Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:59 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,033,797 times

Advertisements

You know when you are in Cali when:

Everyones dying because humidity reached 60% for two days during the summer..

The sound of thunder in July makes every headline

You huddle up next to a camp fire on the beach

Fog is your best friend..and a great beach day..

Your toes..and other more sensitive parts.."thoroughly enjoy" taking a dip in the ocean, during the summer..

"Heavy" rain equals .50" and is depicted as a medium green on local radar..

You can't see the mountains less than 10 miles away on a warm summer afternoon..

You can't cozy up to a fire in the fire place on a rare cold winter's night..yes,..thats a law here now..

The hills in summer are about as Golden as a medium tan..

You "gear up" for mud slide season..

There exists something called "Earthquake Weather"..IE a couple warm summer days with humidity readings in the 60's or 70's and perhaps..a chance of ...or passing drip here, drop there Thunderstorm...

3 days above 90 are considered a Heat Wave...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Sol and Fran are in bed, and Fran pokes Sol in the ribs, "Would you close the window? It's cold outside." Sol mumbles, "So if I close the window, will it be warm outside?"

Old 03-02-2009, 12:46 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,845,503 times
If you don't like the weather in New England, wait five minutes.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:30 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Oh one last one. An intersting fact.

Did you know that England is the only country where there is a veritable statistical peak in "traveller's suicide" by travellers who visit the UK for more than 2 weeks on holiday due to such unexpectedly dull and drizzly weather.

"According to the NHS: TACCAD (traveller's acute crap climate affective disorder) - An extreme manifestation of the similar SAD (seasonal affective disorder) that has been known to particularly affect long term visitors or holidaymakers coming to the UK from, well, pretty much anywhere else really, except maybe Iceland.

Symptoms may include:

Unexplained changes in character and extreme lethargy
Walking into stuff (their eyes aren't used to such low level daytime darkness)
Severe depression and suicidal tendencies
Suicide

We would urge all visitors to the UK to limit their length of visit to just one weekend unless visiting any time between 1st June - 31st July."
That is sad, but interesting at the same time.
We're nearly that dark, but rather than being continuously filled with "doom-and-gloom"
we're occaisionaly filled with shock, mild panic and rage to the bitter cold
and that probably helps break up the extreme lethargy.

That being said, I believe a Canadian resident visiting the UK in winter should be okay,
as when it's dark but mild, people tend to feel less grumpy because it's not a "battle" to go outdoors.

A Canadian tourist to the UK in winter could keep reminding themselves
"...this is Dec, Jan or Feb; my skin should be stinging or numb, so this dreariness is comparatively nice..."
over and over, to drown out what their eyes are telling them. (perhaps even screaming at them, lol)

Old 03-02-2009, 05:28 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
"Everyone complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." --Mark Twain

Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,018,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
"Everyone complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." --Mark Twain

Oh believe me I have set up plans to blast hot, dry air into the atmosphere where clouds form to evaporate them for some sunshine. Now can you say controversy or what?

Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Oh believe me I have set up plans to blast hot, dry air into the atmosphere where clouds form to evaporate them for some sunshine. Now can you say controversy or what?
^^
Need a partner-in-crime?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:13 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,588,513 times
I'll even help to take those clouds off your shoulders. We see too much sun! Everyone here wears sunglasses 24/7, we all look like Terminators, without the leather jacket, it's too hot for that.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:52 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,243,012 times
What did the cow say to the tornado?

You mooooooooooove me.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:05 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
You know youre from Chicago when in January it hits 60 degrees and everyone is wearing shorts, but when it hits 60 in July everyone is shivering and wearing thick coats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather