Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:22 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Why do people have such an aversion to cold weather? I love, love, love cold weather. My feeling is, you can always put more clothes on to stay warm, sleep with flannel sheets and cuddle by the fire with your significant other...or your puppy.

Hot weather to me (anything above 85, depending on humidity) is absolutely awful. Only so many clothes to take off. My wife knows when I've had enough of summer when I begin closing the curtains, crank up the a/c, pull out a blanket and watch Christmas movies.

So what is it about cold weather that bothers people?

PS: yes, I live in Minnesota...the coldest weather I've been in while living here is -40 with the windchill, which was tooooo cold for me. I can handle/enjoy up to -25 and then it's time to stay inside!
Life is a pain in the *** when its cold. Any thing from taking the garbage out to simply warming my truck up in the morning makes life more difficult than should be. I can't enjoy any of my hobbies like riding my mountain bike on the trails or kayaking. It gets dark at like 4pm up north for months.

The thing is, I don't like crazy hot weather either, but my definition of hot is anything over 105 in a dry climate like Arizona or anything over 95 in the extreme humidity in some place like Florida. I'll take those 3 summer months that are a little uncomfortable down there over the 6-7 months a year of winter BS I'm suffering through right now.

A lot of this has to do how one is built. I'm 8% body fat, so 90 degrees even in humidity is activity weather. My brother and his family are all obese. They literally won't go outside in anything over 85 degrees. But will walk around in t shirts in 60 degree weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 11:47 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
When I went to Lake Placid I saw some guy running outside in -20F (-29C). He was covered in thick but light gear from head to toe (I could only see his eyes).

The lowest temperature at which I've run outside is -2F (-19C), on the morning of February 21, 2015 for 2.5 miles. It's not bad provided you wear a hat and some gloves to protect the extremities from frostbite.
20F is my cutoff. if there is too much snow/ice on the ground, I also won't run. i'll just use the treadmill at the gym. at some point, the drawbacks of running outside in that crap will outweight the benefits for me.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:32 PM

824 posts, read 688,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Life is a pain in the *** when its cold. Any thing from taking the garbage out to simply warming my truck up in the morning makes life more difficult than should be. I can't enjoy any of my hobbies like riding my mountain bike on the trails or kayaking. It gets dark at like 4pm up north for months.

The thing is, I don't like crazy hot weather either, but my definition of hot is anything over 105 in a dry climate like Arizona or anything over 95 in the extreme humidity in some place like Florida. I'll take those 3 summer months that are a little uncomfortable down there over the 6-7 months a year of winter BS I'm suffering through right now.

A lot of this has to do how one is built. I'm 8% body fat, so 90 degrees even in humidity is activity weather. My brother and his family are all obese. They literally won't go outside in anything over 85 degrees. But will walk around in t shirts in 60 degree weather.
I am low healthy weight, but I think 60 is fine for t-shirts. Being fat doesn't make you cooler, and I simply feel comfortable in cooler temperatures much easier than warmer.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sir View Post
I am low healthy weight, but I think 60 is fine for t-shirts. Being fat doesn't make you cooler, and I simply feel comfortable in cooler temperatures much easier than warmer.
Do you mean being fat doesn't make you warmer?

It does, that's why fat people sweat so much. They have a nice extra coating of adipose tissue that healthy people don't. Also, weight has nothing to do with how insulated one is. You can have a normal BMI and still have a high body fat percentage just like you can have a high BMI and still have low body fat if you have a lot of muscle mass.

People with low body fat do not tolerate cold weather very well just like people with high body fat do not tolerate hot weather very well. Honestly, what fatty in the history of mankind has ever said "boy do I love hot weather." lol They are literally the reason that one has to bring a sweatshirt to go out to eat in the summer when you're down south. There is nothing worse than walking around in 100 degree Texas weather and then having lunch in some place that has the thermostat set at 68 degrees for the whales. I suppose it keeps them from stinking the place up, but it's still annoying having bring a sweatshirt or avoid eating indoors all together in the middle of July.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:04 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,043,461 times
I have to say i like the cold mainly between late November and late February. The sun angle is pretty low then here up north (53° latitude) the days are short and the nights pretty long.

Since i live in an oceanic temperate climate, longer cold spells are rare here anyway and so its always nice for me when we got a week or two of really wintry conditions. However compared to larger parts of the US, it does not really get pretty cold here in Northern Germany.

The lowest temperature ever recorded in the past 66 years here was -19°C (-2°F) and the lowest in the past 100 years about -22°C (-8°F).
What makes the winter really cold here is the frequent high wind, five years ago we had a day with a high of -8°C (18°F) combined with 30 mph eastern icy winds. I went outside for two hours wrapped up like on a Arctic expedition. It was cool first but after those two hours i had enough of the biting winds.

This is also the reason why i prefer cold spells with weak winds. Having a winter as long as 6 or 7 months sounded cool when i was in the 20s- but now being in the mid 30s i have to say even though i still like the winter season too, 3 months maximum of wintry weather is definately enough for me.

I would say my cold tolerance now ends somewhere about -20°C (~-5°F). I definately wouldn't like to have temperatures below -30 or even -40 for weeks.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:55 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,408,741 times
Quote:
People with low body fat do not tolerate cold weather very well just like people with high body fat do not tolerate hot weather very well.
My body fat is within 10% and that statement is NOT true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The East Frisian View Post
This is also the reason why i prefer cold spells with weak winds. Having a winter as long as 6 or 7 months sounded cool when i was in the 20s- but now being in the mid 30s i have to say even though i still like the winter season too, 3 months maximum of wintry weather is definately enough for me.
+1 Well said I'm thinking the same way.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
My body fat is within 10% and that statement is NOT true.
:
That statement is absolutely true. To argue it would be to argue against basic biology.
If you and a 300lb fat guy fell into freezing water, guess whose getting hypothermia first.....

Also, you may not personally like hot weather, but your body is capable of tolerating it unlike someone that is morbidly obese. This is one of many reasons they don't allow fatties in the military.

Also, you live in the south, so you probably have no Idea what a real winter is like. Come spend a few winter months in Wisconsin and tell me how much you like it .

Old 03-08-2015, 12:33 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
I don't mind cold temps down to about -7C / 20F or a bit below if no wind.
I want to stress no wind (or a slight wind). Strong wind makes any cold temp feel much worse.

The kind of temperatures this February in my neck of the woods were nothing short of brutal.

Very cold temperatures make everything difficult.

Last January my car wouldn't start and had to get a new battery.
This February it was my dad's car, again had to get a new battery.
People in very cold climates have to get very strong car batteries with high cold cranking amps.
When my friend moved to Winnipeg he bought Canadian Tire's "Eliminator" battery.
Also need winter oil, 10 W 30, southern US climate just needs straight 30.

Just walking to the mailbox can be torture, like someone slapping you in the face.

0C to -7C is a piece of cake, I like those winter temps.
-15C -20C ....a different story, I know some people enjoy it, like Kaul or Chicagogeorge,
....not me I'm definitely no heater lover but I'm not a super cold lover either.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:18 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Quote:
That statement is absolutely true. To argue it would be to argue against basic biology.
If you and a 300lb fat guy fell into freezing water, guess whose getting hypothermia first.....

Also, you may not personally like hot weather, but your body is capable of tolerating it unlike someone that is morbidly obese. This is one of many reasons they don't allow fatties in the military.

Also, you live in the south, so you probably have no Idea what a real winter is like. Come spend a few winter months in Wisconsin and tell me how much you like it .
He can say the same to you, you live in Wisconsin? You don't know what real summers are like. Come spend a summer in the South and see how much you like it.

And also just because he currently lives in NC, doesn't mean he hasn't lived somewhere else. For all you know he could have lived in Siberia for a while.

And the reason they don't allow fatties in the military has nothing to do with sustaining heat, and everything to do with conditioning. It's a well-known fact that fit people are better conditioned (duh). Being able to sustain heat would be useless if you go to war with Russia for example.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:26 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,408,741 times
Quote:
I'm not originally from the south and once I wear short sleeve in upper-teens, people here often asking me are you from Alaska or something about as most they can't tolerate the cold. Don't worry, admit that I haven't experienced any Upper Midwest kind of winter season where it tends to be exposed below sub-zero almost every week during the cold front but I know what's the real cold is like. I'm from the "D" climate according to Koppen Climate Classification System.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather