Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:30 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times

Advertisements

A quarter inch to half an inch of snow in extreme northwest Mississippi. They were predicting ice only so this is good. Whitened the ground nicely without much problems on the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 12:59 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,080 times
hi ya kaykay...glad to see you have no power outage nor damage....

we are doing ok, school was out for today for son, he is enjoying the day for sure...

we missed out on anything sticking thankfully. our current temp is 33 with wind chill of 27 so we still have the cold weather to deal with and after yesterdays high of 70 it sure does hurt!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
In the DC area, it started out as snow and stopped around mid-afternoon. Later in the day, it snowed again but than it changed to sleet and that's where the fun begins. That snow quickly turned to ice and motorists had a fun spinning time on the beltway. I'd rather deal with 12 inches of snow than 1 inch of ice.

But thank God something fell. Winter has been terrible here as of late. I want another but bigger storm now.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I received about 10 inches of snow with 1 inch of sleet.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:10 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Censusdata, that's about how it looks here. We lost power for about 15hrs between last night and this evening (from 2am to around 6-7pm today), and there are still about 5-6K Henderson Muni power customers w/o power,(city power company, not to mention thousands more Kenergy and KU customers) but they are working around the clock. It's not the power they are worried about right now, it's the gas lines. Somehow they are broken throughout the city (that's what I heard at dinner anyway), and they have to fix those first. Went to Walgreen's and Wal-Mart to get more candles and batteries and kerosene, and they were out of pretty much all of it. I did get the LAST 2 pack of D batteries for the mag lite just in case and of course mangos (I LOVE mangos, lol!).

Cable to our house is still out, since our cable line is still lying in the middle of the street, (thank goodness the neighbor has a different line and a wireless connection, lol!), and there are trees down and transformers blown everywhere.

In Evansville, IN; the EVSC said if they miss 7-8 more days, the kids will have to either have a shorter school year this year, or start going to school on Sat's to make up the days.

There's no telling how much longer till things go back to normal, but I will say I have seen more goodwill due to this storm, and everyone is helping each other out, and helping to get through this mess.

We helped the neighbors move branches from their cars, and from their porches and stuff, and they helped us move our truck. It's VERY nice to see this kind of compassion towards others, ya know? I think we are going to help people in other areas tomorrow if we can, I mean we do have a truck and chains, so we can pull branches out of the way, and pull people (cars) out if we need to. And I HATE winter weather SOOOO much, so ANY time I can bust up ice and take it out on the weather, you damn well better believe I will, lol!

Anyway, I'll still be around unless we loose power again, then when it comes back on I'll update.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:52 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Ew, looks like its been real bad. I hope everything gets back to normal soon for everyone! Sad to see all of the damage and know that people are without power and freezing tonight.

We dodged all of the wintry part of it here in northeast Tennessee - just all rain, but a heavy rain. It rained all day on Tuesday. It was 64° here at 7am on Wednesday morning and it was sunny, but very windy, then heavy rains moved in around 11am, and temps fell into the 50s, then 40s, then the rain stopped.

Hope all gets back good soon!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:35 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,962 times
Here in Wichita Falls, TX. we had a little under 1/4" of ice fall. It was enough to close down most schools around the area for 2 days, and it ended up causing about 60 accidents. Fortunately, the TXDot crew worked hard on getting the roads sanded in advance of the storm, and it really minimized what could have been a major ordeal. Just last year, in Feb. 2008, we had one freezing rain incident that lasted for about an hour one morning, caught everyone by surprise, and we ended up with over 100 wrecks that morning!

It is supposed to be back up into the 50's today, and into the mid 60's by Saturday. Gotta love this crazy winter weather!!!

Ian

Old 01-29-2009, 08:23 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Lexington KY didn't have as many power outages this time as happened in 2003, when 70% of the city lost power. KY Utilities spent millions of dollars removing trees and branches near power lines and it obviously worked.

In 03 there was a 500 pound branch dragging my house's electric line half to the ground from the main power lines - somehow power never went out

Old 01-29-2009, 10:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
We started out with freezing rain Monday afternoon, Monday night it turned to sleet, Tuesday morning back to freezing rain, then sleet, then snow, then freezing rain, then sleet, freezing rain, sleeted overnight Tuesday, Wednesday snow. My power's been out well over 40 hours, my gutters are frozen and backing up. Branches down everywhere. And just found out if there is any damage to the house, the insurance company won't cover it because policy doesn't have "ice" coverage.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 AM

9 posts, read 14,786 times
In Fort Wayne, Indiana, we got about 6.7 inches of snow. No ice or sleet, thankfully. In December, we had an ice storm that left half the town without power for almost a week.

The western counties of WV got hit hard. A lot of ice. My sister may be out power until Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather