Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 05:44 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
..by pointing out the error, I've shown that the sunnier Canadian places are even better!
2513 hours is pretty good, and hours remain hours; can't screw that up.
Too bad the only parts of Canada like that are "nearly semi-arid" and annual temps that are "nearly sub-Arctic."
However at least that should mean they have awesome summer weather.
They even have something for heat-lovers:

Weyburn
Record highs: Jun 40.5 C, Jul 41.7 C, Aug 40 C
Days at 30+ C: 16.5
Days at 35+ C: 2.2

Medicine Hat
Record highs: Jun 41.7 C, Jul 42.2 C, Aug 41.1 C
Days at 30+ C: 23.6
Days at 35+ C: 2.3

I myself have been fortunate enough to catch a cloudless 30 C day while driving across the Manitoba Prairies.
It was serene. *drool*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 03:54 AM

813 posts, read 951,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickW View Post

20C is not hot for god's sake.

On average a Eastern US city at 37 degrees latitude has had 170 days above 20C between 1st April - 30th September, and 90 above 30C, this from a load of stats I compiled. When did Melbourne ever get 90+ days above 30C in a year. 30c is the threshold by which I take my fleece off and wear a T-shirt, less than that aint summer. (And yes I acknowledge that England has no summer). Also this area gets approx. 36 days with thunderstorms in that period compared with 6 (LOL) in Melbourne.

However, it's been a frantic season in Melbourne for storms this time, with a whopping 13 thunder days!

Even in Lincoln, England where I was in summer there were 18 days with thunder between May and September
You have got to be joking.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:25 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times
DickW ...... real original bud.

Sorry if the facts of Melbourne's crap climate are so hard to take. Infact, I think 13 thunderdays is an overestimation if anything, and we certainly dont get 90 days over 30C like places like Norfolk, Virginia and all that. We are super lucky to get 30 days over 30C in this subarctic maritime climate. Damo, you are a tool, you seem to think we live in equatorial Africa like all the other mongs on the aus forums, because cleary. 20C is extremely hot and devastating and insuffareble as many a retard on the aus nazi forums believes, and to defend yourself you insult someone who dares tell the truth. Bite me mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo1995
Since late October we have had 149 days and 4 days have been under 20C so yes I think we have had 5 months of summer.
Wow, that is amazing. So 20C is warm enough to be considered summer. Good lord, even the folks in Oslo would be laughing. 5 months of summer, holy crap what a laugh, then I guess Perf has 10-11 months of summer, Sydney has 10-11 months of summer, Adelaide has 9 months of summer.....these cities actually do get 5 months of summer....we don't bud, we are much colder than all of these bloody locations due to our subarctic latitude which promotes regular cold fronts year round.

We have 4-6 weeks of "summer" at most, and that is not consequtive weeks as we always get extended periods of cold 20-23C weather which can last up to 2 weeks, even in January Not to mention we are one of the least stormiest places on Earth, but we get 180 days of gloomy slate-grey stratocrapulus fun sexy times, which you no doubt enjoy to the max.

If ya want summer and storms mate, go to NSW or better yet Perfffffffff or any remaining 98% of the country

Last edited by §AB; 03-24-2010 at 06:40 AM..

Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 AM

578 posts, read 1,188,206 times
London gets about 20 thunderstorms a year and about 6 days above 30C in an average summer. Despite our low sunshine total of 1600 hours annually, we still get about 315 days a year with measurable sunshine.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:18 AM

What if damo is just being optimistic,
with 20 C counting as summer because its "warm enough" to handle t-shirt and shorts?
That's what summer means to Canadians; summer has nothing to do with implying "heat."
Nothing wrong with being more easily contented by a greater variety of weather.

If I really wanted to wear shorts and a t-shirt,
I could "handle it" on a 20/12 C day, during daylight hours.
On a sunny day, any daylight temps of 16+ C would be nice in t-shirt and shorts if the winds weren't too strong.

Myself, I would loosely count 21/70 F as "summer-like,"
but for weather to be "truely summer-like," it "should" be 30+ C, or at least 27-29 C like on a cloudy day.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:25 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,018,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tardo1995 View Post
You have got to be joking.

Not in the slightest. Not once in England have I had to go down to a T-shirt since we haven't reached 30c where I've been since 2006. Only in Rome in 2007 (up to 33c) did I go down to a T-shirt. For real.Oh nice gag on the name Richard/Dick BTW, you are so original and funny, pity the latter is what you use to think with as there's nothing between your ears though.

On the matter of sunshine hours. Buxton has beaten the average of 88.7 hours as of 23rd though it was overcast all day today. We average 1,100 hours per annum here which is somewhat behind anywhere else in England as the hills create orographically enhanced cloud.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What if damo is just being optimistic,
with 20 C counting as summer because its "warm enough" to handle t-shirt and shorts?
That's what summer means to Canadians; summer has nothing to do with implying "heat."
Nothing wrong with being more easily contented by a greater variety of weather.
Buuut, if there is the slightest bit of wind and/or cloud, then that 20C becomes pretty cool, certainly not shorts weather.

Quote:
If I really wanted to wear shorts and a t-shirt,
I could "handle it" on a 20/12 C day, during daylight hours.
On a sunny day, any daylight temps of 16+ C would be nice in t-shirt and shorts if the winds weren't too strong.
I couldn't do that!

Quote:
Myself, I would loosely count 21/70 F as "summer-like,"
but for weather to be "truely summer-like," it "should" be 30+ C, or at least 27-29 C like on a cloudy day.
21C feels like summer (and by Melbourne standards an excellent temp) anywhere between May-October. However, in summer, it is well below average and with one acclimatised to warmer temps, it feels cool.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Buuut, if there is the slightest bit of wind and/or cloud, then that 20C becomes pretty cool, certainly not shorts weather.
Any amount of activity or beer could fix my inability to "handle" 20 C in shorts in a driving rain.

Quote:
I couldn't do that!
Yet you are not phased by having 12 C indoors,
when I would feel like a P.O.W. with 12 C indoors.

Quote:
21C feels like summer (and by Melbourne standards an excellent temp) anywhere between May-October. However, in summer, it is well below average and with one acclimatised to warmer temps, it feels cool.
Again, he could be just optimistic... (though I don't expect you to understand )
I think I remember him saying Melbourne resident's "hope" for 25-35 C.
The fact the air can feel cool does not "prevent" me from wearing shorts...
Temps like 15-16 C in summer are just an "agitator" for me, like having a few "mozzies" around you.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Any amount of activity or beer could fix my inability to "handle" 20 C in shorts in a driving rain.
Yuck

Quote:
et you are not phased by having 12 C indoors,
when I would feel like a P.O.W. with 12 C indoors.
I did say I *couldn't* handle that.

Quote:
Again, he could be just optimistic... (though I don't expect you to understand )
I think I remember him saying Melbourne resident's "hope" for 25-35 C.
The fact the air can feel cool does not "prevent" me from wearing shorts...
Temps like 15-16 C in summer are just an "agitator" for me, like having a few "mozzies" around you.
In general residents here might hope for temps of 25-35C, but the *weatherfans* here cry and sook like a 5 year old girl who just lost her puppy whenever it goes above 20-25C. And they go and claim ridiculous things like we have a "5 month" summer. What a pile of toss, obviously they havent experienced climates where its actaully warm to hot *consistently* in summer. Damo can beleive what ever crap he wants, but personally, to me, 9C at night and 20C during the day is not summer. Anyone who believes so obviously spent their previous life on Pluto.

Is October blessed with summer weather here? NO. Is April...NO. Hell sometimes even December and February is cold and wintry, with 2008 being a classic example, and in the case of February, 2002 was a "pearler"

Old 03-24-2010, 04:08 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post

On the matter of sunshine hours. Buxton has beaten the average of 88.7 hours as of 23rd though it was overcast all day today. We average 1,100 hours per annum here which is somewhat behind anywhere else in England as the hills create orographically enhanced cloud.
I checked on your claims about Buxton. Even in the dreary times of 1931-1960 with a probably poorly-exposed site, the average was 1133. However, in the last decade things have been different:

1283h in 2002 with E&W 97% of normal, 1621h in 2003 with E&W 118%, 1302h in 2004 with E&W figure was 102%. These figures suggest a more recent annual average sunshine should be of the order 1300-1350h. This data has been obtained from a person who has a very extensive collection of climatological data. This recent suggested average is not very much different from lowland areas west of the Pennines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather