Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 08:00 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,942,210 times

Advertisements

^^

Thank you!!! Nice post....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,748,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
^^

Thank you!!! Nice post....
It didn't sound bad to me either, if I imagined myself without my condition.

However, anything "brisk" or even described as a "little nip in the air" is crippling to me.
(so it's unlikely to bring me that level of joy and peace, though I'm envious of people who CAN enjoy it)

*I like seeing winter sunshine too; it's extremely scarce and completely uncharacteristic of winter.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:28 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,014,164 times
A fool on a weather forum:

"It would be great to have a sharp 3 or 4 day reminder of winter with some snow flying around so we will have to wait and see what this evenings runs have to say."

Why would it be great? WHY? WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD THAT BE GREAT? WHY, WHY??? WHY?? WHY??????????????????

Old 03-13-2009, 10:20 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,884,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post

"It would be great to have a sharp 3 or 4 day reminder of winter with some snow flying around so we will have to wait and see what this evenings runs have to say."

Why would it be great? WHY? WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD THAT BE GREAT? WHY, WHY??? WHY?? WHY??????????????????
I know how you feel. We have the same retards here.

Here is a pearler from the australian weather forum:

"haha. By the looks of it the BOM have down graded tomorrow in terms of storm production, so perhaps the cooler weather might be what the doctor ordered to revive the spirits. At least we can be guaranteed snow during the winter months, which i can look forward to that. ahh..snow."

so first of all, no storms, but then cold weather to "revive spirits". Three words: go to hell.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post

He can have what we had in January...
How about having clear 5-15 cm of ice and snow off your whole car at least 4 times a week, at random times throughout the day?
(because just clearing the windows, and not you roof, hood or trunk, the police will give you a ticket )

Old 03-13-2009, 01:35 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,451,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
It didn't sound bad to me either, if I imagined myself without my condition.

However, anything "brisk" or even described as a "little nip in the air" is crippling to me.
(so it's unlikely to bring me that level of joy and peace, though I'm envious of people who CAN enjoy it)

*I like seeing winter sunshine too; it's extremely scarce and completely uncharacteristic of winter.
I hear ya. I've tried to make myself like winter but I just can't do it.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:01 PM

48 posts, read 236,438 times
Most people who LOVE cold weather have not experienced a true, hellish winter. A winter where people have to suffer to survive winter. A winter where you have to move the bedrooms into the livingroom and shut down the upstairs because it is too expensive too heat. That means carrying down all the beds, dressers, and clothes because you will not have access to the second story for at least five months.
Don't forget the month of weekends prior to October spent cutting and stacking wood to prepare for the season. Every weekend, all weekend. Then there are the weekends spent putting plastic over all the windows, putting insulation in the sliding doors, and otherwise sealing up the house. Then there are the mornings standing in the freezing, painful cold scraping the car windows, shoveling the walkways, shoveling the driveways. And when I say mornings I mean every morning before work in the dark frigid cold for 5 or six months.
Then we have to deal with the fact that there is daylight from 7:30-4:30pm. Then darkness comes, and with the darkness come the bitter cold, the cold that makes it impossible to go anywhere and risk breaking down far from home.
Oh and lets not forget the dangers of winter driving, of the trips home from work that should only take 30 minutes but take an hour and a half due to hazardous conditions. Yeah, that is great fun the first five or six times, the thirtith or fourtith day in a row that you have a white knuckled ride home is not so much fun.
But hey, it was almost forty degrees today, so I am happier. We were able to go outside in our sweatshirts and enjoy the warm weather today. We were excited because we didn't have to wear coats, hats, gloves, scarves, and boots. Just sweatshirts and sneakers and 38 degrees. It is going to be 45 on Tuesday and I guarentee we will see people in shorts. Too bad it is going to drop back down into the twenties and snow later this week, but we will enjoy the warm weather while it lasts!

Old 03-14-2009, 07:07 PM

^^

Wow, that's worse than here.

Our homes tend to be very well insulated and a month's cost of heating is in the coldest months the cost of 2 weeks of groceries for a small family.
(annoying, but most people don't do without heat)

Are you in a rural area? Old farm house perhaps?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:52 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,014,164 times
Winter's coming back on the 19th here with a freezing north east wind, persistent cloud and even light snow showers. Temps a raw 28-32f by night and 38-39f by day predicted for the 21-27th.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:24 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,384,632 times
Michelle, excellent post. It reminds me of my childhood cause we did all those things and I'd forgotten about the plastic on the windows. AND we sometimes ended up being snowed in for weeks at a time cause the snow was too high the maintainer wouldn't go through. I went to a country school and there were many days my Dad and the horses got me there cause the roads were impassable. It was a very hard life and I don't know how the generation before me survived. They were amazing. No furnaces in houses and no AC. That part of my childhood isn't something I'd like to go back to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather