U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-10-2008, 12:15 PM
 
Location: USA East Coast
4,445 posts, read 9,450,022 times
Reputation: 2129

Advertisements



Although I’m not a big winter fan…I do like some snow for Christmas!

However, it is looking more like another green Christmas in the Tri-State area. Right now it’s near 60 F in NYC/Long Island and across southern Connecticut. In fact, a few places along the New Jersey shore and Delaware are getting thunderstorms. Rain this week will end, but no sign of ANY snow for the next 8 days. This puts us to the 18th of December. We are running out of time again. This was the same thing last year.

For those north of the Tri-State area (MN, MI, WI, Upstate NY, MA, VT, NH, ME…etc) who has snow on the ground already?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2008, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Bourbonnais, IL
1,355 posts, read 3,957,116 times
Reputation: 732
At least in places farther north you have green grass in the winter. Bermuda grass here goes brown in November and doesn't get green again until April.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2008, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Floyd County, IN
23,075 posts, read 40,148,749 times
Reputation: 15638
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post

Although I’m not a big winter fan…I do like some snow for Christmas!

However, it is looking more like another green Christmas in the Tri-State area. Right now it’s near 60 F in NYC/Long Island and across southern Connecticut. In fact, a few places along the New Jersey shore and Delaware are getting thunderstorms. Rain this week will end, but no sign of ANY snow for the next 8 days. This puts us to the 18th of December. We are running out of time again. This was the same thing last year.

For those north of the Tri-State area (MN, MI, WI, Upstate NY, MA, VT, NH, ME…etc) who has snow on the ground already?
Take a trip inland if you want to see some snow.... The Green and White Mountains in New England will see a foot of snow or more over the next few days. They will have plenty of snow for good skiing and have been making a good deal of snow lately.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2008, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
12,898 posts, read 12,877,061 times
Reputation: 12941
On the east shore of Lake Michigan, we have over a foot of snow on the ground and I doubt that we'll have a "green" Christmas. We'd have to get some really warm days to melt all this snow!

I haven't checked NOAA's snow cover map lately. I'm driving to Iowa Friday so I'm hoping we get a break from this pattern for a few days!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2008, 06:29 PM
 
Location: USA East Coast
4,445 posts, read 9,450,022 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Take a trip inland if you want to see some snow.... The Green and White Mountains in New England will see a foot of snow or more over the next few days. They will have plenty of snow for good skiing and have been making a good deal of snow lately.
That sounds like a good idea. I just feel bad for the little kids...they want to see Santa in the snow (kind of goes with the image). A trip up to New England may be the ticket for them to see it.

Down here it was humid, 60 F, and heavy rain in southern Connecticut. I even saw on TV they were surfing along the Jersey shore and Long Island. Most of the Tri-state normaly gets little snow in December...but it should be in the mid 40's not 60 F. I just want to see some snow for the Christmas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,594 posts, read 25,735,116 times
Reputation: 3590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
At least in places farther north you have green grass in the winter.
Bermuda grass here goes brown in November and doesn't get green again until April.
^^

I was about to say,
at least a green Christmas is better than a brown Christmas.

*Nameless, does OKC get a lot of brown Christmasses? (sp? lol)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2008, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Bourbonnais, IL
1,355 posts, read 3,957,116 times
Reputation: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^

I was about to say,
at least a green Christmas is better than a brown Christmas.

*Nameless, does OKC get a lot of brown Christmasses? (sp? lol)
Usually we have about a 10% chance of a white Christmas. So a brown Christmas occurs about 90% of the time. There have been two maybe three with snow on the ground in my lifetime (18 years).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2008, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,618 posts, read 3,319,410 times
Reputation: 2464
Down here we still have a green Christmas. People still cutting their yard, etc. Just when I thought I saw the last of any 90°F day, since Nov. 11 or so, we hit 90°F and tied a record on Tuesday.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2008, 11:48 PM
 
Location: So. Dak.
13,495 posts, read 35,494,741 times
Reputation: 15178
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
Down here we still have a green Christmas. People still cutting their yard, etc. Just when I thought I saw the last of any 90°F day, since Nov. 11 or so, we hit 90°F and tied a record on Tuesday.
TWC was talking about a city tonight, but I didn't catch where it was. Texas, possibly? They said that Tues. they hit a record high and Wed. OR Thurs., they will be hitting a record low.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2008, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,618 posts, read 3,319,410 times
Reputation: 2464
Wasn't us. We tied the record high of 90°F on Tuesday that was set in 1983, but we missed the record low by 2 degrees, we hit 41° and the record was 39°. Tonight we will hit mid 30s, but the record low is 29°.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top