Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
yer I do some night fill laboring at the department store. That makes winter nights not feel like death.

btw, i'd take pigging out on fast food and booze on the couch any day over "strenous excercise". My work counts as excecise.
Nice. I've done general labour too.
Sometimes it was enjoyable, depending on the tasks.

I find having my heart rate above 115 beats per minute makes me a lot warmer than over-eating.
Drinking a lot works too, but can feel terrible afterwards. ("cotton mouth", headache or worse )

*Sounds like you might be tired after work; rightfully so.
Me too sometimes... (job tasks change frequently for myself, so most of the time, not really)
Do you have a "space heater" for where you like to relax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 06:21 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Nice. I've done general labour too.
Sometimes it was enjoyable, depending on the tasks.

I find having my heart rate above 115 beats per minute makes me a lot warmer than over-eating.
Drinking a lot works too, but can feel terrible afterwards. ("cotton mouth", headache or worse )
I break a sweat almost immediately after starting work, so physical excercise for me is the no. 1 way of getting hot.

I get wasted all the time - mostly for the "mood enhancing properties" that grog provides, but I hate the hangovers! Well actually, I stop drinking when I do get into a good mood (about 6-8 standard drinks), seems to avoid the worst hangover symptoms

Quote:
*Sounds like you might be tired after work; rightfully so.
Me too sometimes... (job tasks change frequently for myself, so most of the time, not really)
I don't really get tired, just real thirsty! There's nothing like a cold soft drink or Alcopop after a shift

Quote:
Do you have a "space heater" for where you like to relax?
What's a space heater?

Old 04-14-2009, 06:24 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Very nice! That would be awesome if you could.
Myself, I've thought of spending my summers in the U.S. South, and going futher south in winter, like the Caribbean, Central/South America or southern hemisphere.
(rather than the typical "winters in the South and summers up north" pattern )

I'm still human,
but I think the main factor in making it difficult for me to not overheat is that 72 F (22 C) is "pleasantly cool," but not "warm."
My reference for a "median temperature" probably 10-15 F (6-8 C) higher than the average adult.
For me, 76-84 F (25-29 C) feels in-between "hot" and "cold."

I don't think I'd enjoy a frozen vest unless I was doing "strenuous excersize" combined with temperatures at 35+ C. (95+ F)

*Yes, -28 C is a temperature... (unfortuneately)
I've seen HIGH'S forecast at -34 C and -36 C. (w/ low's forecast at -39 to -40 C)

** Most Canadian homes and businesses with good central heating have no problem at keeping a house at 22 C when it's minus-30's C something outside.
Wouldn't it though? I've always been envious of them living that life!
I guess you guys would have to go south for the winter to get warm! hehe! That would land me in Tassie or worse ANTARCTICA!!!

To be honest I've not put a lot of thought into what my ideal temps are. Maybe I should.

How do you guys cope if the weather takes out the power though?????? It's shocking here if the power goes out and I had quite the battle with the electricity company this summer when they decided on forced brown outs over the hottest days!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:12 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Why is it that when someone complains about the cold, other people say toughen up? But I've never heard someone say toughen up to someone complaining about the heat. Why is it accepted as tough to handle the cold, but not to handle the heat? Isn't it just as tough if someone can handle the heat?

As someone that handles heat better than cold, this baffles me. People like ColdCanadian and I deserve just as much recognition for being tough as the people that handle the cold.

If you ever get a chance to read some of my posts you will see that I love Cold weather. I love cold weather so much I have a chat group dedicated to people who love cold weather. I am much more comfortable with below freezing temperatures( 32-0-to-10 and so forth) than a blazing 85-115 degrees.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:25 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
If you ever get a chance to read some of my posts you will see that I love Cold weather. I love cold weather so much I have a chat group dedicated to people who love cold weather. I am much more comfortable with below freezing temperatures( 32-0-to-10 and so forth) than a blazing 85-115 degrees.
I think you may have misunderstood my post. I saw your rep comment and I don't love cold weather; I hate it.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
What's a space heater?
A plug-in 1500 Watt heater with a built-in fan.
(usually the maximum amount of wattage that "low wattage" residential circuits can handle)

Old 04-21-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Wouldn't it though? I've always been envious of them living that life!
I guess you guys would have to go south for the winter to get warm! hehe! That would land me in Tassie or worse ANTARCTICA!!!

To be honest I've not put a lot of thought into what my ideal temps are. Maybe I should.

How do you guys cope if the weather takes out the power though?????? It's shocking here if the power goes out and I had quite the battle with the electricity company this summer when they decided on forced brown outs over the hottest days!
Yes,
but summers in the north are too cool, as are winters in the southern U.S.
So, I'd want to be tropical in the winter and sub-tropical in the summer...
(not sub-tropical in winter and temperate in summer )

An electric generator makes it easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather