 09-07-2009, 07:09 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,931 times
Long term – weather will always average itself out.

I was telling people this back in early July…when they were moaning and groaning about how the first two months of summer where cooler than normal in the Central/Eastern USA (June and 2/3 of July). Thanks to the cartoonish Weather Channel – there was a great amount of hype about the “cool summer in the Eastern USA”. However, right around July 20th or so…temps across much of the Eastern USA starting running above normal. August ended up being from 1 to 3 F WARMER than average across the metro East Coast from NYC/Connecticut south to Virginia/DC.

The warmer than average Atlantic Ocean temps…along with a strong mid ocean Bermuda High…will likely keep the Jet stream north and at least early fall (October) above normal across the Midwest/Eastern USA. I would think that from around 40 latitude (NYC/Indianapolis/Omaha) southward…the first frost is a solid two months away.

Of course, we will never see the same “weather spin” on the Weather Channel about a warmer than normal August and a likely mild fall coming in the East …that angle is not as marketable (lol).

Old 09-07-2009, 12:37 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Long term – weather will always average itself out.

I was telling people this back in early July…when they were moaning and groaning about how the first two months of summer where cooler than normal in the Central/Eastern USA (June and 2/3 of July). Thanks to the cartoonish Weather Channel – there was a great amount of hype about the “cool summer in the Eastern USA”. However, right around July 20th or so…temps across much of the Eastern USA starting running above normal. August ended up being from 1 to 3 F WARMER than average across the metro East Coast from NYC/Connecticut south to Virginia/DC.

The warmer than average Atlantic Ocean temps…along with a strong mid ocean Bermuda High…will likely keep the Jet stream north and at least early fall (October) above normal across the Midwest/Eastern USA. I would think that from around 40 latitude (NYC/Indianapolis/Omaha) southward…the first frost is a solid two months away.

Of course, we will never see the same “weather spin” on the Weather Channel about a warmer than normal August and a likely mild fall coming in the East …that angle is not as marketable (lol).
The coolest it has been, so far, north of my area have been Saranac Lake, NY (33F) and Fryeburg, ME (34F). This is not unusual for these areas to have lows in the 30s starting in August, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather