Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:44 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

The snowier than usual winter in NH has meant rather severe salt spray damage for some trees that are close to roadways and interstate highways. I was out today and observed quite a bit of salt spray damage to white pine and hemlock trees that were close to roadways.
I am thinking that with the price of deicing chemicals going through the roof that they will switch over to a different blend soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 08:07 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I'll have to pay attention when I drive up to Point Beach State Park. The trees are really close to the road along there. Around here though they cut back some on salt, mixing it with more gravel due to number of storms, expenses, etc.!

Old 04-04-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I'll have to pay attention when I drive up to Point Beach State Park. The trees are really close to the road along there. Around here though they cut back some on salt, mixing it with more gravel due to number of storms, expenses, etc.!
I think the salt spray damage is more severe when an interstate highway goes through a particular area. I was on I-89 today in NH. My reasoning is that tractor trailers spray all of the chemicals in a much greater radius compared to secondary roads and rural roads that use a heavier sand mixture.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:30 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,559 times
That's another factor in the many reasons why I have a strong hatred of cold, snowy weather.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:45 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,495,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
and then you deal with rock chips and cracked windshields. SD, anyway!

Old 04-05-2009, 05:32 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
That's another factor in the many reasons why I have a strong hatred of cold, snowy weather.
^^

I am also a gardener, and I love how in more "southerly" climates, people plant trees, even gardens mere inches away from the road.

Can't really do that here;
the gardens would get burnt from the salt,
crushed from the ice and snow being piled on top of them,
and trees will get hit by the snow plow blade.

Roads and sidewalks are made a lot wider to accomodate the snow piles,
so you get a lot more pavement and a lot less green per square mile in typical sububran areas too.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,559 times
One nice thing about the north are the gardens up there. I notice there are higher concentrations of elaborate gardens with several flowers in the summertime, mainly because winter is so long that people feel the need to enjoy the flowers while they last.

Here in Texas, at least, we have flowers, but not to the extent that you will see up north in the summer.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^

I am also a gardener, and I love how in more "southerly" climates, people plant trees, even gardens mere inches away from the road.

Can't really do that here;
the gardens would get burnt from the salt,
crushed from the ice and snow being piled on top of them,
and trees will get hit by the snow plow blade.

Roads and sidewalks are made a lot wider to accomodate the snow piles,
so you get a lot more pavement and a lot less green per square mile in typical sububran areas too.
I think some of the trees recover here near the interstates, but it takes them many months to after the winter has ended. I always notice it around February and March when the white pine needles start turning bright red to orange. Of course, they salt the interstate highways the most.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:44 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times
I'm sure all that salt will rust away your cars in a hurry aswell.

There is absolutely no positive to winter.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
I'm sure all that salt will rust away your cars in a hurry aswell.

There is absolutely no positive to winter.
Modern cars tend to be less prone to rust. However, it gets a little rough given the fact that my area has seen 215 inches of snow the last two winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather