Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,615,637 times

Advertisements

Mount Washington, NH has always fascinated me! I think I'd like to visit there some day! I've been reading a blog from there on Accuweather, very interesting!

Because Granite mentioned it and we're all going to be experiencing much colder weather, here is the link to their website:

http://www.mountwashington.org/

Last edited by susancruzs; 01-10-2009 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Add link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 10:00 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Yup, that's exactly how I feel about those cold temps.

Granite, that's horrible. Most people can't even imagine what windchills like that feel like, but I know it's just awful. You can barely breathe in that kind of weather. People do actually freeze their lungs~not sure how that works medically, but it can lead to a lot of problems. Please tell me that no one lives in that area.
The observers on top of Mt. Washington have to go outside and take observations 24 hours a day 365 days a year. They use some of the most high-tech gear imaginable that would more suited for Antarctica. All observers have to cover their face whenever they go outside unless milder air moves in!

The observers get weekly supplies delivered to the top of the mountain via snowcat, and the observers have shifts where they live on the mountain for a specified period of time, and then they get a break. It is a grueling environment even for the fittest of individuals. Observers do live in lodging associated with the observatory.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Mount Washington, NH has always fascinated me! I think I'd like to visit there some day! I've been reading a blog from there on Accuweather, very interesting!

Because Granite mentioned it and we're all going to be experiencing much colder weather, here is the link to their website:

Mount Washington Observatory – White Mountains, New Hampshire (NH)
It is a fascinating place, and I highly recommend visiting during summer! We brought some friends from Louisiana up to the summit via the auto road, and they enjoyed the experience very much.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:42 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Oh I would trade with you in a heartbeat!! No matter how many clothes I take off in the summer, I can never get cool!!!!

Ok I'll trade.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:54 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,801,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Oh I would trade with you in a heartbeat!! No matter how many clothes I take off in the summer, I can never get cool!!!!
If I didn't know you better, I'd say you're lucky.
I usually hate feeling cool.
I guess that's one main differences between us.

I hate it when I'm wearing just a bathing suit and do not even feel "slightly-warm" in the shade.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 01-10-2009 at 02:03 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 02:27 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
Oh wow, and sometimes I think my job sucks. I don't have the education or knowledge to do what those people do, but it's doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy even if I could do it.

Granite, how far away do you live from Mt. Washington?

Old 01-10-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Oh wow, and sometimes I think my job sucks. I don't have the education or knowledge to do what those people do, but it's doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy even if I could do it.

Granite, how far away do you live from Mt. Washington?
I live in the Merrimack Valley, which is three hours to the southwest of Mt. Washington.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I know that evry summer I think iot is bad but the winter when it gets cold is really depressing. My family being frm the NE ;when I am there i the winter ;it is like they just hunker down. i can't really take being indoors that much. I am use to the moths from october to early june being outdoor weather.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:34 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I know that evry summer I think iot is bad but the winter when it gets cold is really depressing. My family being frm the NE ;when I am there i the winter ;it is like they just hunker down. i can't really take being indoors that much. I am use to the moths from october to early june being outdoor weather.
I didn't realize that you were a Tx. transplant. What area do you live in? I think coastal Tx. looks nice, but then you've got the canes.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:13 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
So what is it about cold weather that bothers people?

Um...the cold. I grew up in the northeast and lived in the hills in New England. I was sooooo tired of shoveling snow and dealing with dark and seemingly endless winters.

It's been in the 60's here during the day and 40's at night for the past 2 weeks. We're looking for "very cold" weather coming up with lows in the mid 20's and highs near 50 degrees. I don't dread winter any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather