Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 04:10 PM

11 posts, read 21,629 times

Advertisements

Nothing is more frustrating than an extended weather forecast from TV Meteorologists. This is a very important weekend and I need to make my outdoor plans by tomorrow because we have family coming from out of town.

So I checked the various television weather reports and they all have completely different forecasts and I do not understand why. If they could all get together and come up with a conclusion.

Why do the various TV weather forecasters have such different forecasts for a few days out?

Last edited by great_poster; 04-01-2009 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,219,301 times
One.... I don't think the producers would be too happy if they couldn't claim their forecasts were more "accurate" then the others.

Two.... science is all about having several opinions until one is proven right. One forecaster may weigh a variable (winds, nearby storm system, sunshine coverage) differently than the other guy.

Three.... there are instances where none of the meteorologists get a forecast right. The weather is still highly unpredictable, though we do our best to predict it.

I personally like hearing a collection of opinions. If you listen to them all, you can learn a great deal.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:12 PM

14,284 posts, read 14,522,716 times
I always compare the local TV stations with NOAA's long range and usually come up with something
pretty accurate! Of course, being by Lake Michigan I have to give everyone lots of leeway!

Old 04-02-2009, 12:19 PM

314 posts, read 1,033,911 times
more than 3 days ahead is very inaccurate. The flow of weather in the atmosphere is like liquid in a stream; extremely chaotic. 1 day ahead is pretty much perfect. 2 days ahead is pretty good. 3 days ahead is ok. more than 3 days is scientifically not good.

You would be better off checking the local weather service than tv. Just go to weather.gov and put in your zip code. You can click on the day and read the discussion to figure out what the situation is. They explain the uncertainty in those situation

ie they might say "precip is expected to come in saturday late night but we are unsure on the timing and it could be slowed and come in sunday morning." wheas the 5 day forecast you see on tv would just have a raindrop on saturday or sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather