Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 10:56 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times

Advertisements

They had a news story on the internet last night about the 93 year old man who froze to death because he was partially cut off from electricity/heat. I was hoping that someone would post a link to the story and was surprised to see John didn't have one.

Anyway, they had limited his utilities~once he hit a certain amount of useage, it automatically shut off. He would have had to physically go outside to his meter and trip it. When they found him, he had the $$ for all his bill lying in the house. There was even a bill from the utility company hanging on his door when they entered the house. He's the gent who froze to death a few weeks ago~from Michigan, maybe?

I know, that's old news~but yesterday they released the info that the guy had left $600,000 to his church. Makes you kinda wonder if his loyalties really belonged there since it appears he'd been pretty much abandonded in life. It doesn't sound like he had any family left either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 11:59 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Yes it happened in Michigan. Here is a link. Sad story really it looks like. There is thread going in the Michigan forum about it.
93-year-old man freezes to death indoors - Life- msnbc.com

Old 02-06-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Yes it happened in Michigan. Here is a link. Sad story really it looks like. There is thread going in the Michigan forum about it.
93-year-old man freezes to death indoors - Life- msnbc.com
Thanks. I'll have to check it out.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:01 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I remember reading about it, thought it was awful, horribly sad. When I was in Illinois, I lived in an area for seniors and it amazed me how some of them lived.

They'd skimp on themselves, give money away, be afraid to turn the a/c on in the summer because of a high utility bill.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I remember reading about it, thought it was awful, horribly sad. When I was in Illinois, I lived in an area for seniors and it amazed me how some of them lived.

They'd skimp on themselves, give money away, be afraid to turn the a/c on in the summer because of a high utility bill.
Yes, those people knew how to rough things out. I imagine we seem like wimps to them. Many of them still don't have AC in their apartments/houses let alone central air. I've been spoiled. I've lived with AC and a furnace since I was 17 years old. We've had central air now for the past 12 years so I'm REALLY spoiled.

I still just find it horrible that he had all that $$ and left it for the church and ended up giving his own life by freezing to death.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:30 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times
This is one of my pet peeves - society ignoring and not taking care of our elders. Of course, that 'church' is certainly going to cash the check. I wonder how many times those kind folks bothered to check on this man?

OK,sorry, no ranting in the weather forum - But it is a sad thing. Yup, we certainly are wimps compared to that man's generation. I am a wimp.

I just read a book called The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. In it he tells the story of his complaining to his mom about something incredibly minor. His mom, all sympathy and sweetness, told him: Your father is trying to understand, dear, how hard you have it. Why, when he was your age he was only fighting the Germans. Something like that...anyway, there you have it: Us and the Greatest Generation.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:34 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
My gosh - how horrible.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:49 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
Seebee, you can rant, as it is frustrating, it didn't have to happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather