Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Tomorrow we're supposed to be about 83 and no one will hear me say "WooHoo" I am so excited to get such warm weather!!!
Wishing it were me,
as I ponder that thought,
I scratched my chin and notice all my fingertips are quite cool,
surprising me as they chill my face when they brush past.

(No, I have not been outside recently. I've been inside for 6 hours with room temps between 68-71 F with no noticeable draft)

Old 02-25-2009, 10:46 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Tomorrow we're supposed to be about 83 and no one will hear me say "WooHoo" I am so excited to get such warm weather!!!
About the same here!

You would not hear me say, "Wow, it's so unseasonably warm for February. ILNC, why don't I come down that way and since we both love this heat so well, we can go to the beach!"

NOT!!!

Old 02-25-2009, 11:20 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times
^^ seems like 80's are stock standard winter weather in texas.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
^^ seems like 80's are stock standard winter weather in texas.
Nope, but it seems like they always get at least 2-5 days of 80's each winter month.

FYI, late February in most of Texas is not really considered winter by many people.
Anywhere in the southern U.S. under the 34th parallel (to the 36th in some places) it seems that mid-February is the end of winter...
Though massive cold fronts still can occur,
(ie. -19 C in Birmingham, AL in one year on March 2nd or 3rd)
it's regarded as early spring as it's typically after the averages have gone up for a few weeks, and early flowers are coming into bloom.

Look at any southern U.S. town for the daily averages, and you'll see that from Feb. 1st to the 28th, averages are consistantly warming up. Where I live, averages only start to warm AFTER mid-February, and not consistantly, but in spurts.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Nope, but it seems like they always get at least 2-5 days of 80's each winter month.
hmmm I see. We have no chance of getting a single goddamn 80 between May and August Inclusive.

Quote:
FYI, late February in most of Texas is not really considered winter by many people.
Anywhere in the southern U.S. under the 34th parallel (to the 36th in some places) it seems that mid-February is the end of winter...
Here November is considered end of winter..... or in the case of this year....jaunary 12th

Quote:
Though massive cold fronts still can occur,
(ie. -19 C in Birmingham, AL in one year on March 2nd or 3rd)
it's regarded as early spring as it's typically after the averages have gone up for a few weeks, and early flowers are coming into bloom.
but those are rare i believe?

Quote:
Look at any southern U.S. town for the daily averages, and you'll see that from Feb. 1st to the 28th, averages are consistantly warming up. Where I live, averages only start to warm AFTER mid-February, and not consistantly, but in spurts.
Any southern US town seems to lack a winter, and sport summers about 9 months long.

Melbourne is exceptionally cold compared to most southern US towns, atleast in the spring, summer and autumn months.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:01 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
They talked about Texas on TWC last night. They listed several cities along with the temps yesterday. Most of them weren't familiar like Dallas or Houston or Fort Worth. They did mention that the temps were very high for this early in the year and they said you could be in for a long, hot summer.

I'm not sure if I agree with them though. We had spring very early one year and they thought we'd have a hot summer and it was one of our coolest summers. I remember having to wear pants a couple days in July.

I wish you girls could just send me about 50 degrees of that warmth.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
hmmm I see. We have no chance of getting a single goddamn 80 between May and August Inclusive.

Here November is considered end of winter..... or in the case of this year....jaunary 12th

but those are rare i believe?

Any southern US town seems to lack a winter, and sport summers about 9 months long.

Melbourne is exceptionally cold compared to most southern US towns, atleast in the spring, summer and autumn months.
First consider your latitude... Most places labelled "southen U.S." are below the 36th parallel.

Down south, winter nearly-aways over when the calendar says it's the First Day of Spring.

Definitely.

No Texas is different because of not only being south, it's also southwest. (and drier tends to lead to higher temps)
Also places like Dallas would be closer to the ocean if they were further east, so it is slightly south of a lot of areas encompassed by the saying "southeastern U.S." And Texas is a BIG state, where going from north to central TX, or central to southern TX makes a bigger difference than states to the east. In central NC, roughly at the 35th parallel, my friends from there tell me that summer starts in late April or early May and lasts until late-September or early October. (essentially, 5 months) Most part of the southeast like southern AR, central MS, AL, GA or SC would have summer last about 6 months a year. Places that have very long summers are usually past the 30th parallel, roughly the northern limit of the Gulf of Mexico.

*If Melbourne's latitude (37.5 degrees?) was in the South, it would still have the same annual average temp,
but it's winters would average about 8/-2 C and summers about 31/20 C; stronger seasonal variation.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 02-26-2009 at 08:14 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 09:53 AM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
You never here me say come on down kaykay we can sit in the sun all day at the beach
And I will never say to Jammie oh a long hot summer, how wonderful....

Old 02-26-2009, 10:03 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
the way things are going around here, I can bet you will not hear me say:

Y'all come on down and let's go to see my son play ball in 20 degree weather, it feels so good sitting here with several layers of clothes on, two pair of socks with 'toasty toes' stuck to the socks; and 'hot hands' in my coat pockets keeping my frozen gloved shorn hands warm, and try to keep the dratted heater lit and my blanket away from it so not to catch a fire....Nope, you will never hear me say that, but if y'all want to join me in my misery I hear misery loves company!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post

I wish you girls could just send me about 50 degrees of that warmth.
And you know we'd do it too! When I went out at lunch, it was 81 already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather