Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 04:48 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Infact Vancouver's summers are cooler than Londons.

London (Heathrow) average maxes are 20.8C, 23.3C and 23.1C for June, July & August respectively, compared with Vancouvers 19.2C, 21.7C and 21.9C. Not to mention London's record is 101F, something Vancouver hasnt got near to.
It depends where in Vancouver you are. There are a lot of microclimates here due to the varying terrain. Right by the water where the airport is, those are the averages you listed but the outer suburbs are several degrees warmer and Abbotsford station has hit 100F (37.8C) before.

Vancouver Int'l Airport
Canadian Climate Normals 1971-2000 | Canada's National Climate Archive

Abbotsford Airport (inland suburb)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 06:48 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Sure but if you consider the entire year, then Melbourne's climate isn't that much of a failure.
Melbourne's annual averages temps are what I would expect from a latitude of 37 degrees.
(Similar to central Virginia, southern Kentucky, parts of northern California)

But since this thread was supposed to be about sunshine, ()
I'm curious as to how cloudy Melbourne is, given its latitude and low altitude.
My suspicion is that its average sunshine hours are pretty-low for the 37th parallel.
Perhaps more common for latitudes at 40-49 degrees from the equator...
Anyone want to take a stab at that?

Old 03-20-2010, 07:28 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Melbourne's annual averages temps are what I would expect from a latitude of 37 degrees.

My suspicion is that its average sunshine hours are pretty-low for the 37th parallel.
Lower than most of the US at that latitude, higher than some of the Atlantic, lower than most of Asia but Japan and far east of China might be exceptions. South America variable on either side, Auckland lower, most of the southern ocean extent lower. The northern hemisphere has far more continental landmass than the southern at that latitude, so this would be expected. Melbourne is only quasi-continental, and the "logical" equator is north of the "physical" equator.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:14 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo1995 View Post
Was just putting the example out there as to why people complain about your summers.

I understand the distance from the equator but at the end of the day English summers are short and suck. A lot of us have 5 months or more in shorts and t-shirts. Same can't be said of you guys.
Nor for us guys mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
IN your opinion. I'd take them over the much shorter summers in various Russian and Canadian cities at the same parallel, which incidentally have much cooler minima (compared with 14C/58F in London).

Melbourne ain't one of them
Also I know England isn't but how many places at 51-55* latitude are, genius? Give me average max of 35C average low of 25C before I go shorts and T-shirt anyway.

It's still funny how July & August in London are barely 2C cooler on average than the respective months in Melbourne and they're nearly 15 degrees latitude difference from the equator. And gets more thunderstorms! Melbourne's a fail of a climate.

In fact there are numerous examples of June, July August in London being warmer than the respective month in Melbourne, for example June 2009 in London was 1C warmer (17.2C) than December 2008 in Failbourne (16.4C), which had a pathetically low average minima of 10C. Many more examples. Hahaha. Fail. Wouldn't happen with say, Sevilla Spain or Athens Greece, "real" climates.
Damo is one of the infinate number of weatherfans in Melbourne who seem to have this delusion that we live in Mecca or Kinshasha-Congo and that 5 thunderstorms per year constitutes an "excellent" storm "season".

There are alot of ridiculous posts on the australian weather forums about how we are having a "5 month summer" and other related garbage, but I have to dig them out before we can laugh at them.

Quote:
But those places get far superior summers.

Quote:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_086071.shtml

Last edited by §AB; 03-20-2010 at 10:25 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 AM

813 posts, read 951,354 times
[quote=§AB;13379620]Nor for us guys mate

Damo is one of the infinate number of weatherfans in Melbourne who seem to have this delusion that we live in Mecca or Kinshasha-Congo and that 5 thunderstorms per year constitutes an "excellent" storm "season".

There are alot of ridiculous posts on the australian weather forums about how we are having a "5 month summer" and other related garbage, but I have to dig them out before we can laugh at them.

Since late October we have had 149 days and 4 days have been under 20C so yes I think we have had 5 months of summer.

You are the one who is dillusional!!!

I don't think we live in a desert (and thank god for that) but I reckon we live in a great climate. You love putting words in peoples mouths...lol

Last edited by damo1995; 03-23-2010 at 07:04 AM..

Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,930 times
[quote=damo1995;13411801]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamo1995 View Post

Since late October we have had 149 days and 4 days have been under 20C so yes I think we have had 5 months of summer.
20C is not hot for god's sake.

On average a Eastern US city at 37 degrees latitude has had 170 days above 20C between 1st April - 30th September, and 90 above 30C, this from a load of stats I compiled. When did Melbourne ever get 90+ days above 30C in a year. 30c is the threshold by which I take my fleece off and wear a T-shirt, less than that aint summer. (And yes I acknowledge that England has no summer). Also this area gets approx. 36 days with thunderstorms in that period compared with 6 (LOL) in Melbourne.

However, it's been a frantic season in Melbourne for storms this time, with a whopping 13 thunder days!

Even in Lincoln, England where I was in summer there were 18 days with thunder between May and September

Last edited by RichardW; 03-23-2010 at 07:35 AM..

Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 AM

Back to sunshine, ()

I think I found the sunniest climate in Canada, Medicine Hat: (53.9% chance of sun, annually)

And the sunniest month anywhere in Canada, Weyburn: (71.9% in July, vs. Medicine Hat's 71.3% in July)

Winter is still "dismal" in both locations, but the other 8-9 months of the year don't look bad, imho.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Back to sunshine, ()

I think I found the sunniest climate in Canada, Medicine Hat: (53.9% chance of sun, annually)

And the sunniest month anywhere in Canada, Weyburn: (71.9% in July, vs. Medicine Hat's 71.3% in July)

Winter is still "dismal" in both locations, but the other 8-9 months of the year don't look bad, imho.
Actually it look as if they've computed the annual average % wrongly - by averaging monthly %ages, an ancient mistake. The total is 2513 hours, and even out of a total of (say) 4420 hours, that comes out as 56.8%. In reality given the Campbell-Stokes instruments probably used to measure in most or all of that period, the measurable maximum would be no more than about 4250, giving an even higher percentage value.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Actually it look as if they've computed the annual average % wrongly - by averaging monthly %ages, an ancient mistake. The total is 2513 hours, and even out of a total of (say) 4420 hours, that comes out as 56.8%. In reality given the Campbell-Stokes instruments probably used to measure in most or all of that period, the measurable maximum would be no more than about 4250, giving an even higher percentage value.
I know, the % is wrong... ("officially" wrong too, )
but I thought people who like sunshine stats would like to see some sunnier Canadian stats.
Perhaps as a comparison with other sunny climates.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I know, the % is wrong... ("officially" wrong too, )
but I thought people who like sunshine stats would like to see some sunnier Canadian stats.
Perhaps as a comparison with other sunny climates.

..by pointing out the error, I've shown that the sunnier Canadian places are even better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather