Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 11:29 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,353,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Thanks for calling us un-human. Some of us just prefer to be comfortable, and for me, comfortable doesn't exist when it's hot and sunny.
It doesn't have to be hot and sunny though. What about cold but sunny. I can get not liking heat but not liking the sun? Un-natural.

What room temperature do you call comfortable? 40°F? 0°F? Nobody truly finds those types of temperatures comfortable or they would live through the winter without a second thought about heating and there'd not be any reason to wear coats hats or scarves or much clothing at all in the coldest days of winter.

Part of my liking of warm temperatures is that I don't have to think about that to be comfortable.... I could just wonder in and out without thinking of needing extra clothing. Yet you have to pile on layers of this that and the other to be comfortable or spend more money on heating bills to be comfortable... yet claim you like the cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I don't really care if it sunny or cloudy but..

I went to Spain in April 2006, the temperatures were around 26C and I got heatstroke and spent the next 3 days in bed puking my guts out.

Some people simply don't care for heat and sun, some have medical reasons. Calling people unhuman for disliking the sun is a bit harsh..

Did you find a medical problem? It is not normal for a healthy person to get heat stroke at air temps of 26°C!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 12:14 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,506,216 times
Working on orchards, I've seen people suffer heatstroke/sunstroke in mild temps. Not enough sun protection, lack of water, and calm conditions can make a mid 20's C day potentially dangerous, more so while doing heavy work.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:19 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,154,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
It is not natural to have a strong dislike of sunshine and warmth. There is something un-human about such people. Sun is the primary giver of life and energy. Loving cold and darkness seems like liking death.
I wouldn't say it's un-human. Some people just don't tolerate heat and sunshine well. I usually don't get sunburn since I'm careful, but when I do, it's very uncomfortable. It's difficult enough to sleep when it's warm and humid out, but sunburn just adds a whole new layer of misery. I'm not a fan of sunscreen (or any lotions for that matter) either.

I'm just very comfortable in cool, cloudy weather. Yesterday it was overcast and 60 F, and I felt fine walking around in a t-shirt. That's not always the case, but for some reason I seem to get a male version of hot flashes on occasion.

Some sunshine is okay, especially in the morning, but it gets old and boring after a while. Just ask people who live in Phoenix.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:21 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,154,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Working on orchards, I've seen people suffer heatstroke/sunstroke in mild temps. Not enough sun protection, lack of water, and calm conditions can make a mid 20's C day potentially dangerous, more so while doing heavy work.
Agreed. Our average high is around 25 C in early September, and it still can feel quite hot with a strong sun.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:25 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,353,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I wouldn't say it's un-human. Some people just don't tolerate heat and sunshine well. I usually don't get sunburn since I'm careful, but when I do, it's very uncomfortable. It's difficult enough to sleep when it's warm and humid out, but sunburn just adds a whole new layer of misery. I'm not a fan of sunscreen (or any lotions for that matter) either.

I'm just very comfortable in cool, cloudy weather. Yesterday it was overcast and 60 F, and I felt fine walking around in a t-shirt. That's not always the case, but for some reason I seem to get a male version of hot flashes on occasion.

Some sunshine is okay, especially in the morning, but it gets old and boring after a while. Just ask people who live in Phoenix.

Don't forget I live somewhere which gets less than 25% of the max possible sunshine. Permanent cloud is far more boring.

I don't like perpetual sunshine either however. I have numerously mentioned how I enjoy heavy thundery downpours. But I don't understand not liking sun at all.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:15 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,482,416 times
Theres nothing un-human to not liking 34 ceslisu/85% humidity sticky days!!!
I start feeling uncomfortable after 28 celsius, but keep in mind that i live in a city that is very very humid and the "feels like" its always hotter than it says and the summer lasts 5 long months and most days in summer are over 30 celsius. You probably havent experienced this kind of weather since you live in UK. And if you have, then it was for a short period of time and not 5 months in a road. Plus, the subway full of people here in BA gets to be more than 50 celsius in summer. So, yeah, i dont tolerate that kind of weather wich is logical cause it causes all kinds of horrible things: dizziness, sweat, fainting, vomiting, etcétera. I fainted couple of times last year in the awful december heat wave (like 15 days way into the 100) and i feel dizzy everytime weather goes up 32-33 celsius. I asked the doctor and told me this is completely normal, and that i should drink water. So, yeah, some type of hot weather do suck and its perfectly normal to hate it.

Warm weather is a different thing. i probably would love every summer in the UK. I adore 20 celsius and sunny. I love sun if its 18 celsius, 20 celsius, even 24 or 25 celsius (not more than 26-27 though) and even more so with low humidity (with low humidity i can tolerate more temperature). I also love 10-15 celsius with sun, too. My favourite weather is this kind of mild-warm weather.

But HEAT?? NO WAY! Thats awful.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:37 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,778,087 times
I really don't like North-Western European summers. In terms of absolute temperatures, the temperatures are a lot like what I was used to in Victoria, BC, but without the corresponding summer dry. 20C and sun is fine weather in a light jacket, but if you have waves of cloud coming in dropping sharp showers on you one can find oneself wet and shivering in July and August afternoons.

The Dutch, North-German, and English countrysides are quite pretty in the summer, staying green rather than that somewhat blanched look that often appears in the Pacific Northwest after June, but they pay for it with their dark and drear weather.

By comparison, while 30C in, say, Miami ( to use a sticky place ), can leave one sweaty, it opens up swimming possibilities, there's no need for special clothes or the worry that if one gets soaked ( as one often does in wet tropical afternoons ), one will start shivering and need to change clothes.

I'm remembering two vacations, both of which I got soaked repeatedly during the course of one sightseeing day. Amsterdam: shivering and running back to the hotel for new clothes. Miami: happy dancing in the warm rain.

There is a limit ( I'd rather a London summer than a Doha summer ), but I find myself better adapted to summers hovering around 30C than summers hovering around 20C.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,189,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
The Dutch, North-German, and English countrysides are quite pretty in the summer, staying green rather than that somewhat blanched look that often appears in the Pacific Northwest after June, but they pay for it with their dark and drear weather.
Huh! I didn't notice any blanched look at all in the Pacific NW at all this summer, except for maybe the Victoria area; which is drier than most of the Pacific NW

Old 10-14-2011, 01:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Theres nothing un-human to not liking 34 ceslisu/85% humidity sticky days!!!
I start feeling uncomfortable after 28 celsius, but keep in mind that i live in a city that is very very humid and the "feels like" its always hotter than it says and the summer lasts 5 long months and most days in summer are over 30 celsius. You probably havent experienced this kind of weather since you live in UK. And if you have, then it was for a short period of time and not 5 months in a road. Plus, the subway full of people here in BA gets to be more than 50 celsius in summer. S
I suspect Buenos Aires summers are very similar to NYC summers. Heat and Humidity is very similar. I grew up in Long Island, which is a few degrees cooler and I found the summers usually pleasant but sometimes too sticky.

NYC subways are oven-like in the summer.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I wouldn't say it's un-human. Some people just don't tolerate heat and sunshine well. I usually don't get sunburn since I'm careful, but when I do, it's very uncomfortable.
I've sunburnt before, but never enough for it to be painful and I tend not to use sunscreen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather