Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 12:37 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,107,669 times

Advertisements

------dealing with cold weather for two months or more"---------

Two months I can hack, it is the more part I can't

Some years autumn ends too soon and spring comes too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 04:37 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
In August it can still be over 90 at night, that's not much relief to me. The temperature does not change drastically in Houston during the summer, it just stays HOT. I would to have the problem of dealing with cold weather for two months or more!!!
YEAH. Thats pretty brutal, but I would take that any day over 19 degrees at night. The forecast said it's gonna be 19 degrees on Saturday.. It may be hot at night in Houston, BUT when I was in Austin it would change drastically with the sun down. It was like that with the rest of Central Texas including South Texas and San Antonio. I guess it's because of those warm waters ya'll have in the gulf.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:46 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,697,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I would to have the problem of dealing with cold weather for two months or more!!!
ILNC, what do YOU consider "cold weather"?

I think you would have a much easier time here than me,
and I have no problem "dealing" our extended cold...
(I am just grumpy most of the year because of it)

We average 2.5 months below freezing for daytime highs,
and we can be below freezing most days as much as 4.5 months straight...
But we usually get a few days each month at or above freezing.

As far as "cold" goes,
there's not much difference in chill from the 30's compared to the mid 20's.
The main thing that being below freezing weather does is make a lot of simple tasks difficult:

Ex: Washer-fluid must be used frequently to clear away road salt,
but below freezing temperatures make the washer-fluid separate,
so you end up putting some ice on your windshield when you clean it; then you need to turn on your car heat to burn it off again, or get out and scrape.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,697,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
YEAH. Thats pretty brutal, but I would take that any day over 19 degrees at night. The forecast said it's gonna be 19 degrees on Saturday..
We've had a high of 10 F and a low of -10 F already this winter.
I'll trade you for your 19 F on Saturday.... Please???

*90 F at night sounds nice, (vs. our occaisonal chilly, breezy summer nights in the 50's F; Brrr!)
but that could be because I resent needing long-sleeves (or warmer clothing) every month of the year here. (freak summer cool-cold spells)

Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,260,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
YEAH. Thats pretty brutal, but I would take that any day over 19 degrees at night. The forecast said it's gonna be 19 degrees on Saturday.. It may be hot at night in Houston, BUT when I was in Austin it would change drastically with the sun down. It was like that with the rest of Central Texas including South Texas and San Antonio. I guess it's because of those warm waters ya'll have in the gulf.
Ah 19 at night sounds wonderful to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
ILNC, what do YOU consider "cold weather"?

I think you would have a much easier time here than me,
Well I don't start to feel cold unless it's about 30, maybe 35 if it's windy. I wish I could send you some of my body heat!!!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 PM

26,373 posts, read 46,209,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
We've had a high of 10 F and a low of -10 F already this winter.
I'll trade you for your 19 F on Saturday.... Please???

*90 F at night sounds nice, (vs. our occaisonal chilly, breezy summer nights in the 50's F; Brrr!)
but that could be because I resent needing long-sleeves (or warmer clothing) every month of the year here. (freak summer cool-cold spells)
You have recorded a temperature already at -10F? The coldest it has been here has been -2F so far this winter. However, we have lows forecasted at around -10F or lower tommorrow night and Friday night.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:51 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,695,151 times
Oh, the days of 19 degrees! If it gets to 19 here I will pull out my shorts and t-shirt!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:00 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,260,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Oh, the days of 19 degrees! If it gets to 19 here I will pull out my shorts and t-shirt!
Don't forget your spedo!!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:19 AM

14,284 posts, read 14,514,220 times
You guys are too funny! We're having a heat wave this weekend, in the 20's, woohoo! We're at -10 right now, overnight it was only -12, not that bad.

I keep saying being lakeside is good, gives us extra bursts of snow but does keep us warmer. However, if you want hot summers that isn't happening here. Two Rivers never had 90s last summer, high 80s not that much. Lots of humidity because of all the water. I have the lake on one side, the east Twin River on the other and a little further, the west Twin River.

Spring is coming, gang, maybe we should have a countdown????

Old 01-15-2009, 02:08 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
WOW. You guys are amazing. All these people on here talking about how 19 degrees is warmer than usual. Thats crazy. Ya'll must live in some COLD environments. You guys are longing for the days of 19 DEGREES, and sayin it was only -2 is not that cold? WOW. HOOSIER you would be out in shorts and a t-shirt if it was 19 degrees? It must be REALLY cold in Indiana. So anything above 0 even if it's just 2 degrees is considered warm for ya'll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather