Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 02:49 AM

396 posts, read 1,276,095 times

Advertisements

I love the cold. I really dislike the summers here because it gets so hot and dry. Evening t-storms, usually weak, and temperatures usually reaching a high of 90-100 degrees in the middle of July. I dislike anything above about 90, and when it gets to 95 it's downright untolerable. Everyone always tells me "well, it's a dry heat." If humid heat is worse, I don't want to know!

I love the cold, but only to an extent. I only like it if it's not windy; it if is windy, I can barely even handle freezing without a jacket. If it's not at all windy, I can handle down to about 25 without a jacket. With a jacket, I can handle just about anything. It rarely gets below 0 here, and I can handle it when it does for the most part. I just really like the chill and refreshment that comes with cold weather. In hot weather, you're constantly sweating, the heat beating you down and tiring you out, overwhelming you...it's so unpleasant.

But that said, I like snow even more than extreme cold. It can still snow when it's not very cold (say around the freezing point). That's the best kind of snow! Wet and sticky and heavy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 09:20 PM

13 posts, read 48,551 times
There is something special about hearing snow cracking under your boots as you walk and breathing the cold air. It wakes me up better than coffee.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:33 PM

13 posts, read 48,551 times
I don't know how people jog in the wintertime, but i see them do it. I would worry about the sweat.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:41 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Today, it's 93 degrees here in Alabama and feels like 99. I always look forward to a cold day, but then my arthritis kicks in and everything hurts - fingers, shoulders, wrists, ankles...even my collar bones hurt. And then I remember why I like it hotter. At least I did until I hit menopause. Now...give me 40 degrees any day!

Old 08-01-2007, 01:45 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I hear you, Southlander. Forty degrees sounds great to me! I'd just settle for low humidity. The THI has been grim around here lately.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:55 AM

9 posts, read 28,307 times
I despise the dead of winter. After 5 years in Vermont and now in SE PA, I appreciate the middle of summer humidity. Winter puts me into hibernation and makes me lazy. I don't see what is "refreshing" about having numb extremities and never being comfortable. Heavy clothes make me itch like crazy if I break a sweat. Hate it! I'd trade a brutally hot summer (that'd have to be 101+ for me but always bearable) for a milder winter.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenwallclock View Post
I despise the dead of winter. After 5 years in Vermont and now in SE PA, I appreciate the middle of summer humidity. Winter puts me into hibernation and makes me lazy. I don't see what is "refreshing" about having numb extremities and never being comfortable. Heavy clothes make me itch like crazy if I break a sweat. Hate it! I'd trade a brutally hot summer (that'd have to be 101+ for me but always bearable) for a milder winter.
Alright!!! Another one of us who doesn't like the cold and loves the warmth. I was starting to feel like our kind were becoming outnumbered.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:10 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I hear you, Southlander. Forty degrees sounds great to me! I'd just settle for low humidity. The THI has been grim around here lately.
Y'all should move to Canada!

Our annual average temp (avg. between daytime high and morning low) in Toronto, our southernmost major city is only 45 F.
Toronto only gets 4-5 months a year where lows in the 40's or colder aren't common.
Where most Canadians live, we do not see an excessive amount of days below freezing
(northern-winter weather lasting 3-4 months)
but what we do have is a general absense of warmth and an abundance of days below 55 F in all seasons but summer.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:15 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Today, it's 93 degrees here in Alabama and feels like 99.
93 F?
I'd love to have that instead, even 93 F while raining.

Today's high 45 F, 10 mph wind, low at 32 F.
It actually felt kind of warm today,
considering yesterday's 43 F with 25 mph winds.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:25 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
there is a reason why cold has a whole host of negative connotations.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather