Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:32 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
god I HATE it when people suggest to "move" when one doesn't like their climate.

Did it ever occur to you that he might have work, family or social/financial ties at his current location?

Easier said than done buddy.
Thanks for sticking up,
but I didn't mind the comment.

I have few commitments in Canada actually...
but a positive (Canadian ) employment situation, overall.

I definitely agree with your last point;
generally true for all but certain entrepenuers (sp?) (successful business-men, musicians, actors etc.)
and people with certian diplomas (doctors, lawyers etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 10:06 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
You guys need a chill pill or to hash it out among yourselves, no matter what post you are on, you two are at each other, get over it and try to be civil, its just the weather not a political controversy!
I try my best but this guy obviously just can't help himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Thanks for sticking up,
but I didn't mind the comment.
no worries mate, I honestly CANT STAND IT when people tell me, or anyone else to "move" if they don't like the climate. Moving is not exactly easy, or convenient, or possible 99.9999999% of the time, despite what this dingbat thinks.

Quote:
I have few commitments in Canada actually...
but a positive (Canadian ) employment situation, overall.

I definitely agree with your last point;
generally true for all but certain entrepenuers (sp?) (successful business-men, musicians, actors etc.)
and people with certian diplomas (doctors, lawyers etc.)
Exactly. Once we have established our roots, so to speak, which will almost certainly happen as we get our education, our families are located and we get our first real careers in the place where we end up before we are even aware that we are alive..... regardless of our climate..... moving away from all this would be a difficult , distressing and perhaps an impossible event, unless one was lucky enough to find a career in their field in their desired location.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:36 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
So if you can't move, accept reality and stop whining.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
So if you can't move, accept reality and stop whining.
"Reality" being 250-300 days a year of cold-induced pain?
(and occaisionally, A/C induced...)

No, I don't think I can ever fully accept that.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 05-18-2009 at 08:53 AM..

Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times
Quote:

right on you tell him!

I shall also not accept cold cloudy weather - it's depressing, gloomy and I hate it....why should I accept it just because I can't change it?

Old 05-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
right on you tell him!

I shall also not accept cold cloudy weather - it's depressing, gloomy and I hate it....why should I accept it just because I can't change it?
Instead of "accepting reality," I often (at least attempt to...) "distance myself" from it.
I can often be in a good mood when I do things to forget my climate.
Ex: Spending time in saunas, heavy-excerise or even engaging some of the more exciting indoor activies.

*But as long as I live here,
there will always be that lingering irritance of "needing to prepare to go out" most of the year,
even if it's only in my subconscious.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
Quote:

Too bad then! Try distracting yourself with something else. Refusal or inability to understand the difference between what can be changed and what can't is a sign of mental deficiency or insanity (I'm not referring to you, just making a general comment).

Old 05-18-2009, 06:02 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Quote:
Instead of "accepting reality," I often (at least attempt to...) "distance myself" from it.
I can often be in a good mood when I do things to forget my climate.
Ex: Spending time in saunas, heavy-excerise or even engaging some of the more exciting indoor activies.

*But as long as I live here,
there will always be that lingering irritance of "needing to prepare to go out" most of the year,
even if it's only in my subconscious.
I agree that it's a hassle to prepare to go out when it's cold. I am rarely outside in the winter other than the trip from a building to a car (and factor in the time it takes to scrape ice off the windows ), but the thought of going outside is almost as bad. Plus, it's depressing to know it's impossible to go outside and be comfortable.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:15 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
It is not cloudy at all during the winter in central NH. I would say at least 75% of the days during winter are partly cloudy to sunny.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It is not cloudy at all during the winter in central NH. I would say at least 75% of the days during winter are partly cloudy to sunny.
That map on the other page proves that we're both right; Toronto is typically gloomy and NH "not really."
I'm amazed that the Great Lakes actually cause more cloudiness for Toronto than the North Atlantic does for New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather