Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:33 PM

643 posts, read 1,394,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Storm View Post
Its the stress on trees in the heatwave.

Confirmed 65 people now killed from fires. Up to 100 or over possibly now.
Dude im from arizona. never happened there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 08:35 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,962,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
Dude im from arizona. never happened there
That probably is because trees in AZ are designed for dealing with extreme heat and dryness. Cactus have spines instead of leaves as a way to survive the dry season, they also have deep roots which supplies them with water.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:19 AM

1,032 posts, read 1,505,662 times
Exactly has DX says mate. The trees down here are way different then the ones you have. They cannot stand long-periods of dry weather or heat, or else the whither and die under complete stress.

131 people confirmed dead now. Unofficial death toll is over 200!

Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
That probably is because trees in AZ are designed for dealing with extreme heat and dryness. Cactus have spines instead of leaves as a way to survive the dry season, they also have deep roots which supplies them with water.
Thanks dxiw.

A lot of the trees we are losing here are not natives so they're not equipped to deal with long periods of high temps and no water. Many of those trees are dropping large branches even in light breeze OR on days when it may drizzle the water weights the branches and they come down or like the one in my backyard, sometimes the branches, big branches, just drop off. This drought has been going on for a long time now so how plants and animals react is different from anything we've seen before.

I am happy to have FINALLY got word that the farm still stands but how it did I'll never know.

My thoughts and love are with those still dealing with this.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:16 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
I believe they just said the death toll is now at 118. They also said that they really have no accurate count because they're not able to get into some areas and feared there would be more people who didn't make it away from the fires.

Sorry, didn't catch the guy's name, but the gent that they keep interviewing did say that arson is involved and it's murder. SO, hopefully that means that someone will pay for all this carnage.

Something that I've found totally amazing~I can understand every word that the Aussies who are being interviewed are saying. Yea, I know you all speak English, but I thought the accent would be so prevalent that it'd be harder to understand. So, no language barrier there.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:36 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Why are there so many trees planted that can't handle heat with drought in Australia?

Where I am, the only tree I can think of that doesn't like extended heat is the "Norway Maple." It was brought here for its "salt-tolerance" over 100 years ago. (for use beside roads that get salted in the winter) It re-seeds more aggressively than our native maples and give it two normal summer weeks without rain, or one week at 30-37 C and no rain and it's leaves will start to die. After 3 weeks of 27-35 C and no rain a lot of trees will be totally bare. It's also a stupid tree for wind resistance. I've seen mature Norway Maple trees (25 feet high and trunk diameter about 1 foot) ripped in half by the winds, and every leaf was still intact and firmly attached to the branches.

Our native tree's leaves don't usually notice the heat itself, and there is zero leaf drop before 3-4 weeks with no rain. (or after 2 weeks of combined 30+ C and no rain; extremely rare here, we usually have a few thunderstorms)

Old 02-09-2009, 04:48 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times
^^ simply 'coz they "look nice".

Old 02-09-2009, 06:58 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
The current drought is Victoria is unprecedented and the trees that aren't coping were all planted in a time when the current drought situation was inconceivable.

Death toll from the fires has risen to 175 and still climbing.

Thoughts are with those still dealing with the fires.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:26 AM

1,032 posts, read 1,505,662 times
I am from Victoria where this bushfire inferno is all occuring, so the information I have is all accurate. Sab is also here in Victoria living in Melbourne.

I was affected only minimily by a bushfire to our north, but that was easy compared to about 24 out-of-control fires still burning over central and eastern parts of the state.

Many towns have been completley wiped off the map. They are no more. People that did stay to fight had no chance. There was no escape.

It is likely that new fires will develop over the coming days as winds are strong southerly, fanning embers into new areas where its not already burnt. The only advantage to fire fighters at this point in time is that temperatures are mild.

A big concern that may develop around Friday onwards, is that when winds turn easterly (still fairly strong) it will shift fires to move west, towards central parts of the state and new un-burnt forested areas. Another problem is, is that temperatures from Friday onwards, will rise to become warm to hot again, so that with the winds is not good. The temperatures however are not expected to be as hot as previous weeks.

Another major concern is that a trough of low pressure may develop over the state on Sunday, and will continue to sit there on Monday, Tuesday and most likely Wednesday. This with the warmer NE and moist winds will spark showers and thunderstorms across all of Victoria - showers are good but the storms will contain lightning, though at this stage its likely they will be wet though, which is good!

Excluding the above, there is no rain on the forecast in the next 7-days. And I cant see any for the next 10-14 days either, as high pressure cells are blocking anything developing from the Great Southern Ocean.

The official death toll is now at 173 people, with the toll feared to go over 200 people, and the un-official death toll being reported is at 300 or more.

My condolences are with everyone affected by the fires!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times
Large Pyrocumulus now reported over Healsville. That could create lightning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather