Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 09:33 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times

Advertisements

Cold weather is great. That reminds me... I need to buy a few more items for cold weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 12:24 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I despise cold weather. Anything below 20 is something I don't care for at all. I don't like feeling "bundled" up for weather. I don't like keeping up with jackets, coats, gloves, etc. I don't like the movement restrictions from wearing a lot of clothing. I don't like the runny nose and chapped lips that cold brings. I don't like my joints feeling stiff and achy. I don't like having to "warm up" the car and get all the frost off the windshield.

Living in TX, I don't have to deal with that type of weather much, which is great.
I agree wholeheartedly..almost as if I'd written this myself. Having spent a lifetime working outdoors, (95% of the time in shorts), I can't stand the idea of being 'bundled up'....and on those rare occasions when I've had no choice, when I DO put on the 'layers', I no longer feel like I can accomplish anything. Here in Southern Cal, we don't have quite the problems of other areas, but it CAN get uncomfortably chilly here....yet I'd rather be a little chilly than put on the 'layers'.

Obviously, someone in a more rigorous climate may laugh at this..yet when I see photos of carpenters, or roofers, or road workers in seventeen layers of winter wear, I wonder "how can they WORK in all that 'padding'?".....

Old 12-17-2008, 01:29 AM

396 posts, read 1,275,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
How long can you handle staying outside with just a t-shirt when it is 20 something degrees ? Can you go a whole hour ?
I might be able to. I've never really tried it. It depends on a lot of variables, such as humidity and winds. There are some times when I'm fine around 20 and others when 35 feels really cold to me. A lot of it just depends on how I feel at that time, too. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to be cold, so that probably affects my perception of it as well.

Apparently it's in the low-to-mid teens outside right now. I'm going to go take out the trash right now (yes, at 1 in the morning, haha) in my t-shirt and see how it feels.

Okay I just did it and honestly that was the most refreshing thing I've done all day. It felt so nice! Although I probably wouldn't be able to spend an hour in it unless I was really occupied. I wanted to just kind of stand there and enjoy it but it's easier to notice the cold when you're bored stiff haha.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:30 AM

396 posts, read 1,275,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
112 in the summer of 2000. I was working as a welder in a tin building with no climate control. Good times! A week later it got up to 108/109, and I worked a full shift welding, left, took a nap and got hydrated, then went to an outdoor concert. It was around 101 at sunset when we got to the parking lot. I would NEVER consider doing that in temperatures below 30.
I think he asked what the COLDEST high temperature you've ever experienced is.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:20 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,880 times
Oops. Yeah, I misread his post. The coldest daytime high? I can't remember a specific number, but low 20's. I don't ever remember a high that did not make it above 20. But I remember a few times the high not getting close to 30. I would take 112 over a high of 25. I've worked in non climate control facilities in both situations.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:31 PM

117 posts, read 394,493 times
I love cold! Everything I enjoy doing occurs during the winter especially skiing and snowboarding. I Actually spend more time outdoors during the winter then I do when its warm out in summer.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingprof View Post
I love cold! Everything I enjoy doing occurs during the winter especially skiing and snowboarding. I Actually spend more time outdoors during the winter then I do when its warm out in summer.
Then you live in the perfect place for your preferences. I'm your neighbor to the west and I like summer weather so I'm a misfit.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:23 PM

289 posts, read 569,810 times
Because once I am cold I feel like I can never get warm again. I HATE being cold. I HATE not being able to feel my fingers, nose, or toes, & that's inside. I live in West Tennessee & I totally understand that our winters are nothing compared to most others but still a windchill of 7* & a temp of 12* is too stinking cold for me. And I would not come out of the house if I lived where it was -25 or -40 temp.

And the same old "you can only take off soo much cloths but you can always add more.....blah....blah.....blah......" I have heard it before. And I still don't believe it. I work at a truck stop that opened July 4 2005. That summer we had no AC & that winter we had no heat. Fans helped in the summer, however my t-shirt, sweatshirt, heavy jacket (zipped), & gloves in the winter on 3rd shift did very little to help the cold.

I would rather sweat any day of the week as to be cold. At least in the summer I can turn on my fan & point it at me, stand in front of my AC, & go swimming. In the winter all I can do is suffer. I can't wait to move to Daytona Beach Florida.

Not to mention that I and my feet hate tennis shoes. I own 3 pairs of tennis shoes (2 for work & 1 for whatever) & yet I probably have 30 or more pairs of flip-flops. My feet hurt worse in tennis shoes than anything. It's the being enclosed & confined feeling that I hate.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:57 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,497 times
Why do people dislike/hate cold weather ? Well for one it limits what you can do, with snow (the result of cold weather and precipitation) it makes roads slippery which can cost you your life or at the very least a lot of money with a banged up car. Do you like sitting on the deck with a drink and chatting with your spouse after a long day at work ? Don't do much of that in the winter do you :-) How about perpetually dirty cars (outside and inside) from road slop for 6 or 7 months a year. Enjoy shoveling ? To me mowing the lawn is much easier than shoveling. Enjoy heating bills ? How about the spots on the back of your suit pants kicked up from your shoe heels from walking in slushy dirty snow around town...thats one I really hate. Being cooped up in the house more in the winter definately adds to the colds and flu that keep getting spread around.

Having to buy and have cothes all the way from a swim suit to 3" thick winter parka. Ask the one in your house who is in charge of keeping floors clean....Winter provides copius amounts of dirty, sandy, salty slop all over the entry way floor which needs to be cleaned at least once (or more) a day or else it tracks all over the rest of the house.

Enjoy your froze up car not starting in the morning much ? How about the back breaking job of scrapping snow off your roof a time or two during the winter...that's alway fun. And of course the act of spending 5 minutes getting dressed (hat, gloves, coat, scarf, boots etc..) everytime you want to go outside and of course fogged glasses when you come back in and are stumbling around and walking into things until you can see again :-)

Ever had your septic tank freeze up ? We haven't had that one happen personally. But a few years ago we had extremely cold weather before we got any snow and literally hundreds of people around the area had that happen and ended up with two choices. Either not use your plumbing for a few months until spring or hire a company to come unfreeze it for about 500 bucks....that's a very enjoyable way to spend your "mad" money.

Every year we end up replacing a couple shrubs and/or perennial flowers that don't make it through the winter....kind of a "two steps forward, one step back" type of thing with the landscaping around the house. And then there is the conundrum of humidity in the house. You can either let it get as dry as the Sarah desert and put up with shrinking woodwork, creeks in the floor and itchy skin on your body and sandpaper hands or.....you have the option of running a humidifier and fogging up your outside windows and ruining the woodwork around the windows. You're adjusting the humidifier every day a few times....down at night when it gets cold and up a little higher during the day when it cracks the zero degree mark outside to keep it "just right" without fogging the windows.

Now, reading all this you'd think I'm a really misserable peson....which I'm not :-) But when someone questions my basic belief that cold weather sucks....I hit um with both barrels :-)

Have a nice day !

Old 12-24-2008, 02:43 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post

Now, reading all this you'd think I'm a really miserable person....which I'm not :-) But when someone questions my basic belief that cold weather sucks....I hit um with both barrels :-)

Have a nice day !
I love cold weather! It's way better than being too hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather