Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:34 AM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times

Advertisements

I'm already buying my winter coats and boots etc. Ha! S-c-r-e-w Texas and its miserable heat!

[/quote]

I agree life in Texas ain't fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 11:45 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Cold makes me shiver, sweating makes me dizzy

Myth: Anyone can stay warm by putting enough layers on

More like a fact. Unless its below zero with windchill, youll be fine. Where I will be moving to, it wont be much below freezing and on the rare days where its really chilly, ill stay indoors that day.

For the heat:

- heat and humidity make me sweat and feel dizzy+tired. The sweat gets in my eyes and hurts. It smears my glasses up, when cold doesnt.

- Even at 98 F I get so overheated I must rest in the shade and I feel sick from the heat.

- I dont need to bundle up in the south FL "winters" and wont be needing to when I move north unless its below freezing.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:47 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Myth: Anyone can stay warm by putting enough layers on

More like a fact. Unless its below zero with windchill, youll be fine. Where I will be moving to, it wont be much below freezing and on the rare days where its really chilly, ill stay indoors that day.

For the heat:

- heat and humidity make me sweat and feel dizzy+tired. The sweat gets in my eyes and hurts. It smears my glasses up, when cold doesnt.

- Even at 98 F I get so overheated I must rest in the shade and I feel sick from the heat.
No, I won't.

Windchills around freezing have brutalized my fingers, even while wearing light-weight gloves and gave stabbing cold pains to my toes through my socks and tennis shoes.

I'm not trying to make myself feel cold.
Sometimes when it's below 65 my fingers can feel almost like ice; "Where's the switch to turn the warm blood pump on?"

I'm sorry to here about you getting dizzy and tired during heat.
For me that happens only once in a while. Usually I only feel dizzy when I'm trying to do too much or getting stressed out.

When I take a gulp of cold water or eat ice cream, I can feel the cold radiate from my head to my stomach, sometimes even my upper arms and back, so that's usually all the refreshment I need.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:10 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Ill be the middle guy here. I like both cold and warm weather. I prefer it a little cooler at times, just because its more comfortable.

Sub-zero temps are frickin awesome to me. I love the crispness in the air, those super silent nights with the bright moon reflecting off the snow. Mmmm.

Then again I also enjoy a nice summer night as well. Nothing like showering then heading out in the car for a cruise:destination unknown. Mmmm.

I cant nor wont live anywhere where its hot or cold year round, thats just no fun. Give me variety or give me death. LOL

Old 03-11-2007, 04:20 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
elfyum, I think I'm your long-lost cousin, too.

Hate, hate, HATE cold. My muscles tighten up and ache. Yesterday, even tho it was in the low 40's here in NNY, I couldn't warm up (I blame it on the dampness). It's not fun sitting around in 3 layers of clothes with slippers, two blankets on and drinking a hot beverage (tea or cocoa or coffee) just to warm up. And that's inside!

Old 03-11-2007, 08:01 PM

653 posts, read 3,407,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
elfyum, I think I'm your long-lost cousin, too.

Hate, hate, HATE cold. My muscles tighten up and ache. Yesterday, even tho it was in the low 40's here in NNY, I couldn't warm up (I blame it on the dampness). It's not fun sitting around in 3 layers of clothes with slippers, two blankets on and drinking a hot beverage (tea or cocoa or coffee) just to warm up. And that's inside!
I am with you on this. I Hate cold weather. I came from Wisconsin and it is brutal for nearly 6 months out of a year. Cold and Damp. In Nevada now, hoping to NEVER see a day below freezing again.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:48 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Cool weather lovers like us need to trade places with heat seekers like you. Everyday is a miserable hot day for me and I dream all the time of some cool goodness. There was a "cold" front a few weeks ago and it got down to 45 outside and I definately prefer that over the 80 degrees outside.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Cool weather lovers like us need to trade places with heat seekers like you.

Everyday is a miserable hot day for me and I dream all the time of some cool goodness.

There was a "cold" front a few weeks ago and it got down to 45 outside and I definately prefer that over the 80 degrees outside.
I can handle the cold on a good day, but somedays I can't. It's only those rare, weird days that I can actually have hurting toe-popsicles when it's overcast, damp, maybe windy and in the 30's F. Most of the time I can easily handle tennis shoes down to about 25 F, and down to 15 F on a windless sunny day.

That sucks that you're miserably hot everyday.
Sometimes 84 F feels like cool-goodness to me; vaguely spring-like, but that won't help you much.

45 F? So you did get to see some winter weather.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-12-2007 at 12:15 AM..

Old 03-12-2007, 08:12 AM

250 posts, read 932,791 times
I don't tolerate any extreme temp! I hate the heat! Plain and simple! You can't do anything when it's hot outside; too hot to garden or swim or hike. I reached 50 here yesterday and as soon as the sun hit me, I started to sweat! Oh did I mention that I usually burn in the sun within minutes no matter the amount of sun screen!

On the flip side, I hate hate hate the extreme cold, where your fingers freeze with in 15 minutes of exposure. I don't wear coats either, which makes it hard for me in the winter. When it gets cold here in MI, like 20 or lower, I don't wear a coat, gloves, or hat; I just grin and bear it and pray for spring to show up soon!

My ideal weather is fall-like! anywhere from 65-45 is great for me!!! Don't think there's anywhere like that in the U.S, though!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
My ideal weather is fall-like! anywhere from 65-45 is great for me!!! Don't think there's anywhere like that in the U.S, though!
There is, Eureka California!

Coldest month is January; high of 54, low of 41.
"Hottest" month is September; high of 62, low of 51.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-12-2007 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather